Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Donations for a TV for a kid with Muscular Dystrophy

In my 3.5 years at NASIOC OT, I've never seen it come together like this for any single cause. Thought I'd just spread the word.

Personally, I strongly encourage cross-posting in other forums. :tup

EXPERTS
Name: Matt. He was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy at a young age and never fully developed.

The ONLY thing that keeps him occupied as he can hear and see... is Television.... He watches TV throughout the day on his 1991 17" television... He's in a real crappy position, and I wanna help out, even though its not much, it's his world.

Single mother, 5 kids, 1 of them disabled, yeah... you get the picture.
See Tread Here

when making donations.... indicate you're coming from PBF.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
I don't want to seem insensitive here, but what proof does one have that this is a legitimate fundraiser? I see no affiliation with any organization such as a bank, or even an MD non-profit foundation. I only see "send me the money and I will make sure it gets to him." Well, confidence artists can play your sympathy like a violin and squeeze every last dime out of you.

This may be legitimate, but be wary of those who would turn your sensitivities against you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Medic, I see where you're coming from and I understand your concerns.

Truth is, we don't. But the guy collecting the money, brucelee, can almost be considered to be "imbedded" in NASIOC OT; practically living on that forum. Further a bunch of people out in the Bay Area (CA) know him personally and he has never done anything to hint that his character is dodgy. Yes, he’s a little bit crazy, has an unhealthy passion for firearms, and will likely get himself into some trouble with attitude, but he really is a good person.

And true, this fund-raiser is not done through any organization. Rather, brucie came upon this idea that this kid needs a new TV, sadly because it is what his life revolves around, and is asking for help from OT. One thing lead to another and the word is spreading to other forums as well.

So in short… No, there is no way to say for certain that this event is legit and that your money will be used towards a gift for Matt. I’m struggling financially myself, but I chipped in $10 cos I believe brucelee, and in the good and compassion of humanity.

Cheers.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not to knock anyone, but i have more faith in Matt getting this TV than any of the survivors of the tsunami seeing any of the money i sent through the red cross. between all the layers of bureacracy, i'd be surprised if the regualr fisherman on the Sri Lankan coast (who lost EVRYTHING, including his family, and is alive only cos he was at sea) has seen any real aid yet.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
1700 dollars?!? wtf kind of tv are they getting?! it had better be the kind where you can feel the boobs when you watch playboy for that much $

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, since we have enough money for the TV and the Laptop already (Well, close to if not) I say we get him the main things... and if donations keep coming. we'll buy him DVDs as he loves them and tries to collect... His collection of DVDs is like 35DVDs all together. I figure OT can easily buy his fav shows on DVD (like the osbornes) and some movies he's been wanting to see... Also, get some money to the mom as she's in a ****ty situation as well.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
We got him a westinghouse 32" LCD TV from Best Buy... A bunch of Otters said this was a good TV to go with so we did. We got him a 4 year service plan for the TV which was like $130

We also got him a Toshiba Laptop valued at $999, that we got for $779... But we bought a 2 year service package for it, so if anything goes wrong it will be covered. The service plan was like $150 or something (can't remember).

We also got him a year of cable internet, as well as getting the entire house hooked up for cable instead of just Matt's room, so now the other kids get to enjoy cable too. My sister is hooking Matt up with a wireless router for his internet cable so that the other kids can use his old laptop with the new internet.

And last but not least, we going to buy Matt every DVD that he wants with the budget of around $200-250ish.

Oh, I almost forgot... Any left over money we're going to try to get Barbara something nice (the Mom) since she doesn't have much and she's the most selfless person I know. She deserves it.
Not bad in 2 or 3 days spreading by word of mouth over the internet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts