Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am replacing the worn out 305/TH200 metric combo in my el camino with a home built 350 4 bolt main short block and a TH350 transmission. NOW the question. I found a first gen 350 4 bolt short block for a great price (my uncle) and now im doing a tranny search.

i have a friend with a 3rd gen trans am with a 350. im not sure if its a tiac 350 or chevy, but its probably a chevy first gen 350. his transmission started slipping real bad a while back and he swapped out a transmission from an iroc camaro (probably 3rd gen too) and has the old one sitting out. the old slipping transmission is probably a th350 by my estimates, im going to look at it later with my dad. but since a transmission fit onto his car from a camaro, the bolt pattern on the tranny bell should fit a first gen small block chevy right? also, if we do end up getting it my dad and i are going to tear out the insides and rebuild the whole thing with a shift kit and b&m megashifter.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
lol, th200 tranny, that thing is such a piece of ****

ok, first, with chevy small blocks, basically all are the same, the only difference you have to note is the intake manifold bolts (on newer engines the middle 2 bolts go in on a different angle), and the bolts holes in the front of the heads.

trannys, most chevy trannys that bolt onto the back of a v8 have the same bolt patterns, the same crossmember, and the same driveshaft.

but if you got a tranny out of a 3rd gen iroc, chances are its a 700r, which has an overdrive, and is the heaviest tranny chevy made, with the most rotating weight, it drains power. BUT it has overdrive and will save you gas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts