·
Registered
1,307 Posts
safe safe safe safe, they'll come down safe
edit: dont want to jinx it

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
near the front landing gear = not safe they better be able to fix it... thats one of the most stressed spots during reentry if i remember my space shuttles correctly

iono why this is all of a sudden causing such problems, insulation foam ALWAYS hits the underbelly of the shuttle during take off. all of the hundreds of launches they have done, foam comes off the big tank thing, and now its breaking off ceramic tiles and such? kinda weird... but they also said a hairline crack can make the whole thing explode. i wanted to be an astronaut when i was 8, but all this stuff makes you wonder...

·
Registered
51 Posts
NASA needs to lose the shuttle program. It's been in service for nearly 25 years and its flaws are starting to show. It just isn't worth the outrageous costs if problems like this continue to occur.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is just a small chip. All space shuttles that have gone up have been slightly damaged, and Discovery sustained less damage during launch than the average shuttle, but after columbia, NASA is being extra careful.

If i were in control of nasa, I would get all the parts necessary to build a space shuttle. Stuff em all in a bunch of MPLMs and attach em to teh ISS for repairs

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sabowling said:
NASA needs to lose the shuttle program. It's been in service for nearly 25 years and its flaws are starting to show. It just isn't worth the outrageous costs if problems like this continue to occur.
I would like to see the shuttle program continue after the ISS is complete. The CEV nasa is working on won't be able to haul sattelites and more starwarses up into LEO. The only reason everything is ****ing up is because teh shuttles are so old. They need to gut the existing shuttles, and put new systems in.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
We don't need to end the program, we just need to get an updated/new shuttle. Really, I mean think about a car from the 70s. It's going to have problems, things are going to break. We need to either restore this one, or just build a new one.

-Jin

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i wonder what they are really doing up there anyways... its usually deploying or repairing some satellite, or watching ants grow or something, but after 25 years is there really anything left to be done in earth's orbit? i say they fly to mars. theyre just muppets, we can replace them :rolleyes:

^ if you took that seriously you sux at life

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
NASA is a waste of taxpayer money.
I really don't see how people can say/think that. It's really short-sighted of people to believe that NASA is a waste. I mean, they have made so much progress it's crazy. Sure, I'd like to see more private companies pursuing space travel, but without NASA it'd be impossible for them to achieve what they do.

Just wait until the earth is too crowded and we have to start moving people to the moon and other space stations. We'll see if NASA is a waste then.

-Jin

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
wait untill earth is too crwoded and go live in a space station? i could, but before it happens i'll be dead :dodgy:

im not arguing with you though, one day the earth will be so crowded people wont be able to stand it anymore, and go into space. probablly not in this generation, but soon for sure.

·
12,110 Posts
Yep..

THey have a tile thing they call "goop". Its like high strength epoxy that they just slap on and make it smooth and it dries. If its that bad of a problem, they WILL fix it.

I say they make a new shuttle. And design an electromagnetic launch pad (like a rail gun) with its own power plant so it costs WAY less to launch.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Alpha said:
I say they make a new shuttle. And design an electromagnetic launch pad (like a rail gun) with its own power plant so it costs WAY less to launch.
i thought thats what they were going to do? a design like that could launch a small craft (smaller than the space shuttle) at over the speed of sound easily, it depends on how much energy they pump into the electromagnets. it would be much more effective... you know that big orange tank on the space shuttle? its full of liquid hydrogen and liquid hydrogen. when they mix it creates an incredible amount of energy, and its a clean fuel source too because the only thing that comes out of it is water vapor, and heat.

but freezing hydrogen and oxygen probablly takes as much energy as it puts out, maybe more. not to mention its incredibly unstable (thats why the challenger exploded, one of the o-rings that keep them from mixing was faulty. at least i think thats what happened...) i like the electromagnetic rail idea better.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Before y;all start talking about buying new orbiters $2,000,000,000.00 each (well that was the cost to build the Endeavor several years ago, now with inflation as well as if they decide to upgrade aspects of the orbiter, then the costs will be higher.), now seeing as the need more than 1. Two questions come to mind:
1) We are already in tight economic times, how would you expect to pay for these new orbiters?

2) NASA is already at the limits for the budget and with the cost of building a new fleet plus that fact that each mission costs at minimum $450,000,000, how do you think the space program could go on and build the new fleet, without crippling the nation?

·
12,110 Posts
Like I said, we have the tech for rail guns. The promise of electromagnetic launches are.. phenominal.

It would take a ****load of energy to generate the pulses needed to propel a shuttle that far that fast, but its damn well possible, and much MUCH cheaper then strapping bombs to the shuttle and literally blowign it off the face of the planet (becuase thats basicly what we do now)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts