Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*opens coffin lid and shakes the dirt out*

The bug has bitten me again time for a new paintball project.

I present my take on the "Mexican Gatling Gun"

Many OLD school players will remember seeing some ads for it in paintball magazines from the 80s. It is simply 6 10 round tubes loaded on to a turret.

Yes, To me it is a working prototype made in PLA.
Yes, a 40 round hopper is smaller but will not fit in this old marker.

If i can get some good measurements, I might make a 50 round version that would fit on a cyclone feed.:rolleyes:

EDIT:
You can learn a bit of history and where I got the idea at this Youtube video

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you have an autotrigger, that would make for some good grins.
My Tracer already has one.:ninja:

Shoot 10 rounds then switch to the next tube.:cool:

Once I get a stiffer spring that fits the in the turret hub, I will try to get a video of it in action. The spring I have now might be a bit too loose but I will have to play with it 1st.

I am thinking about making a few extra that will fit in newer feed necks that Normaly don't fit 10rnd tubes. And so I can get some feed back from other players.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Imagine if you could attach the pump handle to the hopper, that way it revolves every pump.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
I don't imagine it would be that hard to do, seems like there's enough room for it, the problem would be working out the gear ratios so that when you pumped, it would rotate only 1 tube instead of less or more. So if you needed to increase or decrease the amount of rotation, thus necessitating multiple gears, might get too big for the room at hand.

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I love it, it just looks so outlandish like it was a solution to a problem that never existed

how does it advance? do you rotate it by hand or what?
Right now by hand. The little nubs on the base and the Grooves in the turret are what keeps them alined and locked. Lift the turret abit to clear the nubs and turn. A spring pushes the turret back down and locks in in place.

I don't imagine it would be that hard to do, seems like there's enough room for it, the problem would be working out the gear ratios so that when you pumped, it would rotate only 1 tube instead of less or more. So if you needed to increase or decrease the amount of rotation, thus necessitating multiple gears, might get too big for the room at hand.
I could use a ratchet mechanism attached to the pump arm, but it would be hard to keep alined with the pump arm as the neck is what is holding it to the marker at the moment. I am sure I could make a version that replaces the paddles in a cyclone feed but that would be a 50 round setup at first.

Also the other reason it is andvanced by hand is the loader can spin between the neck and the base if forced to. I thought it would be better to spin abit then to snap off during play. I might change how easy it is for the base to spin and the neck mount in later versions.

The neck its self is printed separately so that if it does break you can pop off the old one with out too much fuss, unlike the old Eggs and Halos I have had. The base in the pict is from a bad print but shows how the neck fits in.

I might have some in grey ready to take to the field with me this weekend if the weather is good and if i have enough filament.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Any chance you will make the files available for others to use in the future?

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 14 of 14 Posts