Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
ummm i'd say flatline because you could buy barrels like the boomy for less (Facefull paintball magazine says so anyways) and the flatline makes it easier to pick off people at a distance like in more open areas and it would give you the advantage because other peoples barrels would force them to aim upward at greater distances

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
flatline is 119 i think

but if you were to get a boomy why not just spend the xtra couple and get like a evil pipe kit or freak or sumthing

·
Registered
288 Posts
oCRAZYSPRAYERo said:
flatline is 119 i think

but if you were to get a boomy why not just spend the xtra couple and get like a evil pipe kit or freak or sumthing

I agree

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Id go with the flatline since you like the woods. All you have to do is take care of the flatline and it'll take care of you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think flatlines look ugly on A-5s. I don't know why I would want a whole kit of barrels if I shoot the same paintballs all of the time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
First off the Freak kit is $200 not $100. You can get the Freak Jr. for $130, it comes with a different barrel and back than the full Freak, and you only get three inserts instead of eight. If you don't play very often or don't plan on upgrading your gun anytime soon, the Freak Jr. is a great option. You can also buy additional inserts for ~$20 should you need them.

Having a kit doesn't mean you have a ton of barrels. Two-piece barrel kits typically have one or two fronts with different size diameter backs (usually four or five) that you change out. Sleeve-insert type use one front, one back and varying sized inserts (usually five to eight) that you change out. The benefits speak for themselves; if you play at a field-paint only field you're practically guaranteed to have a back/insert that will match (or come close to matching) the paint size. Paintballs also expand, so your balls that are usually .689 might expand to .691 on a hot, humid day, or they might contract to .685 on a cold day.

My problem with two-piece kits (like the Empire or Evil Pipe) is you're stuck with that same barrel thread, while with an insert kit you can buy a new back for ~$40 and transfer it over to a new gun with different threads. Instead of having to buy the kit twice, why not buy it once and then buy a new back if needed? Now you have one barrel that will work with two guns.

·
Registered
434 Posts
doesn't expand mean get bigger?
Yeah...my mistake. Hey, cut me a break, I just worked a 12-hour shift. My brain's a little on the cooked side right now...

Error corrected thumup:

·
I'm kind of blue
118 Posts
i wouldnt both w/ the 2,i would consider the boomy if it didnt cost so much now, i would go w/ a cp 2-piece and use the rest of the money on a day of play or something, altho people who get the flatline love them so it all comes down to what u like

·
Registered
292 Posts
I tried out the flatline yesterday when i was playing woodsball and I must say its awesome. That extra distance it goes is awesome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i think a flatline would be the biggest waste of money for woodsball. It's not like it's gonna go 100 yds in the woods, and the only reason flatlines go that far is b/c they curve up and down, which is dumb. It may be ok for other stuff, but not woodsball. Get something that is ACCURATE, not capable of distance, I don't understand how something can be accurate while curving up and down, I say get anything BUT the flatline for woodsball

·
Registered
434 Posts
I took the flatline route with my 98, and all I can say is it was nothing but trouble. Now the flatline fanatics can yell until they're blue in the face, but the problems I had (after having the barrel installed by a Tippmann-certified tech) were constant breakage and having the paintball veer off target at the last second. I also had to use premium paintballs to have a chance of not breaking balls every third shot, so that kind of blew away any chance of playing at a field that requires the use of field paint.

Also, the whole "extended range" thing is more of a mis-stated truth; yes, it does shoot further than most other barrels, however the extra range you get isn't worth anything because the ball is going too slow to break upon impact when it gets that far out. It does give you useful flat-line trajectory at regular barrel ranges, but you'd be better off buying a normal two-piece barrel and saving the money (or putting it towards a more worthwhile addon), or buying a barrel kit for roughly the same price that could be moved on to a higher-end gun if that ever happens. In my experience the Freak kit has been far easier to use on its worst day than the flatline was on its best day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts