Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not that good when it comes to building comps, so I know someone that can build one for me, now I just need a list of parts. List the parts you would use for a computer, and I mean everything, and it would help if you had a site were I could find it.

·
More Caffine PLEASE!!!
334 Posts
Case
Power supply
mother board
Processor
RAM
Video card
sound card
Lan/network interface card
Hard drive
CD/cdrw
DVD/DVDr
Floppy (not really needed)
monitor, Keyboard, mouse
Printer/scanner/digital camera/joystick, etc

Do reasearch, find what's in your budget, and build from there. Go to your library and see if the have computer mags.

What kind of system do you want? Gaming, Music/graphic design, internet?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
www.newegg.com is a great site with awesome prices and quick delivery. I highly suggest buying all the parts from them.

Case - Preference (whatever looks cool)

Power supply - 350 Watt should be enough

mother board - I would go w/ one that supports AMD CPUs instead of Intels, but that's just me. Maybe check out ASUS

Processor - I would go w/ an AMD Athlon XP (you can decide how fast you want it)

RAM - I am pretty sure Crucial is a good brand. You can get by with 128MB, but I would want at least 256MB, if not 512MB. Especially if you game.

Video card - Big debate over Radeon or GeForce...SEAL can help you with this if he reads this thread

sound card - On Board sound will be fine unless you want a movie theatre experience or something

Lan/network interface card - Should be build in to the motherboard

Hard drive - Western Digital is a good brand. Get one that goes at least 7200RPM. Size is up to you. You can prolly get a 40GB for a decent price.

CD/cdrw - Uh, not sure on good brands. Find something with high speed, like 40x+ burning/reading speed.

DVD/DVDr - If you have the money, go for it. But they are quite expensive

Floppy (not really needed) - I'd say get one anyway, because you may use it more than you'd think. I know I do.

monitor, Keyboard, mouse - Preference

Printer/scanner/digital camera/joystick, etc - Preference

That should help you some more. Remember, it depends on your budget and what you want to use it for. I built my "gaming" comp for about $350 or so (bootleg operating system cut down the price), and it's not too bad. Can play many popular games at a good pace.

~Jin

·
More Caffine PLEASE!!!
334 Posts
Personally I dislike onboard anything. If it craps out, the whole mobo needs to be replaced.
If you can get a mobo with on board everthing and disable it in the BIOS, and use card. that way you have a back up should the card crap out.

GeForce Vid cards seem to work better with AMD than Raedon does.

·
Registered
376 Posts
go to Pricewatch.com, that will help u out. get a Serial ATA harddrive, so then ul need a floppy for that but there cheap then get a good amount a power suply, good graphics card, get the ASUS delux mother board cause u get integrated sound witch sounds really good, get a AMD and about a gig of ram

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
i have a amd xp 2400+ with a radeon card and it runs fine....

i have a question.... i can run all my games fine except for cs and mods, i can get in a server and play, but when i leave it, my screen goes black and it freezes. i have no idea why it does this only when i exit a server and why its only with that game. it does it in opengl and in software mode... ghey

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, more opinions please, so far I know i'm getting an AMD Athalon 2600+ and a GeForce Vid Card with 256DDR Ram

·
Registered
434 Posts
Let me sort through this mess for you:

Processor: AMD makes a great product at a decent price, however, Intel is the industry standard and therefore most software works better with an Intel CPU. However, Intel is prohibitively expensive. Also, the difference between OEM and Retail is Retail comes with a heatsink and three year warranty, OEM comes with just the CPU and a thirty day warranty. Sometimes the price difference is $20, otherwise you should just get the retail processor for the warranty. The heatsinks they come with typically suck.

RAM: Don't just get high speed RAM because it's high speed, get RAM that matches your CPU's front-side bus (FSB.) If you get an XP 2600 you'll need PC2700. Get at least 512 MB, I'd suggest Crucial because it comes with a lifetime warranty and is quite reasonably-priced. If you want preformance RAM, get Corsair XMS series, its more expensive but its CAS latency is lower, which means its faster. This is something you should only get if you or your friend are computer experts because it requires extensive BIOS configuration.

Motherboard: I'd suggest something with an Nvidia Nforce2 chipset. These boards have what is called dual-channel DDR. It takes two DIMMs of RAM and combines their bandwidth. Basically, this means that it takes the speed of two sticks of RAM and combines it. This results in a much higher memory bandwidth, and while your CPU won't be able to take advantage of it, it never hurts to have more bandwidth than you need. I'd suggest a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2, I've built three computers using this board and I've been happy with it (as have the people I built the computers for). It also has onboard sound and network, so you won't have to spend more money on a sound card and network card. If you get a dual channel board, you'll need to buy two sticks of RAM, get 2X256 (512 total) MB at the least. If you get the preformace stuff, Corsair XMS sells matched pairs that will function better together than two random sticks.

Video Card: Right now, you only really need a GeForce 4 Ti, however, a DirectX 9 card (such as a Radeon 9800 or GeForce FX 5900) will be needed to play some of the newer games coming out. If you have the money, get a Radeon 9800 or FX 5900 (they're $350+), otherwise, you can get a GF4 Ti4200 for less than $100, and that will run all current games. ATI (Radeon) or Nvidia (GeForce) is pretty much a personal preference; they both work about the same, however, ATI is typically cheaper than Nvidia, but Nvidia typically has better customer and driver support.

Case: Definitely get an Antec case. They make great cases, however, they make even better power supplies (among the best in the industry) and all of their cases come with Antec PSU's. I'd reccomend an Antec Performance II SX630II. It has plenty of room for fans and drives, but its not massive. Of course, if you want a big case get the Antec SX-1040 or 1040B (black.) This is pretty much the same as the first but larger. Take a look on newegg and see what you like.

Hard drive: As Jinjiro said, get a Western Digital. They have great customer support and I've never had one crash on me to the point of not being able to extract data. I'd say get an 80 GB, right now they're selling for less than $80 on newegg. Also, they come with two cache sizes, two megabyte and eight megabyte. The larger the cache, the faster the drive can transfer/access data. You should probably get two drives, use one for data (MP3's, video files, etc.) and the other for applications (windows, games, etc.) One will do at first, but definitely get another later on. Another thing you might want to buy is rounded ATA cables. They improve air flow (cooler CPU) and if you ever put a window in your case they look much better than ribbon cables.

CD burner: Get a Lite-On. Probably the best brand I've ever used, and they're cheap in price. You can get a 52x32x52x (write/rewrite/read) for under $40. You may or may not want to get a DVD-ROM, Lite-On also makes a great DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive for about $50. It all depends on what you want the computer to be able to do.

Monitor: You may want to shop locally for a monitor because you'll pay a lot for shipping on a monitor. You should certainly get at least a 17", however if you don't plan on going to LAN parties or moving your computer frequently (or don't mind the extra weight) you might want to get a 19". My favorite brand is Viewsonic, again flawless customer support-my first monitor crapped out and they paid for my broken one to be shipped back to their warehouse and sent me a new one, free of charge. Samsung also makes a high quality monitor. I wouldn't get a flatpanel LCD, they aren't that good for games and they're too expensive IMO.

Keyboard, mouse: I like Logitech's product line, however Microsoft also makes good stuff as well. Logitech is currently on top with mice, any Logitech mouse with MX in the product name is the best you can buy (short of drafting tablets...) You should go to Best Buy (or whatever passes for a major electonic retailer in your area) and check the stuff out first-hand.

Floppy drive: not necessary, but at less than $10, you should get one.

Heat sink: I'm surprised nobody touched this yet. The heatsink that comes with retail AMD CPU's is wimpy, and OEM CPU's don't come with one period. You need a heatsink, your CPU will fry without one. I reccomend a thermaltake Volcano 11, it's all copper and comes with a rheostat that allows you to speed up/slow down the fan (and thereby reduce the noise it puts out.) You might also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste; its the best stuff you can buy and lasts longer than the white zinc-oxide garbage the heatsink comes with.

You'll also need some odds and ends; speakers or headphones, fans for your case (Antec cases come with one fan, you should fill all available fan slots.) You should get Panaflo fans, they're the best ratio between noise and air output. I wouldn't buy from newegg because they charge you $4 shipping for the wires needed to hook them into the power supply. Go to www.frozencpu.com and get either high or ultra panaflo 80 mm fans, enough to fill all fan positions in your case. Be sure to add the 4-pin moles tails for $1.50 or you'll have to manually wire them into the power supply. Panaflo part numbers denote output, the highs will be H1A and ultras will be U1A. They'll cost you about $12/piece (with the wires), but its money well spent. You might also want to get a rheobus that will allow you to change the speed of all your case fans. Case windows are fun, some cases come with windows, others you can buy a windowed side for and some you have to cut a hole and mount it yourself. You then get cold-cathode tubes (similar to neon but smaller and cooler) and light the inside up, see this thread: http://www.paintballforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43204&perpage=20&pagenumber=1 there's a link to a picture of my modded computer, to give you an idea. (You might get a download dialouge box, close this and then hit refresh or go). If this doesn't work, save the file as "all types" and type in whatever.jpg. I use geocities to host my images, and you have to fake them out by naming the image file as a text file. IE and most other web browsers automatically correct this.)

There's a lot of other add-ons and preformance parts you can buy, it all depends on how much you want to put into your computer. Let us know when you get your box running. Good luck!

·
NORTHCOAST HARDCORE
6,318 Posts
well, i much prefer the AMD processors to the intels. they radeons r my favorite video cards, the only problem is they have some compatibility issues, but u can make it work w/ pretty much nething if u want to take the time. i would say no less then 512 ram, i personally am getting a gig of ram. hard drive, i would say no less then 80 gigs, i plan on getting atleast 120. if u plan on editing video, u want a big hard drive.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
yes with all the high end processors you need 350 watts minimum. I agree with most everything SEAL said except one thing, and again, this is just a preference. I prefer the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. I have built more computers than I can count on this mobo, and none have failed. JUst have to have high quality ram. Crucial is a good brand for fairly cheap. Mushkin Memory and Kingston Hyper-X are some higher end kinds of ram, but they'll burn a hole in your wallet.

HOw much you lookin to spend?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd stay away from Asus boards...don't get me wrong, they make a great product, however, their customer support is non-existant. I have an older A7V266-E with a KT-266A chipset that's still under warranty for at least another year and a half, but they won't honor the warranty. All I ever get out of their customer service department is "contact the retailer you bought it from for service" but the retailer I got it from doesn't take returns after thirty days. As a result, I've been out $130 for the last year and a half because Asus won't honor their warranty.

As far as a power supply goes, you only really need a 300 watt supply. You need 400 watts or more if you're going to have a lot of drives, a watercooled peltier rig or high-draw fans (like I do.) Cold cathodes don't use enough watts to require a high-wattage power supply. My thoughts on this is its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Go for the higher-wattage PSU unless you don't have the money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts