Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and Paintball. I quote;

Cost Efficiency: If you do not have a money tree, go with a pump gun. It saves you money and after playing and getting used to a pump, you will rock with an electric. Pumps teach conservation, accuracy and force you to play smarter paintball. For this category, go with a Phantom. It will cost a lot at first, but pay for itself over time. A low-end base model phantom would get the job done.
So even though I'm a beginner, would a pump gun be good for me? I remember playing video games, looking up cheats so I could beat it. Then I'd play it the normal way and would still have a hard time on the easiest mode. My brother said it's because I chose the cheap way before the hard way. I remember watching a paintball team who only used pumps, nothing but. I'd like to choose a gun that will help teach me the skills that are necessary for paintball. Not teach me, but help teach me. If this is the wrong place, and I know you guys get a lot of newbies coming in and asking what kind of gun. Hopefully this question differs from those that are just what kind of gun should I get. I'd like to know about how well a pump gun would be for a beginner, should I get one or should I just get a semi-automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If u get a stock cocker, all u would have to do is get a pump conversion kit, cheap or more depending on ur budget. Yes I agree pumps teach u to become a better paintball player. You will rely on ur skill rather than firepower. I have shot 4000 paintballs in a single day. I got into credit card debt trying to keep up. After a year I decided to quit. Now i want to come back but with my pump cocker that the guys here have been helping me with. If I want to go back to semi auto, I just have to put the front pnumatics back on. But easier said than done for me. I'm sure the guys here will be able to help with that. Just my humble opion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
hmm, well i have a phantom. therefore i happen to be biased towards them. i have a few questions:

1. have you played at all before (i'm assuming not, but it's not 100% clear)?
2. do any of your friends play already?

If the answer to the first question is no, then i would suggest renting a gun the first couple of times you play. this may seem like a waste of money, but trust me, it will save you in the long run. just play and make sure paintball is really something you want to invest in. then think to yourself, how much fun would i be having if i could only shoot 1 ball per second max (as opposed to a rental p.o.s.). practice conserving ammo and all that and see if that type of thing is for you.

if the answer to the second question is yes, then i would suggest you try out their different guns. the more you get the feel for paintball, the more ready you will be to make a decision. also, you will be able to try different types of guns.

one big point i want to make clear: pump is not for everyone. because you are already a beginner, you will find it extremely hard to do anything at first. you will get shot out a lot, and you won't make very many kills. you will feel overpowered by other people with high end semis. just a word of caution.

even so, i live for these types of situations. i believe they create a great learning environment, as long as you have the right attitude and work ethic....

...i think pump is more fun than semi (i've played both, and i own both types of guns), but thats just me. see if you can try a pump first.

the next thing to worry about (assuming you decide on getting a pump) is what kind. i would say maybe go used since its your first gun. that way you will be able to invest less, but still get a good gun. just look around different forums and ebay. you also have to decide whether you want to play stock class (only having 10-15 balls at a time, and 12g CO2) versus playing with a gravity fed hopper and/or a larger air tank.

as a closing note (i know this is long), i think the advantages of pump are:

1. small profile (won't get hit as easily, as long as you are in the right position)
2. light setup, so you can run faster, and switch hands easier
3. people will respect you more (once you prove yourself)
4. people will think your gun is really cool
5. people will underestimate you
6. it will save you craploads of money
7. it will make you a better all-around player
8. more of an adrenaline rush

and many more...

i know this doesn't really answer all of your questions, and it's kind of vague. but it's meant to be that way. in the end, it's your decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, both of you guys helped pretty well.I'm just unsure of whether to get a pump. I'm not even sure what pump and semi auto is really. But I think if it'd make me a better player then I'd like to get one. Of course, as you said, rent the first few games I play and try out my friends guns. Cheaper would probably help my parents out and I think my friend Joel knows a place where I can just go play with him and his friends so I can practice and not have to pay for more games.

Feeling overpowered might be my weakness. I can go in with a great attitude. If I do bad, I can still have a great attitude but if I get pulverised (like I probably will with a pump) I can get discouraged.

I probably sound like a stupid newb but can someone tell me the difference between pump and semi-auto. Auto is you just hold it down and it sprays, Semi-auto is you pull the trigger every time and pump is you load it with paintballs each time?

·
Registered
331 Posts
alright. auto is not allowed really anywhere. semi auto, pull the trigger once, one ball comes out (simply put...i won't get into ramping and such). so basically, what you see on TV at all those tourneys, theyre all using semi auto. they just move their fingers very fast. so basically, semi auto, you can shoot very fast (actually faster than auto).

pump, on the other hand.....you must pump the gun once before every shot (not unlike a bb gun). so its very slow.

wait a while before making a final decision. only buy when youre absolutely sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll probably go hang out with Joel and practice, see what kind of markers they use and how they work. And/or go to a field and rent. There's a local field here in Denver that rents $40 gear for a day. Then when I'm good and ready I'll post what I'm considering and see what responses I get. In between all that I think I'll look up information on markers, the game, different fields, ect. Sound like a plan? At least, a good one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ya go weak et a semi wait full auto better yet paint thrower or boozaka( if they still make them) it's the easy way while ur at it get a tackital nuke(20+ pineapples gernades tied together) but if it was me PUMP rocks and it's not like i don't have the money to buy a top ranking gun. I find i get a hella of a better rush with a pump

1 - 8 of 8 Posts