Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know a site or a place i can find the rifle specs on a model 1938 turkish mauser? Im in the process of cleaning it right now and im curious of what kind of rifling it has in it. It does not state it anywhere on the rifle, nor any sites i go to. I see alot of people here are into c&r firearms and i thought this would be the best way to find out (im too lazy to sign up for another forum.....)................thx for the help...
:confused:

Im also getting a new camera today so ill see if i can get pics up.

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
I have the same kind of Mauser. You will not get any type of performance out of it, since the turk mausers are known for being POS's when it comes to accuracy. No one really cares about them anymore. If you paid anymore then $70 you got burned.

There are however those that have been worked on and have recieved new barrels. If that's the case, then it's a decent rifle. The standard barrels on them though are crappy. Mine's ok, i should really replace the barrel, but it's not worth it for what i paid for the rifle.

They're fun toys to start off with, but i'd look into something a little more interesting that isn't a lot of money, like the M38.

- Brian

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, thx 4 the help...btw, does anyone know what a good lubricant would be to use in the bolt? i live in the midwest, so it will see a bit of moisture and a helluvalot of cold. I was thinkin graphite but that wont last long....any suggestions?

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
You should do it after you're finished using it for the day. Also it's always nice to take it out once in awhile and give it a good cleaning. I do mine once a month regardless.

Have any pics? I just started working on refinishing my stock. I didn't have the right sand paper, so this is kind of a work in progress. Post pics later. Next is my Enfield.

- Brian

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Don't put a lot of oil either, just a light wiping. Too much, especially in sandy/dirty conditions, can be worse than too little.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I found it was hard to clean the action and barrel.....so i bought some 3'' pvc and a pvc end cap and filled it with mineral spirits and let it sit overnight. I was successful. For the stock i used easy-off oven cleaner. I sprayed it on in 30 minute intervals, cleaning it every time id spray some more on. I took off the thick stuff on the surface with a putty knife. I know the stock looks white, thats just the dried up oven cleaner on the surface. I still have to sand it down. I love the walnut, so im going to put a seal coat on it to bring out the grain but not change the wood color.

EDIT: no, this is not the original barrel. The sight and sight base match the reciever # but the barrel does not. The barrel pis is a pic right after taking it out of the dunk tank. I have noticed no groove wear, it looks brand new. I have yet to see the bore lands though...there is a giant chunk of grease impending my view lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts