Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will probally be working on my uncle's 911 over the summer and i will need some sort of references. (not a car guy himself, isn't very good with hands sort of guy). The thing has not been touched insomething like 5-10 years. This means bad for me. I have not looked at it recently (hopefully will though), and am not sure exacally what year it is, but as far as i know it is early 80's. My main question is that does anyone know where i could get a manual for one or any tips for starting this project? any help appreciated.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Most auto stores will be able to order you the repair manual, or might even have it in stock. Good luck, Porsche 911's are a PITA to work on. You have to take the engine out just to replace the throw-out bearing. :hug:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops, i guess i didn't specify in my first post, i meant a free manual. i have seen many manuals for sale, but i was trying to find out if there was a free internet one, like pdf or something. thanks anyways

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Google.

I've worked on my friend's old 944 and it was a piece of cake. But the 911 has the engine in the rear, so it will probably be a lot more difficult.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
if it hasn't been touched in years, make sure to drain all fluids (or solids :p) from it, and flush them. especially the fuel, that's most likely to be gummed up

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
boy that sounds like fun...

since its been sitting so long i'd replace all the fluids, filters, plugs, wires, etc before doing anything else. might also be a good idea to make sure the rings haven't frozen up in it before you go crankin it over...

i've never worked on a porche, but i know that bimmers are biotches in every aspect.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update!
i found out the year and everything, it is a 1985 911 Carrera Cabriolet. The interior is a total mess. About $5 worth of change laying around, cob webs, a bra and panties (wonder what those where from), shoe box, golf club, torn seats, stained rugs, wires hanging everywhere with a half installed crappy radio, good alpine radio laying near by, and a broken glove box (always open, but will stay up). The bonnet will not shut completely (can fit your fingers under it at all times, then have to unlatch the other part), some of the foam in the boot is coming off, and the aluminum is doing that thing comparable to rust (that you can get off). The motor looks niceand is not rusted or dented so that is definatly a good sign.
paintballwiz14- rennlist is a nice find

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Sounds like you have your hands full, but only really in the cosmetics area (as of right now). The only thing I would really be worried about is stuff dealing with the drivetrain, if the engine, trans, rear, ect is all good than it shouldn't be too bad. But, be forewarned that Porsche parts get expensive fast and the 911 isn't the easiest car to work on. If you need a new fuel pump, an alternator, and plugs and wires, (all of which are pretty common replacement items) that's $800+ right there (not including labor if you get someone else to install them). Anyway, good luck, take pictures, and keep us posted.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
By the way, here are some things to do:

1. drain and replace all the fluids (it's also a good idea to drop the gas tank, oil pan, and take off the valve covers to check for sludge and such)
2. replace the rubber hoses and belt
3. replace plugs and maybe the wires
4. replace the battery (and maybe the cables if there is a lot of corrosion)
5. replace the air filter

Only after I did all that would I try starting it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dooms, you reminded me what i forgot to mention i found, an extra belt in the bonnet! too bad its as old as the car and its also bad. lucky me.
I am guessing i will have to drop the motor and basically do a rebuild but i will try to see if there any real damage or leaky lines before i drop it. but yes, all the parts will be crazy expensive (not to mention the special porsche tools you need for some jobs), but will be worth it in the end. Also does anyone know where i can get a motor stand for cheap or even rent one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts