Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gettin a bass guitar this summer. I already know the basics, how to pluck the strings, how to read tabs, etc. I have no guitar experience so does anyone have any advice, tips, suggestions? thanks

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
just keep playing, and learn to play slap. Thats where the fun is at. Also don't just learn tabliture, learn actual notes and stuff, its a lot better because you can see the time signature. And for strings, ghs boomer 40/45-100/105 are great all around strings. I personally love my D'addario slowounds. DR have great sound in the beginning but wear out after a while.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Keep playing.. dont worry about slap until you are completely comfortably playing normally. And for god sake... dont use a pick. Just learn a couple easy songs. Master them. Learn them to the point where you can play them without even thinking, and the same every time. Then move to a bit harder of songs, then harder, faster songs. A nice song i learned that has helped me is Calm Like a Bomb By Rage Against The Machine. Learn the intro when you are ready for a challenge. Now i could probably play it in my sleep, but it really helped at that stage. Learn very easy songs first though, just remember that. When you are ready for slap, let me know. I'm still working on it myself.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
hehe im the only bassist I know that can play slap (cept for my bass teacher) its funny because targ3t sounds a lot more experienced than me. I forgot something though, if you are really bored and wanna play bass go to www.mxtabs.net, they have great tabs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
lol i bet you've played for longer than me, but i play A LOT. When i say A LOT i mean A LOT. I can slap, im just trying to get better at it.

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
lol, depends on the style of music you're going to play. You may not need slap. I've only been playing for a little over two years now, taking a break to teach myself guitar, but the style of music i play and listen to doesn't really involve slap, well, RHCP, but i can make do :)

- Brian

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Targ3tPractic3 said:
lol i bet you've played for longer than me, but i play A LOT. When i say A LOT i mean A LOT. I can slap, im just trying to get better at it.
a year and a half 15 minutes every 2 days. You? Sometimes I play for hours. Just go to Mxtabs and rock myself silly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Since after xmas rofl... i haven't played for very long at all. I'm a fast learner.

·
Registered
905 Posts
well my friend. it depends if you wanna get "good" or you wanna actually learn the instrument. you can get "good" by just learning some easy songs that everyone knows and showing them to your friends. To actually learn the instrument you need to learn all the notes on the fret board, as well as scales, modes, playing styles/techniques w/e. and just cuz you can slap doesnt mean you are good.

-guitar pro 4-

awsome program. it does cost money but you find it on kazaa in no time. if you get it go to www.mysongbook.com for free tabs.

-www.mxtabs.net-
like the other guy said you can get some good free lessons there. also look around in their forums too you can learn alot.

-music to listen to-

stu hamm
victor wooten
jaco pastorius
primus
beck
jamiraqui (sp)
others......

feel free to AIM me : The Sea Bass99

1 - 10 of 10 Posts