Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering How well the classic impulse does as in quality and how it would be ranked as a paintball gun
thanks

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
It's an inferior marker from a less-than-reputable company that was built on a flawed design from velveeta-grade aluminum. You generally had to throw upgrades at one to get it to even work right. I'd steer clear.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
^^^ review is way too harsh, in todays market they are very heavy and pretty bad on efficiancy (due to SP having a fetish for low pressure) but they are very reliable, no LPR to worry about (unless one was installed aftermarket) and very few parts to mess with

i guess it depends on what your looking to do, if your just getting into paintball you can get one for pretty cheap now a days ($100 for one with decent upgrades in great condition) there are still some parts out there for them, but they are fading out as the marker is so old, if you are in reasonable shape and are looking to test the paintball waters it may be a decent option considering you could resell it for near or what you buy it for if you dont want to continue with the sport

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Low Pressure doesn't have to mean poor efficiency. :)

But I can try to tone down the harshness a bit - if I must. :)

Let's see...

It's a Bushmaster2000 clone (stacked tube poppet) that, as Trbo said, isn't particularly efficient. It's a bit odd that the marker it's a copy of is far superior in efficiency. The stock trigger sucks. Many have issues with bolt stick (especially when dry firing) without a tapeworm or LPR (or both).

SP used two different types of barrel threads on the Impulse. The first, used on pre-release and early release markers, was cut-down Shocker threads. They realized that players would be able to save money by re-using old Shocker barrels, so they changed the threading altogether, so they could sell more barrels.

Most were blind. The ones with eyes sported a single, reflective optical sensor that is inferior to a breakbeam system.

Many players had issues with the soft aluminum used for the Impulse bodies. Stripped threads were a common occurance.

Smart Parts regs, while high maintenance, were good regs. Side note: SP didn't design them. While, yes, they were pretty solid on CO2, SP should have suggested HPA only for the Impulse. A lot of solenoids were blown in Impulses ran on CO2, particularly those without LPRs.

While tall and heavy, they did point and shoot pretty well. Impulses that worked tended to be good shooters. There were some nice, private-label Impys that sported quality milling and ano. Overall, I'd still steer clear. It was outperformed by most other electros from that era, often by far, and the Impulse doesn't even compare to today's breeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts