Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The End of the Internet?
By Jeff Chester The Nation Wednesday 01 February 2006

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies are crafting an alarming set of strategies that would transform the free, open and nondiscriminatory Internet of today to a privately run and branded service that would charge a fee for virtually everything we do online.

Verizon, Comcast, Bell South and other communications giants are developing strategies that would track and store information on our every move in cyberspace in a vast data-collection and marketing system, the scope of which could rival the National Security Agency. According to white papers now being circulated in the cable, telephone and telecommunications industries, those with the deepest pockets - corporations, special-interest groups and major advertisers - would get preferred treatment. Content from these providers would have first priority on our computer and television screens, while information seen as undesirable, such as peer-to-peer communications, could be relegated to a slow lane or simply shut out.

Under the plans they are considering, all of us - from content providers to individual users - would pay more to surf online, stream videos or even send e-mail. Industry planners are mulling new subscription plans that would further limit the online experience, establishing "platinum," "gold" and "silver" levels of Internet access that would set limits on the number of downloads, media streams or even e-mail messages that could be sent or received.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060213/chester

It is?!

It seems like a matter of time really.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
No. This cannot happen. If it does it goes against everything right and good in the world. I will not stand for it.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
won't work.

all it takes is 1 person with some insight and money to continue the internet we know today and he'll get all the buisness of everyone smart enough to not sell out and switch over.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
bobide said:
won't work.

all it takes is 1 person with some insight and money to continue the internet we know today and he'll get all the buisness of everyone smart enough to not sell out and switch over.
The Open Source community would outrage. This seems entirely too unrealistic for me to buy into, though.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
TonyD246 said:
The Open Source community would outrage. This seems entirely too unrealistic for me to buy into, though.
i wouldn't put it past those industries to be thinking of such a plan. But they know that they will never truely get it to work, as you mentioned the open source people would not allow it. Hell i can forsee linux's user agreement being modified so that the core version (the one that is freeware, which all the other ones that companys have cooked up themselves draw from) would not be allowed to run on servers that are hooked up to that net. Granted there would then be a shift to whatever microsoft is providing.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
PBaholic #14
1,553 Posts
Like others have already said all it takes is one guy who says "hey ill let you use it whenever you want and do whatever you want on it for .50$ a year!"

and even though it may not seem like much.... that will be one rich ass man :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
how can they do that? they cant, pure and simply
just think how the internet works
its just a bunch of computers linked together, so how could companies make you pay for something thats not even theirs? Right now you are just playing to connect to everything. If they did do this, you would see a second "underground" internet form of just people hosting their own sites on their networks.
You shouldnt believe everything you read on the internet, such as girls wont flock to you (unlike you might think from some videos) and not all chicks do it (like some videos)

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I thought of the exact same thing. They will never be able to control the free will and motivation of individual people.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
when tv first came out, there were no commercials, and people flipped when commercials started airing. now we dont even think twice about it.

i dont think anything like this would ever go through, but if it does, we'll get used to it, or resort to free underground internet stuff like limewire or whatever

1 - 20 of 23 Posts