Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have been scoping through some of the older threads on the forum and have seen some posts here and there about this famous hack. Can you all fill me in about this hack that was so bad? Maybe just some background info on it, how you got PBF back, etc....

D

·
0 Posts
yeah, we lost all forums except the lounge.
At there time there were a few moderators that had their status striped and some hard feelings. No one knows for sure who did what.. but it was pretty ****ty.

·
PbF Supp/Beer Expert
4,512 Posts
Everything was deleted but the lounge. Therefore we did EVERYTHING in the lounge. Honestly it was quite fun minus the whole point of us being HACKED! The hacker was Avanters. He started pretty much all of the post pics of your markers so you can see his posts there.

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) Why did Avanters hack?
2) So, the lounge was the ONLY section for a few days?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
It's an interesting story, to say the least.

The day the forum was hacked, you couldn't even get to the Lounge. You just got a big message saying something like "PBF Got HACKED!" along with the name of some hacker.

There were two factions really - those who trusted Avanters, and those who did not. It was pretty suspicious of him to randomly appear the moment after the forum was hacked. He was an expert in php and web stuff, so he was able to bring the forum back up, but could only get the Lounge back. Apparently he also got in touch with Cobra (former owner of PBF) and was made an Admin, to "help bring the forum back up to speed."

Eventually he left due to all the negativity around him, and hasn't been back since.

*Edit* Another few threads regarding the real hack:
http://www.paintballforum.com/lounge/72741-forum-still-being-hacked-heres-why.html
http://www.paintballforum.com/lounge/72759-forum-still-being-hacked-heres-why.html
http://www.paintballforum.com/lounge/72064-mod-no-more.html

I forget if the hack is the reason the famous prank thread is gone or not, but I know the resulting thread is still alive: You have been punked.

-Jin, Unofficial PBF Historian :hug:

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok from what ive read, Avanters hacked PBF and mike did a prank hack?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Pretty sure that's referring to this thread.
You just won the game. Seriously. You win everything.

Do you know how many times we've (myself and many others) tried to find that thread? In fact I want to know how you found it, since when I search by username for 'Mike' it never comes up. :tup

-Jin

D

·
0 Posts
My theory on the matter is that avanters was some guy that tried to hack, accidentally deleted all the **** and then tried to cover his ass by claiming to have saved the forum..

either that or lableskate and zidaine paid some nerd to do it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Zidaine never got banned. He was the guy with the mag, nice guy.

All I know is, the hack was crazy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts