Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Professional A$$ Kicker
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug: I'm having a hard time finding any clear explanation of accuracy and barrel length. Does Barrel length affect accuracy? I do know that barrel length doesn't affect range.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
There are probably a million threads on this already but I'll break it down for you. Barrel length does not influence accuracy at all. If you want accuracy you need good quality paint, a regulated air source and the most underrated of all...TIME ON THE FIELD! Barrels are by and large all marketing and as far as I've ever seen the only thing that makes your barrel any better is keeping it clean. So buy a good swab and squeegee. Not as cool as a Teflon coated Titanium infused barrel forged in the blood of a dozen virgins but there you have it.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
I would have to agree with the above
The biggest influence is paint quality

Buy the best, most expensive barrel on the market, and shoot the absolute worst paint through it, and you won't hit a damn thing

There are certain barrels out there that people get for their specific looks, colors, or features, but by in large, the barrel is a glorified tube

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
I would have to agree with the above
The biggest influence is paint quality

Buy the best, most expensive barrel on the market, and shoot the absolute worst paint through it, and you won't hit a damn thing

There are certain barrels out there that people get for their specific looks, colors, or features,
Or because they shoot through breaks better than other barrels. That's my main reason for buying my personal favorite.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
me as......ahh crap i still dont have one

paint to bore match plays a roll in accuracy but its very small after the paint quality
YOu know, there's one for sale in BST right now. nudge nudge wink wink.

·
Professional A$$ Kicker
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info. I do understand that having a stock barrel isn't as "COOL" as having a 35" laser guided carbon fiber tricomposite quadpiece barrel, but if you do buy one then you will easily look like the village idiot. BTW I live in North West Florida and it gets humid as HELL here. I have heard that over-boring is crucial to get proper accuracy when your paint is affected by humidity and heat to get proper accuracy and to not break paint. I have heard on many articles that in extremely humid conditions people sometimes use barrels up to .695.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
It's been debated, but it all comes down to what you like to shoot
If you like underboring, than go underbore!
If you like overboring, than that's fine too
:)

Just remember that the most crucial part of paintball accuracy is high quality paint

·
Professional A$$ Kicker
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just remember over-boring lets you shot more consistently and accurately especially when you are in very hot and humid conditions. It also keeps you from buying expensive barrel kits and breaking paint then going to a larger size barrel midgame.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
yep. but over boring also makes you loose more air per shot. It's a trade-off
Yeah but how much air per shot? It isn't like you are going to cut your efficiency in half if the paint fits a bit loose. The last three years I've given up on barrel kits and all that razzamatazz and I use single piece standard barrels .687 or .689 and I've seen absolutely no difference in air efficiency or anything like that. With paint sizes today that is almost a huge overbore and again no perceivable difference.

·
Professional A$$ Kicker
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes if you overbore you will lose a tiny amount of gas. But it doesn't matter to me because my field provides free air!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts