Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with this dell laptop I'm trying to fix. he brought it to me and all his son knows is one day is blue screened on him. I've tried booting from the XP disc. Blue Screen. Tried re-configuring the harddrive to see if anything had been changed. Still blue screen. I'm not remembering something what might it be?

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
1. Check the temperature of the CPU and make sure that it is not overheat (ie temperature < 140F or 60C)
Make sure that the CPU fan works properly
2. Clean the dust inside the computer case
3. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, you need to check and see which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram

It sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem. BTW, I'm not sure of how to do any of those things on a laptop, I've only had experience with desktops. So some of the things I described could be somewhat faulty.

·
12,110 Posts
Since I've been preaching linux for the past week, you should switch to linux. Linux fixes just about any problems you can think up. The only con to it is that you can't play games on it.

Its a bit hard to figure out at first (just because things are so much easier and the solutions are typically right in your face), but after a week you'll come to love it.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Charger said:
i seem to recall that the main cause of the blue screen of death is ram problems but i could be wrong
That was the problem with my computer a few years back. Updated the "bios software" or something. The update fixed the problem. I have no idea what "bios" is but yeah.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
Alpha said:
Since I've been preaching linux for the past week, you should switch to linux. Linux fixes just about any problems you can think up. The only con to it is that you can't play games on it.

Its a bit hard to figure out at first (just because things are so much easier and the solutions are typically right in your face), but after a week you'll come to love it.
He does speak the truth....

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
ntfs error = partition is bad. attempt to reformat.

use a linux live cd such as knoppix to attempt to rescue his needed files. you can also use the same live cd to reformat the drive if the windows setup bitches at you

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
if u can get into bios, make it boots from cd, and see how the windows xp cd goes. i dont know why people are saying linux when its not even his laptop.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DJS2 said:
if u can get into bios, make it boots from cd, and see how the windows xp cd goes. i dont know why people are saying linux when its not even his laptop.
Yes truth. I had 3 different XP Cds in the laptop case.

Everyone of them no matter what I did ( Repair, or install XP again ) It just blue screened me.

I would get linnux if it was my laptop. I'm going to be replacing the ram with some spare ram i have at my house to see if that is the problem.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sittin_duk said:
1. Check the temperature of the CPU and make sure that it is not overheat (ie temperature < 140F or 60C)
Make sure that the CPU fan works properly
2. Clean the dust inside the computer case
3. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, you need to check and see which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram

It sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem. BTW, I'm not sure of how to do any of those things on a laptop, I've only had experience with desktops. So some of the things I described could be somewhat faulty.
I did this. Took out sticks. Put 1 back in. Both result in Blue Screen. So could both be bad?

Or is it like the other guys said the partition is bad... In which case it's ****ed because I've tried reformatting but even when I put in the XP cd it blue screens... and yes I have it start from CD. It goes to the screen on the XP cd where it asks to install or repair and either on I click it loads then bam Blue Screen.

·
3,991 Posts
Wes Himself said:
Or is it like the other guys said the partition is bad... In which case it's ****ed because I've tried reformatting but even when I put in the XP cd it blue screens... and yes I have it start from CD. It goes to the screen on the XP cd where it asks to install or repair and either on I click it loads then bam Blue Screen.
L1nUx_r0ot said:
use a linux live cd such as knoppix... you can also use the same live cd to reformat the drive if the windows setup bitches at you
there is no installation of linux in that process, just using a live cd of it to reformat the hard drive. after you reformat using knoppix(or whatever you use) then proceed to use the windows cd to install windows.

·
3,991 Posts
mspainter said:
What do you think is the best version of Linux? I have an older computer running 98, and im looking to upgrade. Where can I download Linux?
I'm a Suse user myself, but alpha and some others seem to be hooked on ubuntu, and though i've never used it, I bet it's a nice distro of linux. btw, don't hijack Wes's thread.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
L1nUx_r0ot said:
there is no installation of linux in that process, just using a live cd of it to reformat the hard drive. after you reformat using knoppix(or whatever you use) then proceed to use the windows cd to install windows.
Where do I get said live cd?

And I've had to fix the same computer before.. It's a Dell. And I was just reading through a lil Letter I stuck in his bag back then this was the same thing that was wrong with it then and Dell just sent him a new HardDrive... But I think his son has some college work or something he needs off the drive so I dont think he wants me to just quick fix it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Wes Himself said:
Where do I get said live cd?

And I've had to fix the same computer before.. It's a Dell. And I was just reading through a lil Letter I stuck in his bag back then this was the same thing that was wrong with it then and Dell just sent him a new HardDrive... But I think his son has some college work or something he needs off the drive so I dont think he wants me to just quick fix it.

well if its blue screening than you may not have much of a choice. Id post on hardforum or guru3d, you will find many more answers and intellegent people on those two forums.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts