Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone trying to shed those unneeded pounds like I am? I figure theres gotta be a few others like me. Thus we could have a place to talk and discuss about our losses and what we've been doing, seems like a good idea at 12:30am as I avoid my Chem Lab Writeup. We can get advice and such for weight loss, anyways, enough small talk.

Stats:
10/23/07
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 205lbs
Wanted Weight: 170-180lbs
Supplements: none yet, plan to get some Fish Oil caps, a good Multi-vitamin, something like Ultra Mega Green or the like, and Whey Protein, and ZMA of some sort once I do some more research.

I really just started today, keeping a log of the foods I eat and such, and actually getting serious about a diet change (and thus I'm still figuring things out).

But my food consumption today has been:
Breakfast:
1 Cup of Old Fashioned Oats
1.5 Tbsps of Honey
1 Can of Tuna

Lunch:
2 Turkey burger Patties
1 serving of broccoli
1 serving of Cauliflower
1 serving of green beans
2 slices of toast

Dinner:
A sandwich with fat free sliced turkey breast. (I had a late lunch)

While it's certainly healthier than I usually eat, I'm fairly sure I'm not consuming enough of most things (not on purpose), I'm going to add some more fish and chicken as snacks in between meals, and instead of tuna, making an omelette with 1 egg, and some egg whites (My family has a history of high blood pressure, so I can't eat too much egg) and spinach. And this weekend I'll be making some protein bars as snacks or what not.

As for exercise, I'm doing MMA and JiuJitsu for 3 hours, 3 times a week, and will be adding some running and other cardio, and some weight training on my off days.

·
Banned
551 Posts
So far everything sounds about good and will yield some quick results. Some things I might add is fruit, I didn't see that you ate any and its important, and make sure you always remember eat/drink some sort of dairy product in the morning. Dairy really boosts your metabolism.

If you really want to lose weight quicker, do about 20 mins of high rep-low weight aerobic weight training before you go running. If you don't have weights you can just do pushups/crunches/pullups/etc. to get your heart going. This depletes your system of all of the glycogen you were storing and when you go out to cardio you'll be burning pure fat.

Regarding the supplements, I'd lay off of them for a while. Just try to get in the groove of your new lifestyle. Most of them aren't needed anyway. Only take a multi-vitamin if you plan to keep taking it in the long run. The whey is good, but don't go overboard.

Smoothies should be your friend for the first couple weeks. You can put almost anything you want in them from the whey, to fresh fruits, to oats. Smoothies that you can make in less than two minutes is a perfect fill in for a meal. They're great if you're running out of time or are just plain lazy, and they taste great too if you make them right.

Don't forget to stay hydrated, drink way more than enough water. You can never drink too much. And don't overwork yourself, listen to your body, and good luck. :tup

EDIT: You can contact me for any questions regarding this topic if you have specific questions. I feel I can answer then appropriately.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, the supplements were more for general health (A good Multi, Whey, and fish oil caps,), and the ZMA if it helped recovery from MMA training, but I was planning on holding off on that for a while.

Today:

i had 2 Eggs and 2 egg white omelette with a cup of frozen spinach, and 3 pieces of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of honey at 9 with a glass of milk.

At 12 I had a simple shake with 1/2 a cup of oats, a cup of strawberries, and skim milk.

Lunch is 2 Tilapia Filets, a cup of broccoli, green beans and cauliflower(Only vegetables I have at the house right now haha), and some kind of Carb, depends on what I can make.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make shakes (seems like a good way to get fruit into my diet), The one I made today though was gross, the oats were chunky (guess I didn't blend it well enough), and it wasn't sweet either, just really bland. I'll add bananas or maybe a touch of honey to sweeten things up. I've been reading around and I'm slowly learning on what to tweak in my diet. Whats the scoop on honey? I'm using raw unprocessed "Wild Mountain" brand honey, I'm sure it's better than white sugar, but does it have anything good in it?

Also, what are some good carbohydrates to have with meals? I'm guessing whole grain bread, brown rice?

·
Banned
551 Posts
Yeah oat shakes are hard to get down. And I'm not sure about the honey, my brother is way into some special kind of honey which is supposed to be the best for you, but I just stay away from it all together. Try also to throw a little more fruit in there, like toss a banana or apple in as a snack or with a meal. I like to have people snack because it keeps their metabolism up during the day.

Good carbs that you're looking for are mainly just "whole wheat" breads, pastas, and so forth. Don't be fooled by just plain old "wheat" products like "wheat bread" and "wheat bagels". Thats a trick producers use..their products aren't whole wheat, just a little bit of wheat and a ton of other stuff. My favorite is definately whole wheat spaghetti. :tup

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to hit up the supermarket tomorrow :tup all I got at the house right now is regular bleached white flour pasta. I assume Brown Rice is good, no? But so far, I've already been feeling way beter just from adding in more nutrients in my foods, and eating more often, rather than just eat 2 or 3 big meals.

Also I have dinner at around 6-7, what should I eat (If anything) to hold me off until I go to bed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts