Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

What higher education route should I take?

• 4 year university

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 2 year tech, transfer to 4 year university

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Drop out and play metal

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my senior year is almost a quarter done, and I have some college planning to do.

I've kind of narrowed my choices down to a few things that are available to me. Right now, as of this moment, the only scholarship I have is our LIFE scholarship which is $4,700 for tuition and $300 for books, no board. My family has no money saved for me to go to school.

That in mind, my first choice of schools is the University of South Carolina (Go Gamecocks).

Anyways, tuition this year was $7,600, an average of $800 in books and lab expenses, and $6,500 for room and board (if I went to this school, I would probably have to stay on campus or get an apartment or room near-by, I live a good distance away).

Going to USC would be >$14,900 a year with board. So I have a third of that knocked out, I'd have to apply for more scholarships, grants, and working really hard (staying away from loans) to get the rest of the way.

The second option, would be going to a local tech school (Midlands Tech) for two years to get my bachelor, and then transfer to USC for my associates.

The beauty of this option, is with my LIFE scholarship, going to Tech is totally FREE with $300 for books (no board, but this school is within driving distance of my house).

I'm hoping to study in the fields of marketing and public relations, but of course that will probably change.

What would you guys do in this situation? Poll for convenience.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
So, my senior year is almost a quarter done, and I have some college planning to do.

I've kind of narrowed my choices down to a few things that are available to me. Right now, as of this moment, the only scholarship I have is our LIFE scholarship which is $4,700 for tuition and $300 for books, no board. My family has no money saved for me to go to school.

That in mind, my first choice of schools is the University of South Carolina (Go Gamecocks).

Anyways, tuition this year was $7,600, an average of $800 in books and lab expenses, and $6,500 for room and board (if I went to this school, I would probably have to stay on campus or get an apartment or room near-by, I live a good distance away).

Going to USC would be >$14,900 a year with board. So I have a third of that knocked out, I'd have to apply for more scholarships, grants, and working really hard (staying away from loans) to get the rest of the way.

The second option, would be going to a local tech school (Midlands Tech) for two years to get my bachelor, and then transfer to USC for my associates.

The beauty of this option, is with my LIFE scholarship, going to Tech is totally FREE with $300 for books (no board, but this school is within driving distance of my house).

I'm hoping to study in the fields of marketing and public relations, but of course that will probably change.

What would you guys do in this situation? Poll for convenience.

What I would actually suggest is to go to a two year school (not technical school, a community college) in the same area as USC. In most places it is much easier to transfer from a community college in the same area than one from another. BTW going to a 4yr straight out of HS is kind off a waste. You end up paying more money for the same classes.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
2-year community college (alot of tech school classes are non-transferable to a major university), then go to a 4-year school. There are generally a LOT of scholarship opportunities at universities for individuals who have 24 community college hours.

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come to USC with me.
Give me $10,000. :hug:

I don't really care that I'm "robbing" myself of college experience. I really just want to get my education and move on. As far as you guys talking about the benefit of going to a trade school or community college...

I'm not sure if we even have a community college. And, I can't really pick a trade school right now because I'm not sure what I want to do. Transfering from Midlands Tech to USC is an extremely popular thing to do around here, because a lot of people can't afford to go to USC for 4 years or their grades aren't good enough.

So I wouldn't be extremely worried about them accepting me from Tech.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
stupid to go to 2 year then transfer. you're robbing yourself of a college experience.

if you are gonna go to a 2 year to begin with, just go to a technical or trade school...cuz it would be pointless to transfer into a 4 year at that point.
Huh?

If he goes to a cheap two year and just gets a liberal arts degree, that will make it much easier and cheaper to get into a better 4 year, where he can get a better major as well minor in something with the time he's saved getting gen-eds and electives out of the way (assuming they transfer). Kinda wished I had done that instead of going to a 4 year college to begin with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts