Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, rearranged it a little.

If you get this thread closed, I will kick your ass.

This time, discussion as well as your vote is appreciated.
I've put into bold the key points of each summary.

from Wikipedia
Intelligent design (ID) is the assertion that empirical evidence supports the conclusion that the initial life on earth, and perhaps some of its present details, was deliberately designed by one or more intelligent agents; additionally, or alternately, it may include the idea that different empirical evidence supports a similar conclusion regarding the universe itself.

The phrase "intelligent design", used in this sense, arose from creationist literature and found its first widely distributed expression in the textbook Of Pandas and People (Haughton Publishing Company, Dallas, 1989). It was promoted more broadly by legal scholar Phillip E. Johnson in his 1991 book Darwin on Trial. (The term had already been in use for many years as a synonym for "good design", as opposed to unintelligent or bad design.) Johnson's assertion, and a key tenet of the ID movement, is Theistic realism, and the rejection of philosophical naturalism, which they characterise as mere materialism.

Some ID proponents argue that the standard scientific model of evolution by natural selection is insufficient to explain the origin, complexity, and diversity of life, in light of instances of irreducible complexity and specified complexity. Some, in a view that may be compatible with evolution, argue that the universe is "fine tuned" for living things in a manner that must have been by design.

ID makes no explicit claims about the identity of the designer, but asserts that the motive was to create or make life possible and that the method is some form of applied intelligence.
from Wikipedia
Evolution generally refers to any process of change over time. In the context of life science, evolution is a change in the genetic makeup of a population of interbreeding individuals within a species. Since the emergence of modern genetics in the 1940s, evolution has been defined more specifically as a change in the frequency of alleles from one generation to the next.

The word "evolution" is often used as a shorthand for the modern theory of evolution of species based upon Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection, which states that all modern species are the products of an extensive process that began over three billion years ago with simple single-celled organisms, and Gregor Mendel's theory of genetics.
from Wikipedia
Creationism is generally the belief that the universe and life was created by a deity, or by one or more powerful and intelligent beings through supernatural, theistic, or mythological means (see demiurge). Creationism, therefore, is often linked to theistic interpretations of nature.

However, the term creationism is most often used to describe the acceptance of a particular religion's accounts of creation as historically accurate. Creationism in this sense most often relates to the account given by the Abrahamic religions (as described in the biblical book of Genesis), whose god, creationists believe, created the world and everything in it. Creationist beliefs are typically in conflict with scientific explanations of the origins and development of the universe, the Earth, and life. The validity of creationism as a means of explaining origins is overwhelmingly rejected by mainstream science.

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll accept intelligent design as soon as I see some proof for it. And that will never happen.

Humans are logical beings. Religion is not logical. In this way creationism and evolution are contrary to each other. Intelligent design is an attempt at combing them, and it is not a valid combination.

And I will NEVER send my children to a school where it is mandated. And there are places.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
I have always believed in evolution, I see the facts that support it, I don’t see tangible evidence that supports creationism. I really don’t care if any of you disagree, while I know some of you will, but my vote goes to evolution.

However, I can see the possibility of Intelligent Design. I find it much more believable that we were placed here by "aliens” than by some deity.

Something that I believe supports this most likely crazy theory is the belief that Aliens had an important role to play in ancient times. Egyptians, Mayans, Incas, Ancient India. All of these cultures developed structures using primitive bronze tools that we cant even begin to start to build with modern technology. I think it's possible that some "Aliens" came to earth, and gave knowledge and wisdom to these ancient peoples that has since then been lost. Another interesting thing is pyramids. How can cultures, thousands of miles away, build pyramids at around the same time period, with near or exact dimensions. It boggles the mind.

Even though I don’t actually belief that, it is still something interesting to think about. I have always believed in evolution, I see the facts that support it, I don’t see tangible evidence that supports creationism

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marbles said:
Why was the other topic deleted?
This one is better.

It is unfathomable how long it takes for humans to evolve.
To put the time it takes for humans to evolve into perspective:

Imagine the tallest skyscraper you can.
If the first floor is the time of the dinosaurs, one layer of paint on the roof is that of humans.

And that doesn't take into account the BILLIONS of years the universe has been around for. It is impossible to wrap your mind around just how long that is. Likewise for the 250 million years since the dinosaurs.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Creationism.
More specifically: Christianity
And proud of it. Any flames, comments, questions, asparagus, opinions, ect. go to my PM box please.

Since I dont support evolution or the other thing, apparently I can't give my reasons publicly. Please PM me if you want to talk.

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chromekilla said:
However, I can see the possibility of Intelligent Design. I find it much more believable that we were placed here by "aliens” than by some deity.
Interesting interpretation of ID. It never occured to me the theory encompasses 'aliens'. The only thing that the advocates of intelligent design insist on is that evolution is too random and improbable to exist. So something "coaxed" the process along. It could be aliens, but chances are people beleive it is 'god'. But hey, Aliens work too thumup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
MrMacDude said:
This one is better.

It is unfathomable how long it takes for humans to evolve.
To put the time it takes for humans to evolve into perspective:

Imagine the tallest skyscraper you can.
If the first floor is the time of the dinosaurs, one layer of paint on the roof is that of humans.

And that doesn't take into account the BILLIONS of years the universe has been around for. It is impossible to wrap your mind around just how long that is. Likewise for the 250 million years since the dinosaurs.
So, you are saying we evolved from dinosaurs?

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
MrMacDude said:
I'll accept intelligent design as soon as I see some proof for it. And that will never happen.

Humans are logical beings. Religion is not logical. In this way creationism and evolution are contrary to each other. Intelligent design is an attempt at combing them, and it is not a valid combination.

And I will NEVER send my children to a school where it is mandated. And there are places.
And who says humans are logical beings? You?

I see plenty of things that are illogical and result from human stupidity. While nature is logical, the human intellect allows for illogical and senseless acts and occurrences.

Your point is invalid.

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dhill0413 said:
And who says humans are logical beings? You?

I see plenty of things that are illogical and result from human stupidity. While nature is logical, the human intellect allows for illogical and senseless acts and occurrences.

Your point is invalid.
Your face is invalid. Just kidding.
Obviously people make illogical decisions, thats not hte point.

Humans are logical. Western civilization is the epitomy of that. We have taken Aristotalian logic, in its flawed form, and used it to create rationalism, upon which all discoveries are based. This is how newton quantified gravity, and how Faraday discovered the capacitor.

D

·
0 Posts
well... creationism isnt my thing.. if there is some greater being.. its impossible that some religion has got it.. especially not christianity..

at the same time.. i think things back as far as i can.. and i get to the big bang theory.. then i think.. well.. what caused it, what made the materials that came from it..

but at the same time.. we are SO tiny in terms of the universe.. why would all of that space and stuff be made if everything was created just for us?

i think theres some thing out there messing around with ****.. but.. i dont think we are the favoured beings.. not at all.. and theres definitely other **** out there..

but to think that we all came about by just random chance.. ya dont feel as special.. but certainly grateful...

but the things just to huge.. our rational minds cant put perspective to anything when you think that big.. gah!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm not going to let my "R" beliefs take over on this one. So I'm supportive of evolution. If we could prove we are the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe, then something REALLY freaky must be going on. I don't even think we have discovered all planets in our galaxy yet.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts