Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what is your opinion. In my english class the other day we all had a heated argument so our teacher is making us write a persuavsive essay on the topic. So here I am trying to get more imput. Please try and keep it mature.

/debate

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
this is such a touchy topic.. er

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Death penalty should be allowed for anyone who commits an act of murder knowing full well what they've done. You've cut someone elses life short - you don't deserve one of your own.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
If you can try a minor as an adult you should sure as hell be able to punish them as an adult. Whether or not the death penalty itself is right another debate entirely.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
i also dont think being on drugs or alcohol gives you immunity from any punishments that a sober person would be subject to.

there are consequences for your actions, and just czu you are under 18, if you kill someone, you should suffer the exact same consequences as someone over 18.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pr0ph3t said:
Death penalty should be allowed for anyone who commits an act of murder knowing full well what they've done. You've cut someone elses life short - you don't deserve one of your own.
but what do you consider "knowing full well what you have done." Im not disagreeing with you I just am asking you to clarify.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I say that its wrong for underage people to get the death penalty. The thing is, you cant determine when someone has passed the age of knowing right from wrong. It is different for everyone. And a definition of what a minor is would be good, are they talking about 0-18 or 10-18. I know people that are 16 that dont know the diff between right and wrong. Thats why this world is so screwed up, nobody is teaching the minors the diff between r and w. So why should the be held accountable? Its been slowly getting worse and worse since i can remember, even tho i am only 17 when i was in grade school, if someone cursed they was in DEEP trouble. Now a days its normal to hear little kids cussing each other out. And for the love of good, there is elementary kids that know more about sex than highschoolers do. So in my opinion we need to worry about older people, and hopefully it will be a positive influence on our children.

tl:dr- Cant determine age of accountability. fix the parents/atmosphere kids live in, it might fix their lives.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Ninja7 said:
but what do you consider "knowing full well what you have done." Im not disagreeing with you I just am asking you to clarify.
Making a conscientious (holy ****, sp) decision to do it. If you point a gun at someone and shoot them, you knew full well what you were doing. If you hack someone apart with an axe, you knew full well what you were doing. And I do not believe that drugs or alcohol make you immune to this. If you make the decision to take someone's life, KNOWING you're going to kill them, accept the god damn consequences.

I think (in my opinion) the only time you are not knowing you've murdered someone, or not made the decision to do it, is if you're mentally retarded or have other mental conditions.

D

·
0 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:

yeah, just like thier family deserves to go through the same hell that the other family has right? no its not just.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
D_Smalls said:
yeah, just like thier family deserves to go through the same hell that the other family has right? no its not just.
Yes, yes it is. That person took another innocent person's life. They do not deserve to live a life of their own. Even life is prison is living, I don't caer what anyone else says. You still have a life to live...that innocent person you murdered does not. You cut their life short, your life deserves to be cut short.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I agree with toxic, the parents are at fault to an extent, you need to draw a line there too.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
D_Smalls said:

woops, maybe we should just let the kid go to a few counselling sessions and he'll be fine....while the other person is dead, for no reason other than the guilty wanted to kill him.

great justice.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
Yes, yes it is. That person took another innocent person's life. They do not deserve to live a life of their own. Even life is prison is living, I don't caer what anyone else says. You still have a life to live...that innocent person you murdered does not. You cut their life short, your life deserves to be cut short.
Forgiveness is a virtue.

D

·
0 Posts
yes, but if you kill a murderer.. you arent punishing him.. your punishing his loved ones that are left behind..

and i dont know about you but i dont think knowing that the murderer is dead would help me in any way if a loved one died.. sure itd feel ****ing good knowing that hes dead.. but still doesnt bring back your loved one.. and 10 years later when the revenge factor is gone.. doesnt help one bit

D

·
0 Posts
dhill0413 said:
woops, maybe we should just let the kid go to a few counselling sessions and he'll be fine....while the other person is dead, for no reason other than the guilty wanted to kill him.

great justice.
Where did I say that they should let them free? All I said was that the death penality wasnt the answer.. i never said that they shouldnt be incarcerated.. never suggested another means of punishment.. all I siad was that the death penalty wasnt the answer..

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
but leaving him/her/it alive can also spur more problems.

·
Captain of Team Impact
639 Posts
well heres my 2 cents...
it is scientifically proven that teenage minds are still developing. The part of the brain that controls reasoning and judgement and decision making isnt fully developed yet during the teen years. There are even some studies that say that this development isnt fully completed until the age of 25.

As teenagers, we think with a different part of the mind than adults do. We think depending on our emotions or to achieve certain feelings. As teenagers, we dont tend to think about the reprucussions of our actions. This explains why we are more likely to try/use drugs or be involved in serious accidents.

So my answer is no, minors should not recieve the death penalty simply because our brains are not functioning on the same level as adults. Even when we turn 18 they might not be functioning as well as an adults. We are not reasoning what long term consequences may come from our actions, we are relying on our feelings at the moment.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
not if theyre in prison

1 - 20 of 95 Posts