Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. any one on this forum play the drums? i've been taking lessons for about a year and i finally saved up the money to buy me a pretty nice set. it took me a while because i'm only 13. heres what i got:

-a satin red DW Pacific 5 piece FS series drum set.
-double braced PAcific hardware. and i upgraded the bas pedal but i foret what the exact name of it is. IT's made by pearl.
-Sabian XS20 cymbols. I got the 14 inch hi hats,18 inch thin ride, 16 inch thin crash, and a 14 inch crash.
-and to top it off, some pro mark sticks.

Total cost me a little under $1,200. so yeah, it took me a whie to save up.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
I've got an authentic 1975 set of Ludwig Vistalites. As far as cymbals go, I have a Sabian 6" splash and 21" dry ride, Zildjian 18" dark crash, 15" crash, and 14" hi hats, all with Tama hardware.

·
pink floyd>you
2,084 Posts
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
I've got an authentic 1975 set of Ludwig Vistalites. As far as cymbals go, I have a Sabian 6" splash and 21" dry ride, Zildjian 18" dark crash, 15" crash, and 14" hi hats, all with Tama hardware.
*jealous*. Mine are 1978 Ludwigs but not vistalites..stil kick though. I use all Paiste Signature cymbals. Somebody told me yesterday my drums sucked because they were old...I chuckled to myself.

I never noticed that the cat was in a bass drum, but I just got it haha.

Anyways...I wouldn't have chosen Pacific. They are the worst drums I've played really. I would have chosen a set of Pearl Exports for a bit cheaper. But that's just my opinion.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
jacobeid said:
*jealous*. Mine are 1978 Ludwigs but not vistalites..stil kick though. I use all Paiste Signature cymbals. Somebody told me yesterday my drums sucked because they were old...I chuckled to myself.
I can't stand it when people think that newer = better.

I wish I still had pics of my 1968 Gretsch's. Those things were so badass, but I traded them for the Vistalites, because I like the deep, rich sound that they give off better than the light, crisp sound that the Gretsch's made.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've got a 30 something year old Pearl set.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
I can't stand it when people think that newer = better.

I wish I still had pics of my 1968 Gretsch's. Those things were so badass, but I traded them for the Vistalites, because I like the deep, rich sound that they give off better than the light, crisp sound that the Gretsch's made.
yeah gratch's are sweet. i love them. that is what i was playing on before i got my own set.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have a gretsch blackhawk set that I got for christmas a couple years ago. I had never heard of it before I got it but I like it a lot. I just have sabian b8's for cymbals right now but hopefully will buy new ones next year.

At my church we have a Pearl session set with zildjian a-series cymbals. I play this one on sundays sometimes....its pretty nice :D

I have been playing off and on for 3 years now. First time I really played a set was for jazz band at school...and I actually made it. I am not outrageously good at it but I can defiantely hold my own.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
oh yes, those b8s suck compared to some nice zildjians or sabians.

I've played for 8 years. Started on snare for a year and then proceded to learn kit. Now we just focus on learning various beats, and improving speed and control.

I own.....5 piece 5 ply maple yamaha stage custom (in natural color)
have a 14" zildjian el sabador high-hats ($300s worth, got them for $170?)
20" zidjian K ride
16" sabian b8pro crash
18" zildjian ZXTi (titanium) midium crash
18" zildjian ZXT china
8" zildjian ZXT flash splash

nice cymbals rock. and i suggest u save up and spring for them.

I do jazz band at school. The guys have this joke for me though. After i had played this one song a drummer in the class said "you don't hit the toms hard enough" i replied "i play jazz" (b/c well, it was a jazz song and that drummer is really a rock guy and shouldn't be in the class)

So now they always say "i play jazz" and ****. It's kinda funny.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
too bad we don't have a music section so you could post about this kinda stuff!

my dads got a pretty nice mapex(something like that) I know he puts lots of money into his kit though.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
bobide said:
nice cymbals rock. and i suggest u save up and spring for them.
Yeh, I have just been spending all my money on paintball and r/c(refer to sig:D ) so I hadnt been able to get any yet. It hasnt been important since I was only practicing on my set at home, but now that I am not in school anymore I mainly play my home set and it is starting to bug me.

I played concert\marching drums for 6 years or so before I started set, so I had a little experience coming in. Jazz band was SOOO much fun tho. I seriously wish I could go back to school just for that. After I got the hang of the fills and solos and stuff it was awesome.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
oh yeah, play alongs are nice but actually sitting down and playing and learning how to sense build ups, turnarounds, and all that. Very important.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Thats good you've started. Give it some time, and you may be able to put a band together. Key is practice, and lots of it. I started when I was 11, and practice pays off. Get a practice pad if you can, it helps a lot. Learn to play traditional style if you can, b/c once you learn how to flip-stick, its awesome. Anyways, here's my set
Yamaha YD Series Kit
Shaved tom mounts off bass drum, painted midnight black
Tom holder of some sort( I only use one tom for now)
All Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
Pearl Hardware
Some generic practice pad
I use travis barker signature sticks, 'cause I get them for free from where my uncle works at. Buddy of mine has a 75 Ludwig set, mint condition, and has oldskool zildjian cymbals, sounds sweet as heck
I've been w/ a few bands and put a few demos out, nothing big though
I have a soundboard or whatever, and I'm finishing up our final cd, 11 tracks, took a while to put together; its for a battle of the bands complination cd that's being put together locally, and hopefully if all goes well, we'll get some radioplay. But anyways, in the long run, all that practice is gonna pay off.
Anyways, keep rockin man thumup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts