Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys know anything about this E85? obviously its ethanol, but my dad said that since my truck is a little older it may not take the ethanol well cuz itcan burn up the pistons. this stuff is amazing, right now its $2.78/g here for E85. do u guys have it, or something similar in ur area? have u used it, do u get better/worse mileage?

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
85 Percent ethanol, 15 gas.

It has a higher octane rating than normal gasoline, but tends to produce less milage. It just has less energy per volume than gas. I believe it has more oxygen per volume though so it tends to be 'cleaner' towards your engine as well as emissions. I think it burns slower too, that's why it can be a problem for some cars.

It's basically for 'flex fuel' cars. A new sheetz that was just built by my friends house has a pump for it. On the pump is a list of cars that will handle it.

And despite what the companies will have you believe, flex fuel is not new. I know GM made a big deal about that flex fuel truck they just had at the car shows, but it isn't new. Ford's mid 90's Taurus had FFV (Flex fuel vehicle) options, so you know it was around even before that as well.

Now here's wher it starts to boggle me. The shop manual for my Sebring says it will handle E85. But, my car isn't on the pump list, and the online owners groups have a collective 'awe hell no' outlook on trying it. So...I just buy the cheapest gas I can find.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I wont ever use it, regardless of how much gas costs. High gas has become a fact of life right now. The motor in my car was not designed to run on E85. It was designed to run on gasonline, therefore, I will use only gasonline.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Its cheaper per gallon but you also get less miles to the gallon, so you're going to end up paying the money anyways. Its not really a money issue, its just better for the environment and its a renewable source of energy.

If i'm not mistaken, alcohol burns faster than gasoline. Whenever my parents finish off a bottle of vodka we always run hot water over the bottle (with the top on) to evaporate the remaining liquid, then take the top off and hold a lighter to the opening. For the volume of the bottle, it burns up pretty quickly. Then again, i've never tried doing the same thing with gas instead of alcohol so i dunno. It would just seem to me that the faster it burns, the more force it would have when it ignites while under pressure, resulting in more power per volume of fuel, which wouldnt make any sense since everyone is saying E85 decreases mileage. I guess in that case gas burns faster...

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
E85 is actually more expensive to run than gas because it gets horrible mileage, people just think it's cheaper because it cost less at the pump. It also isn't good on hoses and rubber lines, it eats through them much fster than gas. The only good thing about ethanol is its high octane and renewable. You're really better off sticking with gas.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
if you use E85 i can guarentee you, you will need to start replacing parts of your fuel system in the next couple 1000 miles.

With my experience with fuel pumps. if something OTHER then gasoline goes through that pump, you can say hello to a bill for a new installed pump.

i wouldnt be surprised if it voids the cars warranty, but i doubt theres a way to prove you used the e85

1 - 10 of 10 Posts