Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally upgrading my computer after 6 or 7 years of my awesome budget PC that I built.

I'm looking for something that will handle the sweet new (or somewhat old) games that are out, such as Crysis, World In Conflict, Orange Box, COD4, Gears of War, Oblivion, Doom 3, etc.

Here's what I'm looking at...

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe or M2A-VM (or equivalent). Not sure which chipset is better. I've read reviews going either way. I do like the features of the M2N, but I won't be using SLI. Any ideas or opinions on this?

Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 5600+, or 5200+. Again not sure on how big the performance differences are between these in real-world application. I like the idea of 2MB of cache - any big pros or cons to the 1MB 65nm version of the 5200+? I guess I'm looking for best bang for the buck.

Video card I'm looking at a GeForce 8800GT, but the good prices ($250) are out of stock and all I can find are on eBay for ~$300+. I guess I'll wait for it, perhaps?

WD 500GB SATA3 hard drive.

Probably 2GB of PC2 6400 Crucial. Anyone notice a huge difference between 6400 and 8500 (or equivalent)?

-Jin

·
Don't mess wit da Force
563 Posts
Actually, I JUST (a week ago) ordered myself a sweet new desktop. I have been using this laptop for 2 years now...and....its lacking in the power department for online gaming. How much are you willing to spend? I found a sweet website where you can pretty much hand-pick the parts you want in your comp, and they build it for you, slap a warranty on it, and send it to you. I originally wanted to spend a little over 1k, but i got carried away and ended up spending 1.7k hahaha.

I havent looked too hard into amd, because i have been impressed with intel based upon reviews and benchmark scores. They have a 2.4GHz quad core which is great for overclocking if your into it, and will give you amazing power.

I was looking into the 8800 series video cards myself, but didnt want to spend that much money, even though they are kickass. I got a SLI board, so i went ahead and just got 2 8600gts cards. performance should be close to an 8800gt, but nearly $100 cheaper. unless you can get an 8800 for a good price, i would recommend running SLI.

And as for the memory, I hear the crucial is an excellent brand. The main different between the 6400 and the 8500 is the FSB. 6400 is running at 800MHz, and the 8500 is running at 1066MHz. Basically, FSB is the bottleneck in which the CPU talks to the memory and the rest of the chipset. To explain this in as few words as possible, the higher the fsb, the faster the CPU can talk to the rest of the computer, and make it run faster.

i myself ordered 2X 1Gb DDR2 1066(PC2 8500)Corsair Dominator ram because i want a faster machine. I have not used 800MHz ram, so i cant compare it, but i can only assume that the difference wouldn't be significant.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm an IT guy, so don't worry, I actually understand everything you're talking about in regards to the FSB. I just wasn't sure how much of a difference there was between 800mhz and 1066.

Oh, and I've completely changed what I'm getting. I'm going for an Intel - Q6600. Still gunna get the 8800GT, and I think I'm going to try out some G.SKILL RAM - the price is excellent, and it has great reviews.

The hard drive is probably what I'm most undecided about. I'd really like 500GB, but I'm way over my budget already. I may have to go for 100GB or something and upgrade later, but I'm going to try my best to get a 250GB.

Oh, and I'm going to get a Zalman CNPS9500 - they seem to perform awesomely.

-Jin

·
Don't mess wit da Force
563 Posts
I'm an IT guy, so don't worry, I actually understand everything you're talking about in regards to the FSB. I just wasn't sure how much of a difference there was between 800mhz and 1066.

Oh, and I've completely changed what I'm getting. I'm going for an Intel - Q6600. Still gunna get the 8800GT, and I think I'm going to try out some G.SKILL RAM - the price is excellent, and it has great reviews.

The hard drive is probably what I'm most undecided about. I'd really like 500GB, but I'm way over my budget already. I may have to go for 100GB or something and upgrade later, but I'm going to try my best to get a 250GB.

Oh, and I'm going to get a Zalman CNPS9500 - they seem to perform awesomely.

-Jin
Wow, excellent!! Thats the same processor im getting :D I was looking at reviews for heatsinks and such, and I dont think i like the one i got. I got the CoolerMaster Aquagate S1 Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System, and i was all happy that its liquid cooling. But after reading an extensive amount of reviews, i think i prefer the Zalman's as well.

Anyways, I think you have the right idea in mind hehe. GL, and lmk how you end up likeing it!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got a gig of G.Skill ram in my ageing machine and it works like a charm. Granted mine is regular old DDr and not DDR2 or anything special like that but still. I would definately go with an 8800GT, just wait till you can find one of the cheap ones, they're amazing from what I hear.

As for a hard drive, a 250gb shouldnt hurt your budget to bad, and like you said you can always get a 500GB later or another 250gb and raid them. Or you could be lazy like me and jsut stick them in as seperate drives :p.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts