Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice. Soon, my family plans on replacing the computer we bought in the fall of 2000 with something new. In this process I will be gaining ownership of our current computer. I plan on doing some major upgrading of it and making a sleeper. I just want to know what I really should replace. My friend told me that with a couple hundred bucks I can have a very respectable PC. It's a HP Pavilion built in late 2000. I already plan on replacing the CD-Rom with something faster (more than 4x burning speed), getting lots more RAM, and replacing Windows ME with either 2000 or XP (whichever I can find cheaper/free-er). I plan on keeping the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and case no matter what. So what needs to be replaced inside and what can I keep? Or should I just empty it all out and start fresh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
check the graphics and sound cards and also the processor
 

·
Cunning Linguist
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
I have been doing the same thing to my computer over the last couple of years, I think it all really depends on what you expect from it and, the most important thing is what board you have in there. If you plan on playing any recent games, you will almost definitely need a new board in order to be compatible with the newer higher end components. If you just want to be able to use a word processor and surf the interent, you may be able to keep more of what you already have. The most important thing is to find out what board you currently have.
 

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot, I'll also be replacing the processor with ANYTHING. It's a Celeron, and it's bad. New speakers as well. I'll also try to figure out the rest of the components in it. Can I figure out what board, cards, etc. are inside with out tearing it all apart? I got yelled at for that last time, and that was no fun. I can do it though, it's just a matter of finding another way if I can.

But for the most part, I just want a respectable all around PC. I'm not a huge gamer (much actually being my **** for a computer fact) but I want my PC to have average/slightly above average gaming capibilities for todays standards, nothing fancy. Other than that, I just want it to be good and run without locking up at all.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
12,110 Posts
Most of the stuff you mentioned is just accesories.

IF you want to make it faster, you need more processor power adn more memory. Unfortunetly, most older computers can't handle the 512mb chips that are going around nowadays. Go to www.tigerdirect.com.

Look for a motherboard that comes with an intel pentium 4. Anythign over 2 ghz will work well for you. Also , make sure toget some meory for it, and make sure your memory is compatable with your motherboard. Have a techie friend or a store install the mems for you because you can fry them easily.

Harddrives are cheap enough. Just go for a 40 gig. Unless your using your computer for mass multimedia storage (we're talkign abotu like a million mp3's) you dont need 250 gb.. 40-80 gig should work fine for you.

Monitor, keyboard printer speakers and anythign outside of the box won't relaly increase performance.

www.newegg.com and tigerdirect are your best two sites for that stuff.

EDIT: IF you want to be above average gaming computer.. 3.6 ghz, and 1024mb ddr ram. 250 gig HD and shiz.

A faster cd drive won't make your computer faster.Games stopped running off CDs back in the good old days of windows 98. Even before then. Most games require a cd for only installation, and if your burning CDs, you don't need anything much more then 48x write. You can find a 48xer for like 50 bucks if you look hard enough.
 

·
Cunning Linguist
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
I believe there are sites you can go to find out what is in your computer without opening it up, I'll try and get it from a friend of mine and get back to you. If you want above average gaming capabilities I can almost guarantee that you will need a new mobo. Another friend of mine is actually selling a really nice mobo/processor package, its really top of the line, he was thinking of ebaying it, but if you are interested, he might be able to save ebay fees by going direct, (if that is considered advertising and against forum rules, by all means please edit it mods). You may need a new case to accomodate this mobo though, so it may not be an option. There isn't really too much you can plan without knowing what you got to begin with, so I'll get on finding out about that site. You may want to consider just getting a Dell or something though, you can't really go wrong with those, and it probably wouldn't cost you much more for a much better pc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
Since your parents don't like you tearing the computer apart I suggest going to a local computer store i.e. microcenter and buying a bundle to save some money, just if you get a P4 or AMD make sure they are HT and the board supports HT. Then just ask the guys at the store what memory your board supports and get like 512 (2 x 256 for dual channel if possible) and have them put everything together for you.



EDIT: @ angered fists, I see no problem with your post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
athlon (you pick make sure it has hyper threading) for proccesor
ATI 9800 for vid card
dual boot XP for games and slackware (linux) for just about everything else (this is why you need hyperthreading)

the above will make you a truly happy person
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
MassPainter66 said:
athlon (you pick make sure it has hyper threading) for proccesor
ATI 9800 for vid card
dual boot XP for games and slackware (linux) for just about everything else (this is why you need hyperthreading)

the above will make you a truly happy person
The only athlons that have HT = hyper transport is the AMD 64s that I have seen.
 

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alpha said:
Most of the stuff you mentioned is just accesories.

IF you want to make it faster, you need more processor power adn more memory. Unfortunetly, most older computers can't handle the 512mb chips that are going around nowadays. Go to www.tigerdirect.com.

Look for a motherboard that comes with an intel pentium 4. Anythign over 2 ghz will work well for you. Also , make sure toget some meory for it, and make sure your memory is compatable with your motherboard. Have a techie friend or a store install the mems for you because you can fry them easily.

Harddrives are cheap enough. Just go for a 40 gig. Unless your using your computer for mass multimedia storage (we're talkign abotu like a million mp3's) you dont need 250 gb.. 40-80 gig should work fine for you.

Monitor, keyboard printer speakers and anythign outside of the box won't relaly increase performance.

www.newegg.com and tigerdirect are your best two sites for that stuff.

EDIT: IF you want to be above average gaming computer.. 3.6 ghz, and 1024mb ddr ram. 250 gig HD and shiz.

A faster cd drive won't make your computer faster.Games stopped running off CDs back in the good old days of windows 98. Even before then. Most games require a cd for only installation, and if your burning CDs, you don't need anything much more then 48x write. You can find a 48xer for like 50 bucks if you look hard enough.
THIS is what I was looking for, thanks. I knew that most of it I said was just accessories too. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with the hard drive right away. I have a 30 gig, and while that's still small, we never have it fuller than about 7....I'll give it a shot and upgrade if needed. Memory, processor, and board I knew would have to be replaced though. Any ideas for chipsets? The CD drive too was mostly for burning...I hate waiting 45 minutes to burn a CD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
not hypertrans hyper threading it fools the computer into thinking you have two proccessors enabling you too do alot of things you couldnt do otherwise

Read
 

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BunkerMonkey said:
Since your parents don't like you tearing the computer apart I suggest going to a local computer store i.e. microcenter and buying a bundle to save some money, just if you get a P4 or AMD make sure they are HT and the board supports HT. Then just ask the guys at the store what memory your board supports and get like 512 (2 x 256 for dual channel if possible) and have them put everything together for you.



EDIT: @ angered fists, I see no problem with your post.
Well, once the computer is mine I can tear it apart all I want. It's just that while it's the family computer right now, she doesn't like me to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
TOO MUCH MISINFORMATION HERE!

Tony, you're gonna have to carve out the internals of this computer and replace everything. Don't worry, it won't be bad!

First off, you're gonna go with AMD (or should) because it's cheaper and beats intel in every benchmark except Video editing and rendering. Go with AMD for any gaming, and AIM, etc..

Here:

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&depa=1

CD-ROM - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-151-208&depa=1

Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-126&depa=1

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-541&depa=1

Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-420&depa=1

Processor (currently out of stock) - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-418&depa=1

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-305&depa=1

Good computer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
first thing u need to do is find out the exact specs of ur computer now...so u can know what to upgrade...and how far u will be able to go.

unfortunalty i dont think upgrading ur computer now will make a big difference. Your motherboard will most likley be ur biggest dragger. Now in 2004 there is new ram out...called DDR...i doubt they had it back in 2000...along with the processor...motherboards can only handle certain processors. If you have a celeron now...then ur motherboard most lilkey wil only be able to take other celerons...which will make no difference when upgrading cuz all celerons now are SLOW.

The only way to make your computer better...is to sell it...keep the monitor..speakers...keyboard..and mouse...and build your own. You can get a decently fast comptuer with a nice graphics card for around $800 (if you tried buying the same computer from dell it would be around $1500-$2000)

from what it sounds like...upgrading ur comuter and puting money into it will be useless...even if you spend a couple hundred on it...it will still be slow.

Phrophets setup is ok...a lil on the slower side but if your a low key gamer it will get u by...however if you are into newer games such as Doom3 and Hafl life 2 u will need a faster comptuer.

There were some things wrong with prophets setup however.

First off DDR ram will only be faster if you have at least 2 seperat sticks of memory. DDR is Dual channel...meaning it can access 2 sticks at a time...however if you only ahve 1 stick then ur not gonna be using the faster Dual channel. Whatever u do...get 2 seperate sticks of memory...for example a 256 and a 256...then later put in a 512 and u got 1 gig of memory.

next you will need a bigger hard drive then 40 gigs. Files are gettin gbigger and bigger...all current games are easily over a gig. I woudl stongly suggest getting at least a 80 gig drive. They will be under $100

Also whatever u do DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get a ATI saphire card. Saphires are basicly the rejects of the graphics cards. Beleive it or not but each graphcis card that is made will run at a different speed. After they are made they test the card and put it under the 3 different categorys depending on how how fast it runs....this is the same for processors...thats exactly why u can overclock some CPUs to over %25..and others only %5 before they start crashing...anyways...ATi will then put the graphics card in these categorys depending on thier speed...either "pro" "normal" or "saphire". There is a reason they are so cheaply priced.

The motherboard (asus nforce 2 deluxe) is a very nice board...i have it and have had great results.

Here is my PC specs...i built my own and have gotten very good results from it...it can handle doom3 under medium-high graphics. I would think everything now would cost aroiudn $800-$700

Asus Nforce 2 motherboard

AMD Athalon 2800 XP

Seatgate 110 Gb hard drive (serial ATA)

1 gig of ram (333 DDR 3 sticks)

ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 mb

then get a case of your choice...i woudl sugget getting one already with a power supply so u dont have to worry about installing it.

and decent CD-rom will do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,779 Posts
if you want to make it a true sleeper...get a cheap motherboard, cpu and ram package off line. you may have to drill and tap some new mounting stud holes as well as cutting out or removing part of the existing connection back panel but that'll make it a real sleeper. my comptuer is just a monster...
 

·
Cunning Linguist
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
ViP_ViPeR said:
im sorry but that is like the most pathetic geekiest thing ive ever heard
Really? Was that called for? Was that contributive? Seriously, if you have nothing to add, just stfu, and get out. Goodbye.

I think I'm missing something, what exactly is a sleeper?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top