Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im gonna start my first build... ive read numerous tutorials and everything.. i know pretty much how its done.. is there any things that you guys have learned from experience that you can tell me? Im doing this for a friend and its her money so i dont wanna **** up

thanks

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
The edges in that case are sharper than they look. Really, they are.

You should be fine building up a computer. Just watch what you touch and be grounded while you're working. re-read the directions or ask someone who's done it if you find something that doesn't want to fit or seems to be wrong.

·
to lazy to change avatar
1,777 Posts
ya, dont wear socks and make sure to gorund yourself, or get one of thos wrist bands (forgot what their called) and dont go forcing parts thing. before you break it, think if thats the correct way they go in. if it is, then proceed to break it and/or force it in perfusly. and make sure not to have any food/drinks around the open case

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
666paintballer said:
ya, dont wear socks and make sure to gorund yourself, or get one of thos wrist bands (forgot what their called) and dont go forcing parts thing. before you break it, think if thats the correct way they go in. if it is, then proceed to break it and/or force it in perfusly. and make sure not to have any food/drinks around the open case
QFT...you could fry something important and not even know what happened. The inside of computer cases are metallic for a reason. When you pull the cover off to work, tap the metal part on the inside. This will take away any static from your body.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
**** tapping, rub the metal all over your body

no actually just place both your hands on the metal before you touch anything and it should ground you, (so no tv, friends or phone for a week)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
as has been said, be grounded. i recommend getting an anti static wristband and plugging it into the ground plug of a power strip or socket. you never know how good of a connection you're getting to the chassis.

caution: SHARP EDGES. as has been said, i've been cut more times that i can recall building computers...

one thing that has helped me out is this. when you pull out the mobo, sit it on the anti-static bag that it came in. with it layin on that install your ram and cpu. the reason for this is that sometimes you'll get ram that is a bit wide, or sockets that are a bit narrow, in any case it takes a lot of force to properly seat the ram. also, preinstalling the cpu gives you somethin to hold onto while you lower that mobo onto the studs. in sort, its easiest to preinstall that crap.

***MAKE SURE that you properly map out the mounting stud/riser locatons. putting in a stud where there isn't a mounting hole on the mobo is baaad business. one great trick that i've picked up is to use a sheet of overhead projector film to map out where the holes are on the mobo. then just take that sheet and lie it on the mobo tray in the case and use it as a template for where to put the studs.

one last tip for now, as far as the case goes, put the power supply in as early as possible. if its a windowed case(or any case imo) you'll want to use zip ties and run as many of the wires out of the way and out of sight as possible. keeps things tidy, and decreases obstructions to airflow.

if you run into any snags just hit me up on aim. i'll be glad to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts