Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
IMO, a Bolt Out Back body is the best single upgrade for the Ion. After that, QEV. If you want it to be easier to use, a clamping feedneck and on/off ASA. But those aren't necessary, just convenient. A trigger that you like (I put a Critical on mine, favorite trigger) if you don't like the stock one. But the stock one is perfectly serviceable, if you have nothing against it, don't waste the money. I wouldn't bother upgrading board or bolt. They're just a waste of money and aren't anywhere NEAR a good value considering the little (if ANY) performance gains you get from those upgrades.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does a bolt out back do also i can shoot twice as fast as the stock board lets me. i also dont really have anything against the stock triggers its just i think i will maximise my preformance by it

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
A QEV helps increase your efficiency, and with an Ion, you will notice it
After that, a clamping feedneck and maybe a roller bearing trigger

If you wanna go more, then it's up to you, but it's not needed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was going to get a QEV and a trigger but which trigger i wwas thinking about a sling blade i think that is what it is called.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was going to get a qev, body kit, tadao board, trigger, superfly bolt, jersey, pants, dye blue I4 goggles, virtue eyes, pod pack, and a halo b hopper with V35 and rip drive.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
As long as you don't mind the cost, go for it. Just to let you know, the superfly bolt, Tadao board, virtue eyes all will have negligible effect on performance. They're just aftermarket parts, the bolt is an EXTREMELY minor performance gain, the other 2 are none. As long as you're ok with paying the price for something that doesn't help, it's your money.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Well, the thing is that with stock parts (and a QEV), it's not FAR from being able to achieve max performance. The aftermarket parts like bolts and such can help, it's just that is the EXTREMELY minor amount they do help worth the quite frankly fairly large price of them? IMO, not they're not unless it's a major upgrade (4B kit on Quest (quieter, easier on paint, more efficient), Supercharger engine on Marq's (SIGNIFICANTLY better efficiency), Eigenbolt on Shockers (better efficiency, less bolt stick), Zick on Egos (significant reduction in kick), Magno engine on Angel 1's (better efficiency, less kick). For those that are minor at best upgrades I'd rather just tune the stock parts well. But as usual, it comes down to personal preference. If you want the ABSOLUTE best it can POSSIBLY be regardless of price, yes, get the aftermarket parts.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
if it aint broke dont fix it. if you want better performance your best bet is selling the ion and picking up a high end marker, its probably going to be cheaper to find a used high end then upgrade the snot out of a ion anyway and a used high end will preform better stock than a upgraded ion. stuff like the QEV is cheap and good but i would caution you not to go too far or you will sink $500 into a ion and then realize there were a lot easier and cheaper methods to getting more performance for less money

for the virtue eyes, they preform the same job as the stock eyes but they emit a light that you can see when looking in the breach, more of a bling factor than anything. stock eyes work fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy a PMR and sell your Ion on ebay. Best upgrade ever. I was ready to throw both my ions under my truck, then I saw a guy on CL selling his PMR for $200. No more air issues.

I've been fighting air issues on my ions for too long. You gotta take the whole damned air system apart to clean the bolt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts