Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Processor gets into the 50*C area, it starts making a buzzing noise. The noise seems to be related to processor use... So if a program is loading, it will make the buzzing noise, but once its loaded it stops (and makes a softer buzzing noise when I move the cursor around).

It only gets that hot when I turn my CPU and main exhaust fan off... Pentium D 805 OCed from 2.66 to 3.75 gHz.

·
Registered
189 Posts
try to not turn ur fans off ever and if you leave the house or anything put your comp on standby to give it time to cool. o and your comp shouldn't be at 50 C you have a serious problem when its that high. something is wrong. i would ethier get a new processor or more fans. but comps should be like 40 C or below. mines never hit 40C and i only have a heatsink and fan on a AMD dual core and i play hardcore games that stress the computer cause i put them on highest. anyways i would get that check out defintly cause thats a hot computer.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I believe he has it significantly overclocked, but I'm not positive on that one. Mine hardly even ever gets close to 40℃. I mostly attribute that to the fact that it's in a basement that on average is below 60℉.

·
Registered
189 Posts
same with me but still even if mine was upstairs and warmer 50 C wouldnt ever touch it and its really dangerous for your comp to be that hot.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know, I turn the fans off for short periods of time when I need to hear people coming up the stairs. Usually when I'm doing private things. Get what I'm saying?

My Vantec Tornados are something like 60 decibles- almost as loud as my vacuum cleaner. I have a great CPU heatsink (copper, since its one of the most conductive metals known to man (the first being silver), and a 3 channel fan controller. Even at 25% speed its still pretty loud. I usually don't care because I need the high performance fans for gaming at high clock speeds. Right now I'm pushing 200% my processor's stock speed. I've gotten it to boot into windows at 4.25gHz, but it was very unstable. It crashed before I could even open up prime95.

My processor is 'rated' by intel to 60*C. Normally it stays in the 20's. Right now I have everything except my Vantecs at 100% speed. The vantecs are at 1800RPM's (of a maximum of 5200RPM) and my CPU core temp is 32*. If I shut the Vantecs off, it will start to climb (that's when it reached 50*). When all fans are at full speed, I've seen it dip down to 13*'s.

I know all about thermal management.

I don't understand how going into standby will help it cool. I mean obviously shutting it down will make it cooler, but if your fans are functioning properly, you should never have to shut it down to cool.

·
Registered
319 Posts
shutting it down only makes it cooler after the heat accumulates and it gets HOTTER with the fans off, thats why they make fan controlls that keep running for X amount of time after the pc shuts off

i have mine set to shut off when it hits 51* F and overclocked it never goes above 40* (except now that my power supply fan went out) and im running a dual core AMD X2 processor with stock heatsink overclocked from 2.0ghz X2 to 2.4ghz X2 or an increase from 4.0 to 4.8 ghz

Intels do run hotter, but i dunno, odd noises are not good with any electronic or mechanical device

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
C2 Duo after tax returns ;)
you're waiting for those returns too huh? :hug:

Im a little confused, it only reaches 50+ and buzzes when you have the fans off? If thats correct than why turn them off in the first place?

What progs are you getting 13's from? Ive never even heard of that, especially off of air.

Once I get my video card RMAd i may have some questions about OCing my e6400, although i have a pretty good idea of what to do and my goals.

Oh and save a little money from that tax return and invest on a lock for your door, than you can do 'private things' all day and night... not that im talking from experience or anything..;0

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said, I turned them down for noise... My fan controller sucks so when it gets to about 1800RPM's (the quietest it can go), sometimes theres a bit of fluctuation in the voltage so the fan kicks out randomly. Then I wonder what that buzzing noise is and look down to see MotherBoard Monitor 5 reading in the 50's. Takes the reading from my ASUS P52's probes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts