Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pneumatically Insane ©
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.

Recently, i have been trying to decide what car i want, and i planned on going to an Auction, and buying a 'decent' car to take me where i need to go.

Well, then i went to a car show with my dad, which i have done many times before. But this time, i was getting more into it. As we were leaving, i brought up this "engine" that my dad allways talks about putting in a car. Well, i made a suggestion, that maybe, if i can find a car to bolt the engine into (Plymouth/Dodge) if he would let me, in a way, have the engine. He was fine with it, since the engine has just been sitting around.

About a week went by, and i decided togo see the engine for myself, and get to know more about it. I went and saw it, and he was rambling about it, talking german to me about the engine. But I did understand some of it. This is basically what he told me:
- It is a Plymouth 383, given to him by an old (hippy) friend.
- The 383 is Balanced and Blueprinted
- Has only 15 passes through it since it was rebuilt
- It can still be turned over/is in working condition
- Was last Dyno'd at 610hp @ 7800rpm
- And only runs on Aviation Fuel

Well, its now going to become a reality. He said the engine is able to run RIGHT NOW, but runs off of aviation fuel, and that, i will need to get different heads to run it on Regular/Premium gas.

So for now, i have about $500 going into a "drivable car" to get it running, and then this engine, and a car for it, is going to be my hobby for the next several months.

tl;dr
What car should i put this Balanced and Blueprinted 383 engine into?

I was looking at a:
- Roadrunner
- Dodge Dart
- Barracuda
- Chevelle

What do you think?

and if thier is something i left out, or sound like a complete idiot, its cause i am just getting into this, so

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
I always had a thing for 'Cudas, but they are hard to find, especially with a body in good condition.

Although even if you get streetable heads to give you a pump gas compression ratio, that thing is still not going to be very friendly on gas. I can only guess it has a huge cam in it. Something else to think about, don't expect to get good mileage with this thing.

Another thing to consider is will the drivetrain be able to handle the power you are putting out? What kind of transmission are you planning to stick behind this beast? What about the rear? Make sure that the car is strong enough to hold itself together. I know with my stock trans, any torque above 450 is enough to start sending gears through the floorboard :hug:

Also, understand that there is alot that goes into a swap like this. I hope your dad has the knowhow to help you out as much as you need it. I suggest you start doing your homework now, and join a forum if you can find one that will suit your needs, and give you the information you are looking for. This isnt something you just "wing". Look farther into it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i suggest you keep it in a dodge/plymouth to keep your life simple, putting it in a chevy or ford or w/e would make your life alil too tough.

the aviation gas worries me though. for those who dont know, aviaton gas is popular because its something like 105 octane AND is very cheap compared to 105 octane gas made for cars. BUT There is a alot of differences, and aviation gas will cause harm to an engine that isnt for an airplane. There are alot of addatives in car gasoline that isnt put into aviation gasoline.

If its been sitting for a while, you have to tear it down, look everything over, check it out, and re-assemble it. Mostly because id check the cylinder walls, pistons, and valves to make sure everything is ok after running on aviation gas. Im sure theyre all fine unless someone really beat this thing up

good luck man

dodge dart FTW

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

·
Pneumatically Insane ©
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more things

I know that price of gas isn't going to be cheap. That is why i have another car ('95 Mitsubishi Galant) This engine, and car, is mainly a project, something for me and my dad to do, maybe race once we get things going/

Also, I am changing out the heads, to stock ones, and then i after i get the engine at least running, i then will move onto workin on the interior/body. I dont know what i plan on doing yet, but my dad has been around cars his whole life, so he wont let me **** anything up.

I am mainly focusing on what car to get. I am pretty sure im going to get either a 'Cuda or a Roadrunner, but i love the look of the Chevelles, so thats why i considered

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Snowsk5054 said:
Fox Body Mustang with a Dana 9.9 rear axle...I think thats right on the axle part lol.

Ahahahah...ha...haha. Oh no wait you were serious. Hold on, I have a little more I have to get out. Ha hahhaha. Alright done, honest.

No really, I cannot stand fox body stangs. They look like crap. I wouldn't even spend one neuron in my brain considering to grace a car like that with discussed engine. The boy is already in the right direction...don't go swaying him otherwise :cool:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
agreed, ford has a few things over chevy and mopar, but the fox body mustang and mustang gt is not one of them.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
thats a horrible motor, please send it to me so i can dispose of it properly ;)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
o btw, to have those dyno numbers with that motor, your talking about 13:1 compression, and im guessing the cam is something like .675 lift 290 adv duration

1 - 10 of 10 Posts