Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, right now I'm in the Boy Scouts (yeah, I know). I've been in the Scouts for about 5 years (a really long ass time). When I started I was 12 years old, and I enjoyed it. Camping and the outdoors were all new to me and it was fun. I went through my ranks fairly quickly and I became a Life scout in about 3-3.5 years. About that time my Scoutmaster was called to Iraq. The troop fell apart after that. After we quit the troop we took a break from scouts and rejoined a new troop about a year later. The troop was full of new kids and I initially thought that I could help these kids like my old troop helped me. Well, not so much. The kids have no sense of discipline or respect. Every one of them has an attitude. Well, I've been there for almost a year now and I'm sick of it. The only problem (well one of them) is that I'm almost 18. My birthday is on October 26 of this year. I've just recently (January of this year) started to "finish up" my Eagle rank. I've got all my merit badges and everything done EXCEPT for the Eagle Project (the biggest thing you will do in scouts). I'm filling out the project booklet now and I've realized that I need some signatures for it to be approved to be done. Thing is...I'm not sure if I can get the signatures in time for me to do the project. This may be a problem. My mom REALLY wants me to get Eagle and has been riding my ass about it almost constantly since my 17th birthday. I don't want to dissapoint her, but if I can't get the project done, then i can't get it done. There's no way around it and I won't get eagle. I'd love to get the Eagle rank and be able to put that on college applications and job resumes. Thing is...I'm sick of scouts. I don't enjoy the meetings, I don't have fun on campouts anymore and it's all just lost it's appeal to me. I really want to just say "**** scouts, **** eagle" and move on. Thing is (and I've said it before), I really don't want to dissapoint my mom. I'd feel bad because I know how much she'd want to see me get eagle. I'd almost feel like I'd wasted 7 years of my life on Scouts. I've learned a bit from them, but I only really enjoyed about 2-3 years of it. The rest was just kinda like "ugh, Scouts again". My brother quit about 6 months ago and never looked back on it (he hated it from the beginning). I'm just having that feeling of "dammit all" right now. I know I wasted sooo much time before really getting into it and it's constantly on my mind. I can't even go to sleep at night without thinking about it more than once. So, I've come to a conclusion on what I'm going to do. I'm gonna try my damndest to get eagle, but if I can't do it, it's my own fault and no other. I'll feel like **** because I dissappointed my mom, but more that I'd just failed to do something that is extremely highly looked upon. If I don't get it, I don't get it and I'll move on. Wheter I get it or not, I'm gonna be successful. I WILL go to college and WILL get a good job. I just wanted to be able to put "EAGLE RANK" on my resume.

Thank you for reading this ungodly long post. Feel free to comment, flame, or otherwise insult me. Thanks...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
big_balla89 said:
Think of how much money your mom has put into it.

Suck it up and and do your project.
Money? I don't give a flying **** about money. Money can always be reearned or given back. I don't want her to feel like **** if I don't do this. I'm gonna do the project, but if I can't do it then there's no way around it.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
cub scouts was cool, boyscouts sucked so I quit after the first meeting.

but i'd say just get the whole eagle thing over with so that way it hasn't been a complete waste. sure it sucks, but there's not much left. tough it out. you may be glad you did in a few years to come.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Holy crap you and I are the same age and have the same birthday. I'm also October 26. Were you bourn in Florida?

BTW-About the Boy Scouts thing. I wouldent sweat it too much, do what you feel like. If your worried about the Eagle rank on a resume, most people probably dont even know what an Eagle scout is. It would looks better to say "I have X amount of years experience in the Boy Scouts"

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Well...not really. Most employers look at an Eagle Scout like "Wow, when he dedicates himself to something, he follows it to the end." or something like that. Supposedly, it helps in getting a job. I don't really know if it will or not, but that's what I'm told.

On another note, that's wierd about the b-days. Kinda cool. And no, I wasn't born in Florida; I was born in New Jersey.

·
Registered
205 Posts
well umm your mom gave birth to you soooo respect her wishes and you can get like a full ride to college for that or somethin like that

·
PBaholic #14
1,553 Posts
A kid in my school got his "eagle" badge or whatever it's called :? and he ended up building a volleyball court for the town... or something...

Ohh and if i owned a business and some guy put on his application that he was an "eagle scout" id kind of just take it as "wtf is that" It odviously had a lot of importance to that person if they put it on a job application but still...

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am in boy scouts as well. Ive been in my troop since 2001. I had the same problem with my kids (Im Senior Patrol Leader) The key is to be calm. They will mature and get better. I put the bad ones as patrol leaders, and they got 10x better. They need responsibility.

As for your eagle project, good luck. I hope you can get it done. Also good luck on your eagle ceronomy (if you have one). You are so close to getting it. You cant let all of it go to waste. Everyone in my troop that didnt get eagle regrets it a lot. Just work through it.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
What's your project? You also need to get it sent in, and take your board of review.

You could do it if you put some real effort into it.

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
there is a way to extend your time a bit. talk to the council. i know that my one friend was actually 18 when he got his though

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Definately DON'T give up on the project. Aside from it being a good thing to do, you'll earn a lot of respect as an eagle scout. I was never in the scouts, but I have friends who are. I know how much time and work it takes, and so do millions of other people.

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
you barely have to be apart of scouts to get an eagle scout. believe me, there was a kid "in my troop" who got eagle scout and we saw him at maybe one meeting a year during his whole time in scouts. get that project done ASAP and get the eagle. Its worth it. Im not exaggerating when i say it has gotten me jobs, into colleges, and even out of a speeding ticket, lol. if you can get it, its worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts