Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna buy some stuff for my computer but I dont know what to buy. Help me out. It says HP pavilon mx 75 on the monitor and Hp pavilon 541n on the hard drive thinger. Some problems...

1. It is so slow. It literally take about 5 minutes to boot up. Everything that is not on the internet is slow. filSuch as openinges and stuff.
2. If I get some programs going it will freeze up and take a while to get to what I want.
3. I cant play any games. The graphics are bad and games are glichy. AT first I thought it was lag but games run perfectly at my dads house witch is the exact same internet source.(high speed). I think its just the computer cant handle it IDK you tell me.

Really it doesnt work for anything I want. What could I replace to make this better. $ dont matter as long as its cheaper than a new computer.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
when was the last time you did some general maintinace on it? first thing for you to do is some general stuff like htat. i'm a computer tech, aim me and i'll help u out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
first mistake was buying an HP.

All hope isnt lost tho. Altho HP's are built like crap you can fix certain things. Hardware isnt your problem. thank god because HP's use alot of integrated cards.

First off take your HP recovery disks and snap them in 2. Now Get a fresh clean version of Windows XP with SP2... You can download this off nukmerous places.

Now save everything you "NEED" onto cd or dvd.

Now reformat your computer with the new clean XP.

Next restore the files you saved. Only the ones you need out of the ones you saved. Things such as pictures or other stuff u hardly use just leave on the disk.

Now update your drivers and retry your games.

If they dont work you need a new video card. Depending on your HP this can be simple or impossible.

You should have atleast 2 or 3 pci slots free on your mother board. Install a new better video card and try the games after updating drivers for them.

If your computer still uses the other videocard disable it in the bios.

A cheaper way to find out which video card to get is to try ur dad's video card on your computer.

If your not good with computers find someone who is. Have them install Ad-aware,Firefox, and Norton.

Good Luck

btw m a comp tech too.

If your really looking more for a new compy i would suggest having one either custom made for u or you making one.

Dells arent that bad either. You basically tell them what you want and their prices are fair. Way better than any HP or Compaq.

I myself have a Sony Vaio and a Self Built computer wth transparent case

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
lovetocheat69 said:
Im gonna buy some stuff for my computer but I dont know what to buy.
Judging by the way you described your problems, and your general lack of technical knowledge, I HIGHLY recommend you don't try to upgrade anything on your own. I'm sure you can find at least one friend that knows what he's doing to help you. If not, or you decide to go about things on your own, follow the steps given by [^_^x].

If it worked at least moderately well before (opened MS word quickly, booted XP in 40 seconds or less, etc) and now has problems, your decreased performance is probably due to spyware, viruses, or file corruption (i.e. user error).
[^_^x] said:
Good advice (especially the "snap your restore CD" part
), but I think most of it is going to go right over his head. When you start talking about drivers, BIOS, etc, it's a little more involved than the average kid is going to understand.
lbreevesii said:
i'm a computer

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
^^ i agree with your first statement intirely. never mess w/ stuff unless u know wat ure doing. u can totally fubar a mobo w/o even knowing it. but ilke i said to him, talk to me on aim and i'll help you bring it back up to like new condition

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would never touch this computer. I just need to find out what this things need so the computer guy can put them in. Im sure he could tell me but he seems to be quite lazy and not very helpful. He put on norton, and all that anti spywhere stuff. I think it was wiped out a while ago. I think I will tell my mom to get a dell if we get a new computer. That is what my dad has and I like it. Any other coputer recomendations? Something fast, and that will work good for games. I would like to get this one fixed but that doesnt sound too likely. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
personally, i'd just build another one...like i offered b4, i can help u majorly tune up this one w/o spending any cash at all. if u do upgrade anything on it hto, it should be the ram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts