Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My xbox has been acting really slowly lately, many games are pausing when they are brand new, levels will not load, I have to drop out of online games because it is not keeping up. I am guessing it needs a thurough cleaning. What should I do and what should I not do, I sprayed some electronic cleaner in the sides just for some cleansing but it didn't do much.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ok, first and foremost, try a cleaning disc. If that doesn't work, take it apart and clean it.

1) On the bottom of the X-Box, there are 4 rubber pads it sits on. Remove them.
2) The screws are a 6-sided star shape. I found a flathead screwdriver that fit them because I didn't want to dig out my bits. Remove them all.
3) After you take them all out, the X-box's shell should come off.
4) Clean the inside with either an air duster or a small vacuum.
5) Reassemble.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awsome thank you much, but I have heard that there is something I shouldn't touch in there, like a box that will give you a nice shock, anything I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's not wantin to come off to easy, i'm strugglin to get this baby off

edit: I got the cover off, turns out there are 2 screws under the stickers i couldn't see, Now that I got the top off what do i vaccume? I'm not gonna do this without some kind of guidance

·
Almost leet
1,999 Posts
Its a component to make quick starts. Just let it sit for a day and then the charge will be gone.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
im having teh same problems with mine

if i just take the cover off and clean it off, im not going to mess it up or anything?

but i suppose ill try a cleaning disk first

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Do you guys have first gen Xboxs?

Better question would be when you open your disc tray, what shape is it? If its a perfect U, then your in trouble. If its a U with a circle at the end, or an uber circlely U with two holes, your good.

Basicaly the perfect U shape drive is a realllllly crappy drive made by thompson and will always give you trouble, no mater how clean. Ive had soooo many problems with mine its incredible. I just recent got fed up and got a completely new box w/ two year warenty.

Anyway, if its not any of that stuff then just clean it and maybe it will run faster, who knows.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright Chrome, the fine folks at xbox forums told me you need to buy a lens cleaner and insert it into the xbox tray, this should clear some crap off the lens and allow it to read easier, go to www.llama.com this has all the info on cleaning and a couple of walkthroughs

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have one of those. My step-bros XBOX was acting up. More than 2 yrs old. I used it on my PS2, b4 it broke(accident, nothing wrong with the unit).

What we did, was took it to the local computer tech. He has fairly nice prices. So, he had a friend who did this stuff. Cleaned it, works. Reads discs we thought were trash.

We are prolly gonna get a chip now. I say you have a tech clean it. They ARE LIABLE if it breaks. WE aren't.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
If you have a Samsung drive, ****ing sell it because its worth 100+

Phillips drives are good but Thompson ones are ****ty.

Just use a Torx 15 screwdriver to take off the cover but be forwarned, opening your xbox WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
I tried opening my controller because I am gonna modify it (thats legal) and it took me soooo long to realize there was a screw under the sticker. I thought the bottom middle was glued or something....

I got it open now, but if anybody else is struggling with it....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAHA same here, then my dad came up and hes like hey dumbass there's two more screws

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
why would you wanna stay crouched?

and as for the cleaning thing, i dont have any of those wierd screw drivers, so i had my friend come over with his cd cleaning kit thing. i played kotorII and it didnt freeze every 20 mins like it had been doing, but it still didnt run as smooth as i would like like

ohh, and i found for a quick and easy way to dust things, take your paintball gun, air it up, and start shooting whatever is dusty and it will instantly be dust free. i dont know if theres delecate parts inside an xbox that could possibly break off, but ive cleaned out my computer like that

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha i actually thought about that but i put my gun away for the winter :(

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
How do you put your gun away for the winter? I ball all year. Guess it gets cold in Minnesota, though.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
word, I put it in the closet under the stairs in it's special case so nothin can get hurt, I now have more room in my closer in my room for clothes and junk tho. as soon as I get my new HPA tank I'll prolly play a couple winter games if i can try

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
feel sorry for you guys who can't play in the winter... my friends first gen xbox is screwin up quite a bit, i've already run a cleaning disk thru it several times, didn't help much. a can of that co2 based dusting spray would do wonders w/ it open...

i have a samsung drive(actualy 2) i may decide to go back and mod it for use in that box if i get it(he may replace the box and give me the old one). i don't know if they still do, but newegg.com had those samsung drives as oem parts for cheap. great to have.

btw, the thing not to touch. that would be any of the electronics. it takes only 200 volts of static electricty to damage an IC. we don't even start to feel static unless its like 2000 volts. the real thing not to touch though are the big canister lookin things, those are called capacitors. computer techs call that a "dead man" or "dead man can". they can hold enough juice to kill you for over 6 months unless properly discharged. yeah, don't touch.

·
Almost leet
1,999 Posts
If u let it site for a day or two it will dissolve the charge in the box wont it though.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Yes after a day or so of being unplugged most smaller capacitors will be at a lower voltage. The real dangerous ones are in monitors and TV's anyway.

If you're cleaning it with an air duster you shouldn't have to worry about any capacitors. If you get the urge to poke things with your fingers, put the cover back on befor eyou hurt yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts