Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering, does the bible say anything about life on earth? Is earth supposed to be 'just a test' to get into heaven or hell according to your faith?

Just curious, becuase my 'religion' (if you want to call it a religion) is based solely on the here and now...

D

·
0 Posts
at first I was mad that I couldn't recollect a definite answer to this.. but then I became happy as I realized I'm starting to forget all that **** that was poured down my throat in catholic school..

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
It does actually.

I forget where, and I'm no Bible scholar so it would take lots of work for me to find where this is backed up at.

Essentially, God created everything so there would be shomething to show for what he is. He created a perfect world with Adam and Eve in teh garden (I'm sure most everyone knows that story)
During that time God would come and hang out with Adam and Eve (to put it in laymans terms)

When Adam and Eve sinned, God could no longer hang out with them because they were no longer perfect. God then cursed the earth and introduced death to the world. He then promised to send a way for people to get back to how Adam and Eve were able to hang out with God. That was prophesied about for hundreds and thousands of years. Then all the prophesies about the promised messiah came true when Jesus was born and throughout his life (unless your'e Jewish, they don't believe that Jesus was the promised messiah because they think he was going to set up a kingdom on earth, instead of spiurtally)

Anyhow, Jesus was killed by people who were mad at him for saying he was Gods son. Since christians believe Jesus was perfect, He was able to be a sacrifice for everyones sins. Also because he as perfect (this is where my theology that i currently know is a but unstable, but I can get someone to help out if you want me to) He was able to raise from the dead, defeating death and proving that he WAS the son of God. He talked about his death andressurection long before it happened, and prophets as far back as the days of Soloman talked about it happening as well. Because of Jesus, People are now able to go directly to God through prayer (Instead of going through a priest and animal sacrifices like they had to since adam and eve sinned)

So to answer your question, Our life on earth was intended to be a perfect carefree place, but it got messed up. So God provided us with a way to live forever with him in heaven, instead of the earth...because the earth became corrupted.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
why would you ask that? From what I know, tha'ts nothing that scientologists believe.

I'm a christian. I follow a Baptist viewpoint of doctrine. I believe that Jesus was the son of God and that he died and rose again to save the world from thier sins so that they can have eternal life with God if they choose to accept it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yes, Adam and Eve had Cain and Abel. (No worries, doesn't bother me at all.)

As for where the wives came from, can't remember. I'll go look it up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ok, just looked up some scripture.

Basically the Bible mentions three children by name: Cain, Abel and Seth. Adam and Eve were bound to have more children because they were around for quite a while.

In short, Cain and Seth's wives were sisters.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
So could it be that their offspring were mentally disabled and that legacy has been left in modern man?

In biology, species that interbreed like this is suppose to die off. There is a hole in there..

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Incest definitely isn't right.. If I'm not mistaken, it is a sin?

Looking at simple genetics, incest isn't healthy. If Adam and Eve were sinners, therefore not perfect, they had imperfect genes. When there are two of the same gene, there is a great chance of deformity. Like the egyptians...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Certainly, it doesn't add up under real examination.

Unless you stretch things to the extreme. The bible is flawed.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
big_balla said:
That's because the bible is opinion and faith. That isn't a solid basis for arguements.

then the bible shouldn't be a basis for anything should it? at least, pretaining to laws...

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Well think about this. Where did we come from? We know we havent been around forever, we had to start somewhere. So how about tiny organisms came togethers how ever long ago to create life. Then we evolved into humans from monkeys or whatever.....

The thing is, no matter how you believe humans were created, it all starts with one human/thing (unless you believe we have been here forever and always will), which means no matter how you believe we were made it involved someone/thing being incessed(sp?).

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
toXic said:
Well think about this. Where did we come from? We know we havent been around forever, we had to start somewhere. So how about tiny organisms came togethers how ever long ago to create life. Then we evolved into humans from monkeys or whatever.....

The thing is, no matter how you believe humans were created, it all starts with one human/thing (unless you believe we have been here forever and always will), which means no matter how you believe we were made it involved someone/thing being incessed(sp?).

no, not really.

Look, I suck at science, however I know where you can real information on this. I'd start here perhaps

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

or maybe here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Either way, this statement sounds like hoo hockey, since we're not all inbred....

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Just glanced quickly from the wiki link you posted, and here ya go.

Not much is known about the earliest developments in life. However, all existing organisms share certain traits, including cellular structure and genetic code. Most scientists interpret this to mean all existing organisms share a common ancestor

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.