Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was making a list of albums I wanted to buy... it was about 10 or so I plan to purchase over the next couple of months. For those of you that care is was 2 albums from Primus, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, and Rush.

Well, the kid sitting next to me who was a friend of mine... looks over at my list and looks at me, and asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm going to buy all these albums. As soon as he heard that, he gives me this insane look and says, "Are you crazy! Why don't you just download them! Thats like $100-some odd dollars of music!"

So he tells a few people and they all agree with him that I am crazy. I tried explaining to them that I like to own actual CD's from bands that I like. I told them that albums are best listened too when they stay together as they were originally made too. I told them that I need CD's to listen to in my car when I'm driving, because I hate the radio and thats also where my best speakers are. I even told them flat out that I like to give money to the bands that make the music I like, because the more money they have, the more they can keep doing that. They just didn't understand the idea of not downloading music for free off P2P software.

So PBF, am I crazy? Or does anyone still buy albums now a days?

·
Registered
189 Posts
well i dont buy much anymore unless i want something with really good quality, i mean someone at my age (16) cant afford a 20 dollar cd i mean come on.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
There are some bands and albums that are so good, unique or just awesome that I want to have it. Sometimes I just want the music (its for those bands or songs that i just steal). Other times I just have to have the packaging, the experience they are trying to give you beyond just the sound.

So no, you're not crazy.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I like having cd's. It's just not the same when you download. You don't get the same flow, the artwork or the liner notes. Plus, I'll support bands I like. Now, if its just some random song I heard and want I'll just download it.

·
12,110 Posts
Nope. As long as I can download, I'll probably never buy a CD. The only reason I've bought a CD in the past 6 or 7 years is becuase I couldnt download it for one reason or another.

I always have my 30gb iPod with me (and its filled up btw). When I get my car I'm putting in an old PC so I can run iTunes from the dash

·
Registered
133 Posts
well its different, it just doesant have the same 'soul'. if your a HARD CORE music lover than you know what i mean. oh yeah i have no problem buying off the internet because ive done it before.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
lets just say i havent bought an album since the marshall mathers lp wayyy back in the day. no need to, if you know where to get your music, theres no reason to buy, from a quality standpoint of course, because theres always that "support" aspect.

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
I download a little bit, but my dial up isn't fast enough to download entire CDs in less than a few days. So if I really like a band and want their CD, I'll go buy it. Granted, I have about 20 real CD and 40 some odd pirated ones.

I also like the feeling of holidng the music in my hand and supporting my favorite bands. Getting a new CD is something I really like doing. You call me crazy, but honestly, I love going to Best Buy and dropping $60 on new music.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
I download a little bit, but my dial up isn't fast enough to download entire CDs in less than a few days. So if I really like a band and want their CD, I'll go buy it. Granted, I have about 20 real CD and 40 some odd pirated ones.

I also like the feeling of holidng the music in my hand and supporting my favorite bands. Getting a new CD is something I really like doing. You call me crazy, but honestly, I love going to Best Buy and dropping $60 on new music.
if i like a band then I want some of their music. Usually i'll try and sample a few of their albums and buy the one i like the most. Other times I just want to have ALL their stuff. So I know what they sounded like and because i like them enough that I want to hear their stuff often (which is harder when you shuffle lots of songs) It's when I want it all that i usually just torrent a damn discography.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I listen to a lot of christian bands, who make little money.

The way I figure, I'm going to listen to it enough to constitute paying like $10 for their album.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
I buy albums that are worth a damn. If I like the band and they put out a decent album, I'll buy it. Also depends on if I have $ or not lol

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
i just download.. i used to have the whole buying mentality, then i realized: the band rarely sees the profit from record sales. they get money from touring, selling merch, etc. record sales helps the record company, not that band.. but regardless, the truth it: cds are becoming obselete. i store all my music on a 120gb hardrive anyway, for my mp3 player. most people do the same thing, which is why its pointless to buy CDs. i will admit though, i do feel somewhat 'bad'. i mean i feel like the spoiled generation. i used to buy cds, and some tapes, but the generation before me it was tapes, records, etc. they all shared and lstened to music on such a legit level. i guess this is how the internet impacts it anyway.

also, i use Soulseek for p2p filesharing (great for finding rare stuff).

and i use bittorrent (azureus client and i usually go to mininova.org or thepiratebay.org)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts