Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me tell you guys something about a little thing I like to call crew socks.

Sixth grade: the days were sunnier, the trees were greener, and I could get away with wearing whitey tighties and shirts with dragons on them...but if you wanted to be cool, everyone knew ankle socks were where it was at. No one wanted to be seen with their saggy ass crew socks bunchin' up at the top of the shoe. I had already come to the conclusion that JNCO jeans were too much money for me, but everyone can afford new socks; you can even get them for free from long gone aunts who don't want to get you a real present for Christmas! Thus, when my mother finally got me ankle socks, I gingerly applied them to my feet and couldn't have felt cooler unless I was a contestant on Legends of the Hidden Temple...HELL YEAH! No more looking like a dope with his crew socks down around his ankle's, killin' the look of his brand new Reeboks. Maybe I would be lucky enough and Kim would think I was so cool that she would want to hold hands with me. As I grew older though, the times began to change.

This little fashion trend began to grow and soon enough socks were getting shorter and shorter. Ankle socks turned into low cut socks and low cut became extra low cut. Next thing I knew I was getting callouses on the back of my feet from the ass end of my shoe rubbing up against my fragile pubescent skin. I decided that I'm not a fool and soon enough I returned to the glory of proper ankle socks. I would silently mock all the kids who wore socks so low their grandparents would be embarrassed to go motoring around town with them else their grandchildren be considered loose. I thought to myself "I'm better than them because of my ankle socks." as I sat eating cups of pudding by myself at the end of the table, looking out the window wishing I could cast fireballs.

Then a few weeks ago I was standing in Wal-Mart, deciding what exactly I needed to out last the cutting winds and bitter cold of a New Hampshire winter. This year I decided to play it smart and bring out my nice winter boots, prepared for the long treks through snow and ice so that I may learn that in fact it is possible to calculate the orthogonal basis to the null space. That's right, THE null space. Whilst perusing goods that were at low, low prices, I spotted, at the end of the aisle lit up by a sweet golden light, a row of grey crew socks made by Hanes just waiting to be taken home by a loving family. I figured I'd need them to protect my legs from my boots, so I went ahead with the purchase, albeit wary of the fact I hadn't warn a crew sock in 7 years. I packed them in my bag and headed back to school, not really thinking about them until the next day.

I awoke to find it was a particularly cool morning, already was Winter beginning to show it's face. I decided that I should give these new crew socks a chance, they deserve it as much as any other sock, right? I'll be damned if I am ever called some sort of prejudice asshole. As soon as I slipped my right foot into the sock, it was as if an angel came from Heaven and breathed her warm angel breath right onto my foot and lower calf. I can't remember if I had gotten an erection at that time as well, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. As I put the other one on my left foot I gazed out the window overlooking main street. "It may be 25 degrees, but it won't get me down" I thought to myself, "For I have rediscovered the crew sock and my life is now complete." As I left my room I held my head up high and walked to and fro like a man with a purpose. I probably got laid or something and I bet the crew socks did it...Women are always looking for a man on the wild side.

So all you kids out there, maybe ankle socks are still cool when you wear shorts, but do yourself a favor; when it's time to put on those long pants, get yourself a few pairs of crew socks, you'll be happy you did.

wave:

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I've got all kinds of socks. Low cut socks for sneakers, crew socks for boots, thick long wool socks for winter boots/snowmobiling, cotton socks, polyester socks, dress socks, socks without matches, ect. I guess one can never have too many socks.

This reminds me though, I'm running low on underwear. Tons of socks, but all my underwear keeps disappearing. ;0

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
black socks are where its at. just as cheap as white socks, but as andrew said, you can throw them in the wash with your colored laundry, plus black socks never really look dirty, and dirty white socks look trashy.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I've got all kinds of socks. Low cut socks for sneakers, crew socks for boots, thick long wool socks for winter boots/snowmobiling, cotton socks, polyester socks, dress socks, socks without matches, ect. I guess one can never have too many socks.
Once again, Dooms knows where it's at. thumup:

I also rock the crew socks for ice hockey and roller hockey. I've had to wear low socks before when I forgot a pair of crew socks, and it just feels weird. Very distracting.

-Jin

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Not sure what a crew sock is I'm assuming just a sock that covers the ankle. If so I wear some adidas ones and some just plain old hanes in the winter.

But summer I def wear low cut socks with all of my shorts. Even though I usually stick to camo haha. I cant stand bluejean shorts. Khakis and I look like a bro that just got back from the drivin' range. Might as well strap on some sperrys and put a gold tee behind my ear.

wes.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
I have 2 pair of socks that go higher than my ankles, both match and are black. I wear them with black dress shoes.

Even when I wear jeans/khaki's, anything besides short socks just feels weird.

When I was in the scouts, though, nothing beat a good pair of wool socks and badass winter boots.

O

·
0 Posts
I wear dress socks every day except when I have shorts. So comfortable. Ankle socks or nothing with shorts (if I'm wearing Sperry's (sp?) and sandals).

D

·
0 Posts
I have to wear tube cotton socks every day for work, so needless to say I have a bunch. I have a few pairs of black crew socks though, which I used to rock at lax practice in the early spring. They kept the chill off my shins while wearin shorts.

Who wears crew socks with shorts? I'd say its the best ever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts