Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone explain how these upgrades work (camshaft, different rods, etc) and what models i should look at if i want a fast take off time? I know upgraded camshafts give engines that badass barely-able-to-idle sound and they give you shatloads of torque

·
Registered
72 Posts
Camshafts are not the easiest things in the world to pick out, lets face it, coming up with a cam to give you the correct valve timing, smooth idle, decent gas mileage and low emissions is no easy task. In a convential four cycle eninge the camshaft opens the intake and exhaust valves on cue giving you your fuel and air mixture.

I'm not sure what engine you are working with here, a single cam engine has more limitations than a dual overhead cam engine would. Can you give us more of an idea of what you are working with and what you want out of your engine?

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Camshafts are relativly easy to change. Basically, the air fuel mixture flow into the cylinder thru the valves in the head. The camshaft changes how long the valves stay open, and how much they open to put more fuel into the combustion chamber for more power. To change one on a V8 you have to disassemble the front and top of the engine to get access to the camshaft itself, and also the pushrods and lifters.

Different rods could mean a couple things. A lighter rod reduces the reciprocating mass a little bit so the engine can rev slightly higher. A stronger rod is less likely to break. Or, if you get a crankshaft with a longer throw, you'll need a longer rod to make up for the longer throw.

I would recommend going to either Crane of Comp Cams website, or call them, to tell them what you want and they'll be able to tell you what type of cam would best suit you.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ good idea

oh yes, the engine i am working with is the chrysler 420a, a very badass i4 that seems to be the type of engine that loves being upgraded

-edit- its also a dual overhead cam

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
crane cams are some good pieces for the money, not sure what they offer for your app. though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts