-Very very nice graphics
-Good character customization
-In depth quests
-Ever expanding world & tons of side quests
-Easy to learn battle system
-Varied races and jobs
-Huge world
-Good PC/NPC interaction
-Basically everything you can expect from a good Square game with the excellent online features needed to make it a top notch game.

Cons:
-$50 price tag, plus $12.95 a month (first month is free), plus an additional $1 a month if you want to play the Tetra Master card game (not worth it, IMO), plus an additional $1 a month per extra character you make.
-Some in game rules tick me off. Like losing EXP when you die. Though I suppose it's necessary to make some pentalty. Also, I don't like the no PK (Player Kill) rule/feature. And there are basically a ton of restrictions to prevent a person from 'mastering' all job classes.
-The server you play on is randomly selected, so unless you keep making & deleting your character, you may not get to play with your friends. (This can be overcome by you friend purchasing a World Pass for you).
-Tons of controls and shortcuts take time to get use to.
-Size of the world can be overwhelming at some points (but beneficial, overall)

To sum it up, I only recommend FFXI for serious MMORPG fans. I don't expect this to be something your casual gamer would go buy, especially with the heavy price tag. But for the 5 hours or so that I have played it, the experience has been great. In fact, I would be playing right now, but the servers are down for bug fixes/updates. It's good to know that the staff is working hard to ensure that FFXI stays an enjoyable experience for years to come.

~Jinjiro

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I misunderstood some things, and while mastering everything is still a hard and daunting task, it's not as impossible as I thought.

Previously I thought I had heard that if you change job classes (which you can have 2 of, eventually) then your previous class is set back to level 0. That is not the case however.

~Jin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts