Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dalai Lama was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal today (not the Medal of Honor) as shown by these headlines. Just another reason why I hate the media....MSNBC ran the live tape minutes ago, with the headline "Bush Angers China"....despite the fact that Congress is the one that hands out the award, and it requires a 2/3 vote.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QFT

**** like this pisses me off every time i see it. btw i think i finally know who i am voting for for president.

Edit: I am about 90% certain, too, that whilst watching MSN live they changed the title from "Congress angers China" to "Bush angers China"

thank god for the internet, without it there would be no truth what so ever.

And as a sidenote, I love the ads to the right, you can get "Dalai Lama Ringtones," yahoo shopping has a "Huge selection of Dalai Lama items.", and "Tickets Dalai Lama Live". I've always wanted to see the Dalai Lama Live, I've heard that the special effects are awesome.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
hells no

I'm voting for Stephen Colbert.

ads to the right of your screen...under the whole user cp panel>>>>>
I'm watching the colbert report right now. He's talking about the impact of his canidacy in the past 3 minutes. He's going to run as a republican and democrat apparently.

edit- Why would the Dalai Lama getting a medal anger China? Could it be that Bush had some outspoken opposition to giving him the medal, and that was what angered China?

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Could it be that Tibet is about 1/5th of China's total land area that was stolen during the "Cultural revolution"? Could it be that China fears a strong Tibetan presence with the USA? Could it be that the Dali Lama is as much a political leader as a spiritual one who commands respect and the minds of hundreds of thousands of people? Could it be that the Chinese are just frikken paranoid about anyone that doesn't conform to their communist utopia?

As far as the Chinese are concerned Tibet does not exist. Tibet is part of China. So when the US pays political attention to Tibet, they feel that we are dissing China as a whole... sort of the balancing act that we have with Taiwan.

Frankly, IMO the Chinese do not dictate policy to the USA, so they should just get over it and move on. Giving the Lama the CONGRESSIONAL gold medal (note: not the BUSH Gold medal) does not change this countries dependence on Chinese trade goods. They only make themselves look stupid by objecting. If they just shut up about it and made no hubub, the fickle world public will have forgotten the whole thing in 72 hours anyway.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
hells no

I'm voting for Stephen Colbert.

ads to the right of your screen...under the whole user cp panel>>>>>
I must have adblocked whatever service is providing that image, because I don't see anything. I see the ringtones though.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Could it be that Tibet is about 1/5th of China's total land area that was stolen during the "Cultural revolution"? Could it be that China fears a strong Tibetan presence with the USA? Could it be that the Dali Lama is as much a political leader as a spiritual one who commands respect and the minds of hundreds of thousands of people? Could it be that the Chinese are just frikken paranoid about anyone that doesn't conform to their communist utopia?
I knew about Tibet. Just not that China was still on such bad terms with them (considering they are now the same country).

I was just offering a logical reason for why they might have said Bush instead of congress. Speculation. I was hoping that maybe the media didn't **** up on this one and that it just got misconstrued. But I guess I put my hopes too high.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

As far as the Chinese are concerned Tibet does not exist. Tibet is part of China. So when the US pays political attention to Tibet, they feel that we are dissing China as a whole... sort of the balancing act that we have with Taiwan.

Frankly, IMO the Chinese do not dictate policy to the USA, so they should just get over it and move on. Giving the Lama the CONGRESSIONAL gold medal (note: not the BUSH Gold medal) does not change this countries dependence on Chinese trade goods. They only make themselves look stupid by objecting. If they just shut up about it and made no hubub, the fickle world public will have forgotten the whole thing in 72 hours anyway.

Reminds me of "The Bear and the Dragon", by Tom Clancy. Hits the nail on the head about the whole China dictating to the U.S.

On a side note, Vladimir Putin supposedly "very strongly discouraged" a U.S. military attack on Iran. I didn't hear too much about this, but apparently the media is trying to create another Red Scare.... they said that relations between the U.S. and Russia are quickly "becoming chilled" (Cold War reference, anyone?)

god I hate the mass media. the problem isn't with Putin or Russia, it's with Iran, damnit.

AFP: Iran brushes off Bush 'World War III' warning

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Well there is a Putin problem. It's not a red scare, because Russia is never going to be communist ever again, but many would argue that Russia is not heading in the right direction.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree with you somewhat. there is a problem with Putin if he is defending the Iranian PM (I didn't know he met with him, or that there was an assassination attempt on Putin's life) but the media is trying to play off the Cold War fear that we all still have. Just like the Jena 6- I don't know too much about the situation (nor do i care, to be quite honest) but I do know that the media is being biased by calling it the Jena 6. They are trying to associate it with the Little Rock 9. It gives the masses an unfair and uneducated view of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts