Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Do you wear a watch?

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Only for special occasions (i.e. getting dressed up).

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at watches in a local jewlery store the other day and it got me thinking about how, eventually, few people will wear a watch due to cell phones. Therefore, my grandkids or great grandkids might not even know what a watch is. Kinda sad when you think about it, watches are pretty awesome pieces of technology. The complexity of some automatic movements is amazing. What's your opinion? Will watches cease to exist, except in the hands of collectors? Will watch companies die out?

By the way, this is the watch that I'm thinking of buying:

I love the design. Simple on the outside, yet offers a peek into the complex mechanical movement inside. It's a true automatic too, so it never needs a battery. It winds itself as you wear it.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I wear everyday (only one of the knives though, depending on what I'm doing):

The watch is a Tissot T-touch titanium, it has some awesome functions.

A close up of a similar one:

D

·
0 Posts
I have a pocket watch. haven't worn a wrist watch since elementary school.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i had a nice watch that i broke then had 3 crap pocket watches that didn't last more then a year each and now if i get a new watch it is going to be a good pocket watch

·
kills jihad on contact
352 Posts
i dont wear em they are a pain especialy when you are out hunting they restrict my arm during bow season and make my wrist unmoveable during rifle season

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
i dont wear em they are a pain especialy when you are out hunting they restrict my arm during bow season and make my wrist unmoveable during rifle season
I'm quite sure the majority of hunters don't wear watches when they hunt.

The watch has become more of a piece of jewelery or accessory as opposed to a tool for telling time. They're obsolete because of phones, and generally not very attractive unless they're made out of gold or silver.

I'm not even sure what type of outfit a gold or silver watch would accompany well. Maybe a suit and tie? A tuxedo?

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think a cell phone totally negates a watch, at least not until cell phones get better. A cell phone battery lasts, what, a week at most if left on? My grandfather's Benrus is from 1964 and still keeps time as long as you wind it. An automatic will do the same as long as wear it. No batteries to worry about. Even the ones with batteries often last over 5 years. Also, because it's strapped to your wrist, a watch is tough to loose, compared to a phone in your pocket. Good watches are also harder to break than cell phones in my experience. Finally, most phones don't handle water well, while many watches are water resistant to extreme depths.

Sure, eventually cell phones might make up for those short-comings completely, but right now a watch does offer some advantages to a phone in certain situations. Though, I do agree that watches nowadays tend to be worn more as jewelry accessories, than as a useful tool. Then again, watches were always part jewelry. Movado came out with their near impossible to read "single dot at 12 o' clock" watch design back in the 40's. It's tough to look at that design and say it's a really useful time keeping tool.

By the way, if you don't know what a Movado is, the top of the page seems to have one perpetually in the advertisement bar, when looking at this thread.:rolleyes:

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
I wear a 3 dial Fossil Blue watch.

I wear it constantly because I need it at work as an EMT for times on run reports and the seconds hand for vitals.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts