Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my computer is being hell of gay. It freezes up all the time, sometimes it will freeze even before i finish typing in my password. I've ran a bunch of spyware programs to delete all the spyware and have norton anti-virus and I de-fragged and such but nothing has worked. Suggestions from you computer people?

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bleh that computer is relatively new, I got it a few months ago and it's pretty fast when it doesn't **** up on me.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
perhaps keeping up with your computer before you have problems. also, if you're running aol, drop it. those "super-dee-dooper" spyware and anti-virus **** they claim to have and work so well is cheap and ineffective. if it gets too bad, just back up all of your files, and format you computer, and then re-install windws. get norton antivirus 2004, adaware SE personal, and Zone alarm. dont get spybot, there's only 1 legit spybot out there, and 3498567346 others that claim to be legit, but are simply adware. plus, spybot is just a downed software incomparison to adaware anyways. and if you dont know how to format and reinstall, pay your neighborhood's comp nerd to do it. going out and buying a new computer (baltar) because it doesn't work the way you want it to is a waste of money, and ****ing stupid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, now, don't call me stupid. My computer's 2-3 years old anyway. The new computer I'm getting will be fully costum built by a local computer store, plus I get a spiffy case! :D

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad is an electric engineer and built the computer so he could probably fix it, but he's backed up with work and won't do a damn thing about the computer and so I was wondering if there was a solution I could do to fix it without him having to do it. And I do have Norton 2004 and for anti-spyware i've been using spysweeper and adaware.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go buy norton utilities or systemworks and a decent firewall utility (blackice is good). Back up what you need to on CDs, then reboot, and reformat your hard disk (use NTFS, not FAT32). Once windows is installed, immediatly install the firewall and norton before you configure the internet connection. Then download updated software drivers for all your hardware and then use liveupdate and windows update. The most important thing for a stable system is to keep things updated. Keep Norton System doctor running at all times and run the Norton Utilities Windoctor utility to keep the registry clean. Watch what you download and keep the security settings for internet applications as high as reasonable. Stay away from questionable and unsecured websites (**** and hacker sites for the most part). Avoid Kazza and Napster like the plague. If you want to share files, use BitTorrent or IRC.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meh, poopy, I didn't feel like doing it but seems like im going to have to reformat my computer. And Jason, It's not my fault, you got me hooked.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
hmmm if you have 512, you shouldnt be havin a prob cuz of that, but the more the better, 512 is pretty good, otherwise try gettin rid of some of the crap programs that you dont use a whole lot or anything that take up a crapload of room... start/contol panel/add or remove programs, and then just search through and get rid of **** ya dont need.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
No0bIe_PaIntBal said:
And Jason, It's not my fault, you got me hooked.
Sorry =( ;)

Also...Dont delete **** that you dont know what it is(like if it says "Websearch" then ya...get rid of it...but if its like Microsoft Word then...uh...dont?)

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I know I'm not that big of a computer noob. I went and I've deleted basically everything that I don't need, my computer has 512 MB of ram and 2.66 ghz, it really shouldn't be freezing up.

O

·
0 Posts
Try getting McAfee, scans all your files awesome. I love it. Never have problems. But if it's really really bad, just reboot your computer.

·
Registered
905 Posts
has it started reciently? if so you might wanna do system restore and then set your computer back a week or so. if that doesnt work then try starting in safe mode and uninstalling any programs that you installed reciently

1 - 20 of 25 Posts