Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a dell inspiron 8000 for a pretty good price.(ancient, I know)

The problem is that it's not finding the primary hard drive, I've never owned a laptop so i have no idea where the hard drive even is so i can see if it's not connected or something simple like that. I can't boot off a windows disk, or any dell recovery disks that came with it either...or may I can, but because of my next problem I just don't know it.

Another problem is that my screen makes a weird buzzing/high pitch sound after about 10 seconds of being on then goes dead, I don't even have time to see more than the first screen of the bios

one last thing. He warned me it needed a new battery and I see int he bios that it's true. even though the battery is in, it's not charged after sitting plugged in all night(I'm able to open the screen every few min and see the bios for 10 seconds or so)

Are these problems fixable or should I tell the guy i bought it from to expect it to be back at his doorstep?

·
12,110 Posts
Give it back.

Dell laptops are absolutely horrible. My school has a contract with Dell, where Dell sucks teh school off and the school gets discoutned laptops... Only for the same price they ask you can get a top of the line ASUS...

If you really want, you might try getting a new battery (1st priority), troubleshooting the hard drive (if you flip the notebook upside down its under one of those panels, check them all), and putting linux and a wifi card in it.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
my first priority is making sure the hard drive works. I figured it was hiding underneath all those panels. I'll open it up and see what I can find out.

yes linux is in the plan for this ancient beast.

updates to come:
got the hard drive out. I also found space for more ram
I took the drive out, blew inside the connection hole to free anything that may have been in there and slid it back in....same problem. It's a Hitachi 20 gig drive

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it. If he said it was working, then send it back.

If you keep it, replace the floppy disk drive with another laptop CD drive. If you had two of them, it would be sick and unique.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a floppy/extra battery slot why would I need two cd players?

anyhow, I found 20 gig drives on ebay that sell for next to nothing at fit this laptop. I bet i can get him to pay me the difference seeing how it was sold as working.

This leaves me with the screen problem...any ideas what it could be?

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
How much did you spend and what are the specs? Hard to tell if its worth keeping...

Dell generally makes rather good computer products with good tech support (I know many of you will disagree with this assertion)... is it still under warranty?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I spent $175 and it cames with a amazing wireless router, two wireless cards. random software, a video card extra(i think it's a video card..the guy got it and didn't know anything about it) It's only got 256 mb memory though.

I'm talkign with dell support right now.

under warrantee? lol no that ended in 2004.

the agent I'm talking to doesn't seem to be treating me like an idiot:( Maybe cuz I'm telling him about what things say in the bios before he even ask. lol.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1:13:47 AM Customer Adam McDermott:this is the inspiron 8000
1:14:42 AM Customer Adam McDermott:Then there is a buzzing/hissing sound and the screen shuts off. If i close the lid for a few min and open it, the process repeats itself
1:15:08 AM Agent Pawan_110080:That sound can be from the hard drive
1:15:23 AM Agent Pawan_110080:So we need to run the test or we need to try another hard drive and check
1:15:31 AM Agent Pawan_110080:Therefore you need to try the other hard drive
1:15:40 AM Customer Adam McDermott:how about if i take the dard drive out and power it on?
1:15:58 AM Agent Pawan_110080:If you do not get the same issue after installing the other hard drive, then the current hard drive is bad
1:16:03 AM Agent Pawan_110080:Yes
1:16:03 AM Agent Pawan_110080:You can do that
1:16:18 AM Agent Pawan_110080:But the system will not boot in that case
1:16:30 AM Agent Pawan_110080 :You can only check for noise by taking out the hard drive
1:16:31 AM Customer Adam McDermott:yeah i know
1:16:44 AM Customer Adam McDermott:the noise still occurs and the screen still goes dead
1:16:48 AM Agent Pawan_110080:We need to check if the system runs fine without noise on the other hard drive
1:17:03 AM Agent Pawan_110080:Then it can be some other component like dvd drive
1:17:04 AM Customer Adam McDermott:well the noise stops once the screen goes dead
1:17:48 AM Customer Adam McDermott:so I assume it's an issue with the screen. the onyl drive i have still in this is the dvd drive
1:18:19 AM Agent Pawan_110080:It can be the LCD screen
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
conclusion:
my lcd is bad and so is the hard drive.($12ish for another 20 gig, i bought a 200g external so no biggie) Teh tech guy was no able tot ell me a price to replace the lcd, nor could he tell me where to find one. (around $100 on ebay for a new one)

I'm thinking about asking the guy to refund me the money or I'm sending it back.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I love Dell's customer service, it always gives me a good laugh. It is also very helpful in the end.

And the thing about the laptop drives, they are all removable. At least on the Dell's. I've replaced mine once before, It only required 1 screw.

www.images.google.com Look up a Inspiron 8000, and in the first page of pics you will see what I am talking about. Also, you have seen desktops with two CD drives, its very useful.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got two drives in my desktop. I had 3 at one time. The only useful thing if for is if you wanna rip cds or not flip through cds all the time. I'm gonna buy another 20 gig hard drive on ebay for $15 or something. I dont' need anything enemorous as all it'll hold is my OS and other critical programs.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I called Dell today, my bluetooth was acting up. I ended up removing all my RAM, my hard drive, my wireless card, taking my keyboard off. when it was all over, the laptop was in worse shape than it was before that.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never understood the point of bluetooth when you can use wireless technology instead. My tech guy had me take off the lcd screen to make sure it was the problem. Not liek it matters, to replace the part it had to come off anyway.

I got lucky cuz the seller said he's pay fro the new lcd converter. he said it'll take a week or so to get the money though.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Eh, it was like a 50-100dollar upgrade with my laptop, and it was useful while it worked. I dont even think I had a realy big problem with the bluetooth, my usb ports didnt always work. Sometimes I would get a good start up, other times a bad one. They told me to reinstall windows and i told him to **** off, I had important documents. Its a hardware issue because its happened a few times. I might be getting new hardware all around. Im almost positive I am getting a new wireless card. I also know that I am getting ihinges for teh LCD, those things suck and loosen up after being used for a while. I am gunna go for a new harddrive too, that shouldnt be to hard. If i wanted new memory, that would be dificult because we already tested it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts