Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hammer 7
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a Spyder Hammer 7 and I have seen that you can purchase a rifled barrel for other guns. I'm guessing to increase accuracy. I would like to know:

1.) Can it be done to that kinda of barrel?
2.) Is it worth it?
3.) Where would I go to get it done?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Phenom X7 and have two types of rifled barrels: one is a straight rifled barrel from RAP4 (.68 bore) and the other is a Hammerhead Battle Styx (.684 bore) that is spiral rifled. In truth I have not seen any difference between using any of these two as opposed to a regular smooth bore barrel. The manufacturers all hype about the way the spiral rifling is supposed to give spin to the paintball in flight so that it "drills" through the air and gives is a better trajectory however other studies have not proven it. When you think about it, a paintball is not a solid mass and has a fluid and depending on the maker some air in it. As it spirals, the contents of the paintball will be churning which will negatively affect the trajectory.

Now for First Strike you have a different story. The fins of a FS gives the paint a better trajectory to begin with and a spiral in this case should be better. Since I cant't use FS at our field I haven't really researched any more.

·
Hammer 7
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks!

Hey you said you have the Phenom? How is that marker? That is the marker I would like to upgrade to!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also upgraded 2 years back from a Tippmann A5. The Phenom is better that the A5 in many ways but I was a bit unlucky with mine as it has been a long and rocky road to get it to where I want it to be. I was having velocity issues for a long time, but finally got it right.

Since I play primarily woodsball and like a tight setup (do not like long rifle barrels) I am using a RAP4 6 inch barrel with a 2 inch ported APEX2 adapter then the APEX2 barrel tip. With all the shrouds I have (even customized one) I am now using the Tippmann Assault shroud. Using a metal sliding stock so it is out of the way unless I need it. I was using a foldaway stock which was easier to work with and gave me a better angle, but I didn't like the way it looked when it was folded and it got caught on branches many times. I also have a SHOT-TRAC camera mounted on the front to augment my google mounted camera.

Tried the mag-fed conversion kit but had too many problems with it so went back to cyclone hopper.

I had considered other markers before settling on the Phenom but I wanted something tactical. The standard tourney style markers I never liked because of the hopper setup. Even holding the marker at an angle, I could never get used to the big hopper, standing high smack in the middle of the marker. Looking at other tactical style markers, you can go crazy looking at all the specs and prices. Best thing is to just settle on what you like and I liked the Tippmann reputation as well as the versatility of modifications available.

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
rifled barrels are all hype. when you think about it the way it works for a firearm is the grooves in the barrel actually dig into the bullet to grab it and spin it (hence why there are grooves in the bullet after it is fired) this also requires a massive underbore to do. but if you do these things to a paintball you would simply pop the paintball in the barrel. None of the rifled barrels on the market actually manage to spin the paintball, heck, hammerhead has a video on their own website that claims their barrel puts a spiral spin AS WELL AS a backspin on the paintball, if they actually did do this physics say the paintball would not go in anything resembling a straight line but they wouldnt lie to us would they?

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I have a hammerhead barrel kit from way back when they were new.

It works as well as any other properly sized barrel. It does not shoot clean after a break. It does not squeegee well. It basically needs washed and dried after a break before it shoots well again.

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
Somebody needs to test rifeled barrels with first strike rounds. However, this may now be a moot point because insurance companies aren't covering them at the moment.
covering FS rounds?

whats their reasoning?

they were being shot at d day

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
what? paintballs
No, First Strikes. Because they don't meet the "whatever" guidelines to be classified as paintballs, most insurance companies therefore won't insure for first strike usage. First strike is trying to have the (is it ANSI?) guidelines updated to include first strikes, but all the safety testing and such needs to be done before they'll consider inclusion.

Not that insurance companies aren't ALLOWED to insure for first strikes, they're simply saying because they don't comform to the "definition" of paintballs, they're not covered.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Its crazy for me to imagine they would sell them and not get approval first, or that the field owners or insurance agents didn't know about them. For them to suddenly pop up and say, "Oh, we didn't know they were used!" Sounds like complete BS coming from the largest PB insurers(like Cossio).

I could see a local company not knowing about them and shutting them down, but the insurance company that covers CPX, PEVS, Orlando Paintball, Extreme, Skyline, Top Gun, Gatsplat doesn't know about it? Sounds like a terrible insurance agent or they are acting like they didn't know to get out of trouble.

Maybe I am to much of a conspiracy theorist though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried to introduce the use of First Strikes at our local field as we have a growing mag-fed body of players there. The owner was receptive but since he didn't know much about FS in particular, he followed my lead and reached out to the manufacturer to see how eco-friendly the paint contents and the shell were. The company just sent a PR flyer that really offered no useful information. He did the next step and contacted his insurance carrier for information and his agent has yet to respond. All he has seen is Youtube videos saying that the force of impact of FS is greater than regular paint at the same airspeed. Unfortunately there isn't real and concrete information out there coming from the manufacturer or an independent third party. (and so we wait)

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
seems odd that the first strikes have never been safety tested but if that is the case I would completely understand an insurance company not wanting to insure them. There is no way they would insure a car that has never been put through some crash testing. I would be interested to find out what the testing finds, I have never been hit by one but I have heard from people that have that they hurt a lot more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts