Under
Consent
(of) King

The S word is an acroynm too...

Ship
High
In
Transit

i knew about the bold one..but not about the ship high in transit or the other F word one

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how about this one...
STFU

and watch the video

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
Not the best source ever, but eh.
Huge understatement.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.htm

Guess what the **** should be....

For starters...

[****] is a very old word, recorded in English since the 15th century (few acronyms predate the 20th century), with cognates in other Germanic languages. The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang (Random House, 1994, ISBN 0-394-54427-7) cites Middle Dutch fokken = "to thrust, copulate with"; Norwegian dialect fukka = "to copulate"; and Swedish dialect focka = "to strike, push, copulate" and fock = "penis". Although German ficken may enter the picture somehow, it is problematic in having e-grade, or umlaut, where all the others have o-grade or zero-grade of the vowel.

I wasn't right either.

I could find many other sources if you want.

Why would anyone think the acronym thing was right?

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
p8ntballweird said:
^why do you have to always act so intellectual and like you know every damnt hing?

It is important that people don't accept fallacy as fact. And if that was supposed to be 'act like you know everything', I validate, or have prior knowledge of, most things I post before I post em.

Look on www.wikipedia.com, the article on the F word, under the eytmology section. Its a good resource:

Fake etymologies

There are several urban-legend fake etymologies postulating an acronymic origin for the word. In the most popular version, it is said that the word "****" came from Irish law. If a couple committing adultery were "Found Under Carnal Knowledge" they would be penalized, with "****" written on the stocks above them to denote the crime. Variants of this include "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", "Felonius Use of Carnal Knowledge", "Fornication Under Carnal Knowledge", and "Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", a label supposedly applied to the crime of rape. In another story, a sign reading "Fornication Under Consent of the King" was supposedly placed on signs above houses in medieval England during times of population control. All these acronyms were never heard before the 1960s, according to the authoritative lexicographical work, The F-Word, and so are backronyms.

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
vivalabrian said:
No, he just knows how to utilise google very well. :yum

Google shmoogle. I know most of the stuff I post, otherwise how would i know to challenge something in the first place?

I don't go hunting for things that could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts