Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 custom, but i am upgrading to a a-5. I heard that the cyclone feed used more air than normal, but i also heard that it uses the same amount. Which one of these statments is true. Someone please tell me so i can know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am by no means a veteran but from what i have read, the a5 uses excess air to operate the cyclone feed, and tippmanns in general use a lot of air. i also plan on getting the a5 so ive been reading a lot about it. hope that helps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's such a waste of money. Don't upgrade to a Cyclone Feed if you have a 98c. With 60 bucks, I can get myself a Revvy.

If you want Cyclone Feed that badly, just upgrade to an A5.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CustomProDude said:
That's such a waste of money. Don't upgrade to a Cyclone Feed if you have a 98c. With 60 bucks, I can get myself a Revvy.

If you want Cyclone Feed that badly, just upgrade to an A5.
Ok, i dont just want to get the a-5 for the cyclone feed, i also want it because it is like an upgraded 98c. The a-5 has a covered bolt system, (I was going to get the rocket cock for 98c) it also has the cyclone feed (Was going to get for 98) and the a-5 is able to be quickly field stripped. I also want the flatline but i heard it was alot better for the a-5 than the 98c. So i decided that i am just going to get the a-5, for all those reasons. How is the a5's flatline? I am getting one when i get my a5. Any suggestions on types of paint to use, and how many fps i should have it set to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huntin Dawg said:
the cyclone feed does use extra air to operate the cyclone feed. but u should just save up for a ion or sumthin instead of an a-5.
Why would i want to get something else than the a5? i like my 98c, and i like tippman and i am into woodsball, so why do you think i should get a different gun?

·
Registered
201 Posts
the cyclone feeder is totally worth the 60 bucks, dude...

·
Registered
263 Posts
JPetersen78 said:
How is the a5's flatline? I am getting one when i get my a5. Any suggestions on types of paint to use, and how many fps i should have it set to.
The flatline on an A5 is VERY easy to put on; though, you might strip some of the black paint off putting it on, it doesn't matter. It works like a dream and a half. Set your FPS to at least 270. Not above 300, though, thats common sense.

Paint, though, you should ALWAYS use premium paint whenever possible. That means, no Wal*Mart crap (Though, Scorch is really good for being a Wal*Mart brand, it flys through my Flatline like a hot knife through butter). Tippmann recommends Marbalizer.

Note that the flatline has a .695 (or something like that) bore, but that doesn't mean that you should stick huge balls of paint through it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
JPetersen78 said:
Ok, i dont just want to get the a-5 for the cyclone feed, i also want it because it is like an upgraded 98c. The a-5 has a covered bolt system, (I was going to get the rocket cock for 98c) it also has the cyclone feed (Was going to get for 98) and the a-5 is able to be quickly field stripped. I also want the flatline but i heard it was alot better for the a-5 than the 98c. So i decided that i am just going to get the a-5, for all those reasons. How is the a5's flatline? I am getting one when i get my a5. Any suggestions on types of paint to use, and how many fps i should have it set to.
Sounds like you've thought it through and that you know what you are doing. Get the A5 for the reasons you listed. As for FPS many people (including myself) have had best performance at around 280 FPS with the flatline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear that cleaning the 98 flatline is a real pain. Because after cleaning it you have to put it back in and make sure it is perfectly and straight and everything. How is cleaning the a5 flatline, do you just unscrew it and run a squeegy through it and then screw it back on? Also is there any other barrel that compares to the a5 flatline as far as distance goes?

·
Registered
263 Posts
mr_manny said:
How does the A5's closed bolt system perform/differ from open 98's?
Also, does the A5 vent into the cyclone?
Closed bolt: Prevents dirt, dust, foreign material from getting inside the gun and screwing it up.

{e} To the post above: Yes, just unscrew it, run a dry squeegee through it, then screw it back on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wouldn't "upgrade" to a A-5, in my eyes, there is no advantage to a A-5 over a 98 if both have the cyclone and you can't use your 98 barrels on your A-5. Field stripping.. Shouldn't have to field strip a well prepped gun. If you do it won't matter what gun you have it will be a PIA to not get dirt and junk back in it. To get a real upgrade in some respects get an Ion. I have an Ion and am wanting a 98 with cyclone also. Lower profile and no batteries. Had an A-5.. Kinda wondering if the 98 has nicer internals..

·
Registered
62 Posts
to paintballin34, the internals are practically the same, except the a5 has a tombstone so you can get the gaslines off much easier, so you dont have to unscrew and break seals to get the powertube off. there is a hammer, it has the exact same front bolt, its all inline like the custom, it just has an extra spring and lever up top for the closed bolt system. the a5 has its advantages, but tippmann didnt stray too far from the tried and true internal setup of the 98.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love my A5. The Flatline is easy to take off just loosen the 3 front bolts and turn it a quarter of a turn and its off. As far as I know there is no other barrell that can compare to the flatline in distance.(Correct me if im wrong) Ive just been using diablo paint that they sell at the course and have had no problems with it. Also there are tons of parts for A5's as far as stocks, barrells,E-Grip, Spring kits, bolts, and lots of other parts where as with a gun like a Ion you cant do much with it as far as cosmetics at least.

·
Registered
568 Posts
That milsim look rocks. And you can't count out that lower profile with a cyclone.. You get a stock and a low profile with some good paint, barrel and a reg.. Guy like that took me and my friend out last weekend. He's running a 98 with a cyclone, I'm running a Ion. It's mostly player but gotta admit I'm wanting to try the cyclone again.. Most people think it's a holy war on gun, lol! It's whatever makes you happy! I almost think that guns shoot to fast for woodsball..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have also heard that the cyclone feeder jams?brakes alot but this was from a major speedball player who likes to shoot extremely fast. People who have cyclone feeders, how well do they work? Are they easy to maintain, or do they have alot of problems? Also is the hose on the side of the gun (for the cyclone feeder) a problem?

·
Registered
201 Posts
my cyclone feeder doesn't jam AT ALL...i shot off at least 1500 rounds last saturday, and not one ball jammed or broke...they work extremely well, and require little maintenance. i was thinking about if the hose would be a problem too, butt it really isn't

1 - 20 of 22 Posts