Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored, and i decided to do a little work on my Mauser, since i've been wanting to restore it all the way. Well, i ran out of sand paper, and i was impatient so this was the result. I still need to pick up more and do a second coat, but it doesn't look too bad.

It was the one on the far left in this picture before.

Next is the Enfield, then the SKS. If this job works out, i can afford A LOT more toys, lol.

- Brian

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really, just the last pic is probably the best one i have. You can see that dull dark color to it.

Pretty much all the turk Mausers look like crap, you've gotta do something with them to make them look respectable. Also they're not very good rifles. It's non uncommon for none of the serials to match. These things were taken off dead guys, and refurbished. Then they slapped the turk crest on it and called it their own. Mine is a 1942 referb. These things were designed in 1898, so who really knows when it was made, or by who.

- Brian

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup!

.303 is a little $$ so i haven't put any through the Enfield yet. Still waiting on Wolf to come out with it, so it'll be closer to my price, lol. Either that, or i might take up hand loading.

The Mauser isn't the best when it comes to accuracy. The SKS is surprisingly very accurate, for open sights that is. The M38 is a kick in the balls cause it's light weight, but shoots a big ass round. (Those russians really like being hard on their men) Shooting is a fun thing to do when you can't get anyone to ball. It's not that expensive, and it's interesting to watch yourself improve everytime.

- Brian

·
Well hell yeah it's Tomba
3,503 Posts
Headley said:
Yup!

.303 is a little $$ so i haven't put any through the Enfield yet. Still waiting on Wolf to come out with it, so it'll be closer to my price, lol. Either that, or i might take up hand loading.

The Mauser isn't the best when it comes to accuracy. The SKS is surprisingly very accurate, for open sights that is. The M38 is a kick in the balls cause it's light weight, but shoots a big ass round. (Those russians really like being hard on their men) Shooting is a fun thing to do when you can't get anyone to ball. It's not that expensive, and it's interesting to watch yourself improve everytime.

- Brian
yea, wold amuo isn't that bad is it. I shot it was somewhat decent, i know they made shotgun shells and they were a little...not good. Yea the russians are idiots, but i guess if your getting shot at the last thing u care about is the recoil of the gun. I shoot trap 24/7 so unfortunelty sometimes it gets in the way of pb.

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not that they're idiots, not at all. The M38 is the perfect size for the average person, and it packs one hell of a punch. I love the russian small arms of WWII. So simple, yet so perfect.

Wolf ammo is kinda hit or miss from my experiences. It's decent if you just care about plinking. The 8mm i have right now is yugo. I got a crate of 1000 rounds for $55 at the last gun show. It's actually pretty decent.

- Brian

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right now, no. Like i said though, if this job works out, then yes i will! lol. My uncle's friend can hook me up with anything i want for dirt cheap. So i figured i'd pick up a few pistols to extend the collection.

- Brian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wolf ammo is great, if you're shooting in something that doesn't have tight tolerances or rapid fire.

As for WW2 pistols. You need to buy a Singer 1911a1. Must have for any collection. :)

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
federal makes a soft tip hunting round for that rifle, i bought a box to try out....anyways, whats the difference between parkerizing and bluing? Im gonna refinish the metal on my turk and i dont know what to do because i dont know the difference...

·
Registered
778 Posts
crustybug said:
federal makes a soft tip hunting round for that rifle, i bought a box to try out....anyways, whats the difference between parkerizing and bluing? Im gonna refinish the metal on my turk and i dont know what to do because i dont know the difference...
Basically they are both finishes to prevent rust and other damage to the metal. Most military guns will use a form of parkerising, but bluing was also done.

If you want something shiny that will have a nice polished look to it. You should blue it.

Parkerising is usually greenish, grey, or black in color depending on the process. It gives no shine.

I like parkerising myself simply because I find it more durable and a lot less high maintenance.

·
12,110 Posts
Oven cleaner does wonders for cleaning up stocks.. I use it on garands.. I'd reccomend not sanding finish off them... Just use some high grit for the finish coat (after you've used the oven cleaner to remove everything)...

·
Registered
778 Posts
crustybug said:
how do you put on bluing and/or parkerizing?
I'm not sure to be exact. To much work that I wanted to get involved with.

It's a chemical process that I'm sure requires bead blasting, high temperatures, and then whatever special dipping/applying techniques there are.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Headley said:
These things were designed in 1898, so who really knows when it was made, or by who.
actually, they were made in 1893, and then started to be refurbed in 1938. the model 1938 is the same rifle with slight modifications, such as caliber and i think safety lever. The model 1938 really isnt a model, its a refurb standard. The manufacturer is not really a manufacturer, but made in plants, such as ankara and kiri kale. If you can get a k kale, thats gonna be a nice rifle. And, contrary to popular opinion, they are really nice if you do them up right. Ill post pics when mines done.

oh btw, i got that hunk of grease out of my turks bore, shiny as a mirror. To tell you the truth, this barrel looks like its never had a shot down it, its just so pretty..... =( :D

check out the surplusrifle forums at: www.surplusrifle.com

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My fault, i got my dates mixed up, lol, turks are like the bastard children in firearms. God knows where the hell they came from, but they sure are cheap as hell!

Yes!!! i love that spring back on the Enfield bolt, so friggen cool. It looks like it's a fun rifle, i've yet to take mine out though :'( How's yours?

- Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts