Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a 1.0 GB stick of RAM for my computer. The 1gb stick is 533mhz. if i run my old 256mb stick thats rated at 400mhz, will the 1.2gb of ram at 400mhz be faster than the 1.0gb of ram at 533 mhz?

i know if i put the 256 back in, the speed will be back down to 400mhz, but there will be 1.2gb opposed to 1.0 gb at 533.

thanks in advance,
Aaron

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Im at my freinds house (he is certified A+ tech). He says not to put the two in at the same time because mismatching speeds is bad. I failed the A+ test but im pretty sure it can cause system problems if you do.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roadkill said:
Im at my freinds house (he is certified A+ tech). He says not to put the two in at the same time because mismatching speeds is bad. I failed the A+ test but im pretty sure it can cause system problems if you do.
okay thanks.

im in the A+ class currently, but couldnt quite remember.

<3

·
12,110 Posts
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
1.0 at 533 is better than 1.2 at 400.
I was going to say the same thing. RAM is one of the best upgrades you can get for your PC. Good choice guy.

Just make sure you put them in the right way. I've seen too many fried sticks in my day =(

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
No1TubaPlayer said:
im in the A+ class currently, but couldnt quite remember.
I hope your teacher is better than mine was. Every day in his class we would just answer common A+ test questions. I mean literally everyday, i learnt almost nothing because i cant learn like that. The only people that passed were the people that were already super computer geniuses. When i took the test there were questions on stuff that wasnt even mentioned in class.

·
redneck with a blowtorch!
2,345 Posts
Huey69 said:
Don't you have to have the same sized memory to have more then one(i.e two 512 sticks or two 256 sticks), you can't mix and match can you?
it depends on SDram and DDram (S meaning single.)
then each one is independant. just the speed needs to be matched.

as for your question tuba, it would depend on if your motherboard can support that or not. basicly if it reads it, then it will, and you would need to put the slower memory in slot 1. If you go the other way, then it should not recognize the slower memory. (1st slot should set speed for bus.)

Most of my actual hardware knolege is pre ddr, so take that for what it is...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, ive decided to keep the 1.0 at 533, and im pleased to say the least. everything i do on this computer seems to be more "crisp" of an action than before. thanks for all the opinions, i enjoyed leaning a thing or two.

and alpha, i took special care to put it in right, i even had purchased my own ground strap. :tup

edit: and btw, its ddr2 sdram.

edit edit: and for good measure, heres a picture of me playing the tuba. im a doctor in the halloween parade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts