1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
  • Case/PSU - Get a different case and power supply. Cooler Master is pretty low end, and the PSU (power supply) wont last long. Lian Li and Silverstone are some great choices to look at for your case. If you go to THIS thread, scroll down to the quote and it will tell you some recomended class 1 and 2 power supplies to look at other than the Rosewill.
  • Hard Drive - 160GB hard drive enough? For about $20 you can get a 250GB and it might save you some cash down the line.
  • Motherboard - I dont see whats wrong with DFI? Ive had one and it wasn't too bad. Its great for OCing. Asus, Biostar, and Gigabyte are all decent choices to also look at.
  • CD/DVD ROM - Maybe get a sata CD/DVD drive depending on how many sata ports are on the motherboard you choose.
  • Speakers/Sound Card - If i were you i would spend the $25 dollars on Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speakers and skip getting the cheap sound card, but thats just me. Your onboard audio should be just fine.
  • RAM - Make sure to change your RAM if you choose another mobo. Id get 2 sticks of 512 and run dual channel. Corsair is a good choice.
  • Processor - Id choose a different CPU. If you are into AMD maybe look at the 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz. For the same price or a little more look at the Intel Core 2 Duo cpus, but make sure to choose your mobo accordingly if you do.
  • Video Card - The 7600GT that you chose used to be $79 AR i believe but still not a bad deal.
  • Keyboard?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with that case, I've played around with one and it wasn't bad at all. He's not buiding a high end computer, that case is fine. I'll stick with my Antec 900 =] so nice.

Rosewill generally doesn't have reliable stuff, I prefer Antec or Enermax.

I like the creative speakers instead, but my friend has the logitech ones and theysound the same but i prefer the looks of the creative. But def get the 5.1.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Based on what you guys have recommended, I've basically changed everything but I still have questions.

Whats the advantage of dual channel ram, and what would be reasonable speeds that could be acheived from OC'ing Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz Socket 939 Processor - Retail this processor?

EDIT: As I understand, Opteron processors are for servers which are on like 100% load all the time. So whats the advantage of Athalon?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts