Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pod pack off of a guy on PBnation for $27.00 inc. shipping. i told him to ship it airmail and make sure he states a low value other wise i will get charged millions of dollers in broker fees.

well, he shipped UPS and it costed him $21.00 to ship GROUND, rather then just not shipping it, he over paid and shipped it anyway, only making 6$ out of the deal.

The way that he shipped it, the postal lady MADE him put $100.00 or over for the value of the pack. so he put $100.00

The pack arrived on friday and they wanted to charge me another 37.55 in broker fees, 19.74 in GST, 2.63 brok GST totaling at $59.92

This is unbelivibly stupid to charge that much, considering shipping has bin payed, and free trade was suposed to take effect like 3 ****ing years ago and the fact that i payed $6.00 for the pack!.

anyways, has anyone else ever delt with duty fees and got charged WAY to much? do you think i have a chance on getting my money back?

PS> i got them to hold the pack in the mail for 10 days until i get somthing worked out, but UPS hasnt contacted me (through email)... ill have to call them i guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cant refuse it, i would be lozing 27$... i paid him 21$ for the pack and pods, pluss another 6$ for shipping, the shipping supposevly cost him 21$ resaulting in a profit of only 6$.. so, if i where to refuse it, the only amount he would probly be willing to give me is 6$...

SPUD CHUCKER...
full OZ-usually $200.00 CAD
half OZ-$115.00 CAD
quarter OZ-$55.00 CAD
eighth-$30.00 CAD Drugs suck though

·
Registered
70 Posts
darren-r said:
anyways, has anyone else ever delt with duty fees and got charged WAY to much? do you think i have a chance on getting my money back?
i deal with duty fees all the time, i get stuff shipped to me from USA all the time. If you believe it was too much you can contact canada customs and state ur case
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/

declaring a low value doesn't always work. i say about 65% of the time it works because customs opens the package anyways. if they open up your "$5 declared value" package and see a $1000 watch, you will be charged customs and taxes on THEIR estimated value of your watch which could be really high.

The trick is to identify the package in a way that customs doesn't open it.
For example:
1. Mark the package as a repair. You cannot be taxed twice on an item. A repair package cannot be a new item, therefore customs will believe it was purchased in the past and duty/customs/taxes fees were paid at THAT time.
2. Mark as commercial sample. These are not sales items. 'nuff said.
3. Mark as gift AND THEN DECLARE A LOW VALUE. Gifts that are marked below $50 cad value are deemed duty free, however taxes may apply. It says so in the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency website.

HOWEVER, be wary of marking valuble packages at a low value. If the delivery services loses it, you will be compensated whatever low value you marked it as.

Brokerage fees are unavoidable, they are the fees the delivery services charges for "handling your item with care"

You want a really good tip? NEVER USE UPS ACROSS THE BORDER. they have stupidly high brokerage fees. Use USPS, brokerage fees are included in the shipping cost and are WAAAAY lower.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wetsnot said:
Brokerage fees are unavoidable, they are the fees the delivery services charges for "handling your item with care".
thats gay,m i paid for shipping, shipping should be done and payed for! not more ****oing cvharges that are unpredictable..

·
Registered
70 Posts
darren-r said:
thats gay,m i paid for shipping, shipping should be done and payed for! not more ****oing cvharges that are unpredictable..
Yes, charging you brokerage fees on top of shipping and separately is BS.
Don't use UPS across the border. I used them once and got hit with $20 brokerage fee on $25 item.
I think UPS is the only major delivery service company that does that. USPS does not do that, and i think FedEx only does that for items that you mark "fragile" i think.
Besides USPS is almost always cheaper than fedex and ups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts