Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my computers getting bogged down so I'm looking for ways to speed it up, so to speak. I'm currently zipping files i hardly ever use, and i know I've got a TON of cookies I'll never use again. wheres the cookie folder at fro mozilla firefox? I figure every little bit helps. heck this might even speed up firefox as well, it likes to crash on me randomly when i need it the most.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dirty dirty.

no it's always crashing just when i have sites up I've bene searching for hours. (think school projects not ****)

it likes to crap out at important times like that and i have to restart windows to get it working again.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
did you try turning off startup items?

click Start->Run type in msconfig
go to the Startup tab
uncheck all but the ones you need most (Virus Scanner, etc.)

this will help improve start-up speed as well as overall running speed of the computer

·
Registered
995 Posts
well how much RAM do you have? If its 128 or so, im not surprised at the problems.

When Dell upgraded all of their computers to XP, they werent thinking. They kept all of their computers at 128 mb of ram when they put them out. That was fine for Windows 98, but not enough to run something like XP. So when someone (including me) buys a new Dell Computer, its slow, even tho its new. Thats b/c the RAM isnt suitable enought to run XP. Just a little background info., i dont know if you have a Dell, but its just something to know.

Do a spyware scan, as it might be that. Also do a virus scan. Try doing a disk cleanup and a disk defragmenter. Then go to add/remove programs and remove all the programs that you rarely use. Of course, Im assuming that you are using XP.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm very computer savy and i'm running only essential things at startup and I've got virusscan and spyware stuff that runs every night. I reguraly clean out unused programs but i sorta forgot about defragging..dont' know why that slipped my mind. that'll definately fix things. (however i've had problems loosing my harddrive while defragging. not on this computer but my parents. needless to say it wasn't a fun experience)

My computer was custom built by a friend and was top of the lin 4 years ago (I was gonna build my own but he got a laptop and sold this for a very very good deal) it's got 500 mg of ram

I know most computers you buy in a package deal try to skip out on the ram side of this, it's always the first thing i tell people to do when they buy a new computer from a store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts