Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of paintball for many years now. My last gun was a .68 carbine. I was thinking about purchasing a Carver one since they don't make Pro-Carbines anymore and it's the only gun I can find in the same similar style.

My question was on how much guns have changed in the last 10 years or so. Are guns like the Carver one able to take compressed air or are they still dependent on CO2? I was unsure because many of the compressed air tanks have regulators on them which I'm assuming takes the dependency off the gun to have a regulator.

I appreciate the help. Sorry for the noob question.

·
knows whats goin down.
2,615 Posts
Modern Tippmann < Old Tippmann.
Because cheap, plastic users, pricey, and not as reliable. The old Carbine design was rock solid as seen in the all the Pro series markers as well. Bang em on a tree, drop em in a lake, youre good.
Now, Tippmann has moved to make HPA more effective on the Carver, since its a 98 internally IIRC. (If i recall correctly) Though it may still run better on Co2. I know that when i use my pro-lites they shoot 280 fps no problem, but with HPA i have trouble getting over 210.

Look around and get your old fav if you can. Pro-Lites can be had for 50 bucks, so pick one up and go have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for a dependable marker like the old carbines or the pro-lite. I was thinking about moving to compressed air. I remember always having problems with consistency with CO2.

Thanks again.

·
knows whats goin down.
2,615 Posts
The old carbines and pro-lites, which i have and love, are GREAT on co2. Probably the best markers on co2.
HPA with them doesnt work well.
Go ahead and look for a used Pro-lite or something. You will love it.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Prolites were designed to work best on liquid CO2 the Pro carbines use a CVX valve and are nearly identical to the 98C and can use HPA with no problems. All new markers can run on HPA with no adjustments required beyond maybe swapping out springs if anything CO2 friendly markers are getting harder to find. There is nothing wrong with the Carver one it is still made by Tippmann and it doesn't make sense to me to buy something at $50 with a decade of use on it when you can buy the same thing new for $50 more.

·
knows whats goin down.
2,615 Posts
I meant the 68 Carbines, but yeah your right.
I like older stuff, and considering i got 3 prolites for 60 bucks, i would personally roll that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks again. I'm just looking for a dependable marker that can get dropped, clogged, and used heavily. I was hoping that they still make them like they used to!

I saw that Tippmann released a new SL-pump, I hope they do the same for the pro-carb!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts