Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Tippmann Carver One shoots around 270 fps. Out of six shots I get these results.

1st shot-298
2nd shot-285
3rd shot-234
4th shot-292
5th shot-320
6th shot-249

I have put a RAP4 Spring kit and I put the strongest spring in there. It used to shoot 260 very inconsistently. Now it added 15 more fps but its still shooting inconsistent. What do I have to do?

Specs:
US army carver one
Custom products 14 inch tactical barrel with apex (could the consistency be caused by a problem with the barrel?)
RAP4 Black Spring
Shooting Diablo Heat Paintballs
bought this gun 3 months ago and put around 2500 rounds through it. And I dry fired 3 full tanks to help break in the Air regulator. Does the air regulator need to break in more?

My gun's velocity turned all the way up, it only shoots 290 at max. My friends Alpha Black can shoot up to 390 fps with his velocity all the way up. Did tippmann make the Carver One like this so it limits the velocity? My friend also uses the Smart Parts Progressive Barrel. Could the barrel be the the reason why his gun shoots so high?

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
you shouldnt be worried about shooting so high, its dangerous anyway and just wastes air.

sounds to me like your marker needs some TLC, tear it down, clean it, lube it, chances are that is all it needs

also, the carver does not have a regulator, clean it, lube it, see if that fixes it and if it doesnt, take the apex tip off your barrel and see if that changes anything

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That velocity spread doesn't look terrible I'd place the problem on the paint. How is the paint fitting the barrel? I'm betting they are a little on the small side.

oh and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP TRYING TO SHOOT OVER 300FPS!!! Anything over 300fps and the chance for serious injury goes way up and it messes up your accuracy anyway. If you want consistency for accuracy try to focus on a goal of +/- 10fps (about the right range for a blowback) at around 280fps. A complete tear down and cleaning wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that shooting so high is dangerous. I said that my friend CAN shoot up to 390 fps but he doesnt. I was just wondering why his gun can shoot so high but mine cant. His gun-US Army Alpha Black v.s.My gun-US Army Carver one. Our guns have the same internals but different builds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you shouldnt be worried about shooting so high, its dangerous anyway and just wastes air.

sounds to me like your marker needs some TLC, tear it down, clean it, lube it, chances are that is all it needs

also, the carver does not have a regulator, clean it, lube it, see if that fixes it and if it doesnt, take the apex tip off your barrel and see if that changes anything
I have cleaned the internals several times and I have shot it without the Apex on and I still get the same results. Could a better barrel with more air holes help reduce the inconsistent velocities? I currently use the CP Tactical 14 inch barrel.

Oops I meant the Air Hose. Does the Air hose on a paintball gun need to be broken in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That velocity spread doesn't look terrible I'd place the problem on the paint. How is the paint fitting the barrel? I'm betting they are a little on the small side.

oh and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP TRYING TO SHOOT OVER 300FPS!!! Anything over 300fps and the chance for serious injury goes way up and it messes up your accuracy anyway. If you want consistency for accuracy try to focus on a goal of +/- 10fps (about the right range for a blowback) at around 280fps. A complete tear down and cleaning wouldn't hurt either.
I dont shoot over 300 feet per second, my gun just does that. I try to keep it around 290 because the velocity bounces around so much. I have cleaned the gun before chronoing it. My gun on average shoots 270 fps.

I think youre on to something about the paint... Do you think a different barrel could possibly fix this problem?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If the barrel is a better match for the paint it might help. You might also want to buy better paint the cheap stuff isn't always a consistent size or perfectly round.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I dont shoot over 300 feet per second, my gun just does that.
.........:dodgy:

the barrel isnt the issue i can almost guarantee that, unless its bent or something strange it will not cause your issue, you said you tore down the marker and cleaned it but did you properly oil it when you put it back together???

also, if you know anyone with a HPA tank try to retest using that, i think this is probably just a CO2 issue, try chronoing it doewn to around 285 and see if that helps, sometimes when you try to push it right to 300 funny things happen, the smallest change in volume of co2 that expanded can cause higher velocities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.........:dodgy:

the barrel isnt the issue i can almost guarantee that, unless its bent or something strange it will not cause your issue, you said you tore down the marker and cleaned it but did you properly oil it when you put it back together???

also, if you know anyone with a HPA tank try to retest using that, i think this is probably just a CO2 issue, try chronoing it doewn to around 285 and see if that helps, sometimes when you try to push it right to 300 funny things happen, the smallest change in volume of co2 that expanded can cause higher velocities.
Have oiled it properly and I use HPA tank. I have shot it around 285 and it still shoots inconsistently.

Its probably a barrel issue. I found out Im using a .689 bore barrel. Too tight. Ill try a bigger bore barrel. if that doesnt work. I probably have to break it in.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
if you know someone with another tippmann barrel then go for it but dont spend money on another barrel unless you know thats the issue, i highly doubt it is anyway, .689 is one of the most common bores out there

how long have you had this marker?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you know someone with another tippmann barrel then go for it but dont spend money on another barrel unless you know thats the issue, i highly doubt it is anyway, .689 is one of the most common bores out there

how long have you had this marker?

I have had my marker for a few months.

Im gonna test out the velocity again with my friend .693 barrel.

I have also watch some techpb videos and he says to use slightly larger bore barrels. So I'll try his idea out.

I also remember using my other barrel which is 11 inches and has a .691 bore and that seemed to shoot consistently.

I'll come back to you with results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
same results after I have cleaned it and tryed a bigger bore barrel. Im gonna send my gun to Tippmann for Warranty Repair. I met a guy at Splat Tag and his Carver one shoots 300 fps and his velocity adjuster is only a quarter way up. My velocity adjuster is all the way up and it only shoots 270 at best and its still very inconsistent. Hopefully Tippmann can fix it.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
may be some form of main spring issue, or power tube, those would be my bets

and it doesnt matter where the velocity screw is in relation to 300 fps, stop comparing your marker to others and thinking there is any kind of issue because they can shoot hotter, its not a good thing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
may be some form of main spring issue, or power tube, those would be my bets

and it doesnt matter where the velocity screw is in relation to 300 fps, stop comparing your marker to others and thinking there is any kind of issue because they can shoot hotter, its not a good thing
I want the best performance out of my gun. I dont want a half ass gun that shoots really low when the velocity is set on high. I know that shooting over 300 is dangerous. I dont know how many times I told you guys that I dont shoot over 300. I want the best out of my gun and thats it. I want to fix this problem so that it wont shoot so inconsistently. I have narrowed down my problem and it may be the powertube. I have already posted a new topic in tippmann forum and these guys know tippmanns very well. Tippmann Forum - Carver One Velocity Issues

I have check the same gun with 3 other guys now and they all have their velocity adjusters only a quarter of a way out and they all have achieved 300fps with that.

Tippmann cannot warranty my gun so I got to make my own repair.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I have check the same gun with 3 other guys now and they all have their velocity adjusters only a quarter of a way out and they all have achieved 300fps with that.
and why does it matter where their screw is in relation to 300? not all markers are the same in reality its better to have one like yours that 300 is the max it can get to, that way you can fine tune it better at 285 or so, there is not an issue because your marker hits 300 with the adjustment screw further in, if it were shooting at 300 all the way out then yes you have an issue becuse you can not adjust it down but thats not the case

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
and why does it matter where their screw is in relation to 300? not all markers are the same in reality its better to have one like yours that 300 is the max it can get to, that way you can fine tune it better at 285 or so, there is not an issue because your marker hits 300 with the adjustment screw further in, if it were shooting at 300 all the way out then yes you have an issue becuse you can not adjust it down but thats not the case
Yes it does matter. All their guns shoots 300 fps with their velocity adjusted half way. I need to have mine adjusted all the way out to achieve 270 fps. Does that seem to be odd to you? It is to me. If tippmann made all the guns the same, the guns should function the same as well.

It shoots 270 with the velocity all the way out. and my gun cannot even achieve 300 fps consistently. Thats a big big problem for me. I want the best performance out of my gun. I would make a video explaining this problem but Im not gonna go through that trouble. Its hard to explain and it would make sense alot faster if you were in my position. I have already narrowed down my problem. the main spring is just fine, I put a RAP4 spring in it and I achieved 15 more fps than before(260fps). As you said it may be a spring or a powertube problem. My spring is fine, so it must be the powertube. Im going to order a dead on seal powertube and if this one solves the problem, I'll reply.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
Yes it does matter. All their guns shoots 300 fps with their velocity adjusted half way. I need to have mine adjusted all the way out to achieve 270 fps. Does that seem to be odd to you? It is to me. If tippmann made all the guns the same, the guns should function the same as well.

It shoots 270 with the velocity all the way out. and my gun cannot even achieve 300 fps consistently. Thats a big big problem for me. I want the best performance out of my gun. I would make a video explaining this problem but Im not gonna go through that trouble. Its hard to explain and it would make sense alot faster if you were in my position. I have already narrowed down my problem. the main spring is just fine, I put a RAP4 spring in it and I achieved 15 more fps than before(260fps). As you said it may be a spring or a powertube problem. My spring is fine, so it must be the powertube. Im going to order a dead on seal powertube and if this one solves the problem, I'll reply.
1st shot-298

2nd shot-285

4th shot-292

5th shot-320
i fail to see how you marker can only shoot 270 with the adjuster all the way out as you are claiming when 4 of the 6 shots from your own test are above that and in fact your average is very close to 280 for all 6, in fact 3 of the 4 shots i have quoted above would be considered hot at most fields

just because a marker is made by the same company doesnt mean it will be exactly the same, Toyoda made a metric ton of cars, so why didnt every single one of them have that accelerator issue? or why dont parts break at exactly the same milige on every car made by chevy, ford or dodge?

just because its made out of the same factory means nothing, thats just where your marker is at 300, i had a bolt in my dm6 warp on me a year ago, the aluminum just warped over time, nobody knew what was going on because nobody else had ever encountered that problem, thats just the marker i got

each marker is different, even if they were put together one right after the other, you are making way too big of a deal about being able to shoot at 300, vary rarely do fields even let you shoot right at 300 anyway, yes your marker is having some consistancy issues but max FPS isnt nearly as importanat as you seem to believe it is

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Actually I just had another thought here all the velocity screw does is restrict the flow of air to slow the velocity down. If your velocity is too low that indicates there is a problem further back down the line. My new thought is that the culprit could be your HPA tank. A lot of tanks, even high pressure output tanks, don't have a high enough pressure for many blowback markers. It could even be a faulty regulator having trouble maintaining a high enough output causing the spread in velocity. I know that CO2 isn't cool with the hip kids today but have you tried it on your marker? In good weather CO2 is pretty damn predictable and reliably puts out plenty of pressure for blowbacks. In fact one of the reasons they make spring kits is that in warm weather CO2 puts out too much pressure and markers have a hard time shooting under 300fps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts