Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I crashed my damned truck tonight. Was on a dirt road, went around a corner and started sliding. I overcorrected and slid off into the ditch doing ~30(damn ice doenst slow you down at all) and hit a tree. The way it hit, it was lodged inbetween my left front tire and the inner fender. Put a HUGE ass dent in the panel, it bent the damned hood up. All I know so far is that it bent the lower control arm, but it probably did more than that. Happened at like 10:45 ish, about 10 minutes away from my house. I just got back in to my house at 2:00 am. We had to cut the tree down, so I took a part of it home as a souvenier. Had to get a towtruck to pull me out and drag it home. Cost me $200. Right now, im hoping the damage is less than $1000, so I dont have to report it to my insurance company. The police already know, becuase the towtruck called them. My main question is right now, is if I will lose my license. I'm hoping not becuase all the cop did was take my license/insurance/registration and told me to call my insurance company and give them the case number and that they'd handle the rest. I've had my license for just under a year, but no one else was involved, so im hoping i get to keep it.

Excuse the large block of text, but right now im pissed and going off to vent.

Oh yea, the host before you post rule can suck my you know what. Ill try to get pictures in the morning.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
You won't lose your license. Even if someone else was involved you most likely wouldn't lose it, unless you were being reckless or something. But no, you don't get in trouble for an accident like that, you just have to pay for insurance or damages or whatever.

-Jin

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I didnt think that I'd lose it because I have had it for eleven months, and I had a friend who rolled and totalled a taurus and he didnt lose his.

The problem is, I dont have enough money to buy a new vehicle. As of now I dont have a job, and before I payed the towtruck I only had ~$600. Im hoping the worst of it was the control arm. As of right now I'm gonna have to hope my dad will let me borrow his little beater until I get a job.

I planned on getting a new vehicle in the spring, but it looks like it might be earlier than expected. And now I doubt ill be able to convince my dad to let me get a WRX :p.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
I creamed a stop sign going somewhere between 60 and 70 around a corner (in a 35 zone) and didn't get my license taken.

·
Registered
904 Posts
So glad I DON'T have to worry bout ice, except in the early mornings on my window. THen I just take a credit card or some luke warm water and it works like a champ. :p

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked it out with the mechanic. Inner fender might be salvageable, but the outter fender is bent in an easy 6 inches. The hood is rolled under, probably wont even open. Tie rod and upper control arm are both ****ed. We're estimating an easy $600 in parts. I dont know if we're going to report it to the insurance company, becuase in a shop it would be an easy $2k worth of damage, and it would definately be totalled. I have to talk to my dad when he gets home from work, but I dont think we'll report it. Either way, I'm screwed, I think I MIGHT have enough to pay for it, but then I wont have any gas money. We're pulling her into the garage tomorrow to start ripping and tearing.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
It's fun when you hit grass, isn't it? You can't do anything, you just hold on. I did the same thing to the Mazda. I was going around a turn and the back end when out, I got it back but I hit the grass and couldn't do anything and sideswiped a tree. Damage was about $5,000. I didn't get the police involved though.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt want to get the police invovled, but the wrecker guy called them. The way my truck was, there was no way a regular truck coulda yanked me out. Unless we realized that we were pulling a tree out of the ground with me, but even then I doubt anything less than the wrecker coulda pulled me. Hell, it took them and hour and half to yank me out.

Pierced: We'll most likely go junkyard for everything we can. I know the tie rod and control arm we will, but we might get an OEM fender.

1337: I would, but I dont have enough money to buy a new vehicle. Assuming it still runs fine, we wont total it, mostly becuase my dad is a stubborn bastard and the truck was in half decent condition. Yea it had 231k, but it still ran like a champ.

Dooms: yea, Once I spun I lost control period. When I first slid I thought I had it, but then I overcorrected, and after that I was screwed. I cant say I ever got control back. I never touched the brakes though, which most poeple i know do, but I know from earlier experience that brakes+ice=sideways. Not that it would have mattered much. Another problem is that ice doesnt slow you down........ at all. Wouldnt have been so bad if i'd hit the snow sooner and had more time to slow down.

EDIT: Anyone know how to send cameraphone pictures to an email address? I took some pics with my phone, becuase I couldnt find my good camera.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
I'd just get the truck totaled dude..
depending on his insureance toataling it wont do him a bit of good. I only have liability so if I hit a tree and its my fault im stuck with the bill and toataling it wouldnt do a damn bit of good. I dont know his insurance situation so he might come out better toataling it depending on his insurance. What i would do is like i said before hit up some junk/wrecking yards and just fix it your self because that would be your cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, I only have liability. I think tomorrow we're gonna start tearing her apart and see how bad it really is. Assuming the damage isnt to bad and nothing unexpected pops up(i wish), it should be on the road in a week or two. Of course, we all know that when working on vehicles, there is always some unexpected problem.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Well if you only have liability then don't total it.. Common sense. I figured you'd have full coverage or comprehensive.

Don't report it. It won't do any good if you do.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We didnt. Worked on it for ~2 and half hours after school and got the inner and outter fender, hood and wheelwell off. Also got the tie rod half way off. Damn tie rod was almost broken in half. I'd post some pictures, but my cell phone is being a douchebag and wont send em to my email. Ill see if I can steal my dad's GF's camera to get some decent pics.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, so I just got it all back together and my dad's friend took it in to his shop for an alignment. All good right? Wrong. Apparently the front U-Joint on the rear driveshaft is gone. Atleast that's what im hoping. If it is, then it's not to bad, only $15 and a few hours of work. If it isnt and it's anything expensive, I'm going to talk to my dad about seeing what I can get for it and picking up a hella cheap beater. I'm already nearly broke from the accident, and there is a tool concert up that I really want to go to. ****ing old vehicles.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
if ur u joint was literally gone, your driveshaft would be on the floor.. lol if it's just ****ed, it'll take like 15 minutes to replace, and then another like 15-20 to put the driveshaft back in.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it's obvoiusly still there, it's just ****ed. I'm going to replace it, because it's cheap, but if anythign to expensive breaks im selling the truck becuase I cant afford to fix it. The thing's got 231k on it, it could die any second.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts